U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:34 AM

15 posts, read 7,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Are city busses fairly reliable for riding around town? How costly?
Depends on where you're going. I would say most of the heavier routes, ones that run every 10 minutes or less during rush hour are definitely reliable, though they can get crowded. It's $2.50 with cash but if you get a SEPTA Key Card it is only $2. If you are staying around Center City and South Philly you should have no problem with the busses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:52 AM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
It's a big city, with thousands of options at your doorstep. And Philly has grown up a ton from its cheesteseak and Pizza roots of yesteryear. As someone else mentioned check out lists like this - find a particular type of cuisine you like and enjoy: https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/50-best-restaurants/

^Zahav, #8 on that list, was just named the Best Restaurant in America: https://philly.eater.com/2019/5/6/18...ers-2019-zahav

For a cheesesteak near your hotel - head to Cleavers - on 18th street.
Cleavers is solid. I work right around the corner from there and we get it every Friday.

For something a little different, try the buffalo chicken hoagie. It'll change your life.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:07 AM

364 posts, read 135,575 times
The only problem I have with that place is the interior looks like it was designed by the standard chain sandwich shop. Is that a Pot Belly or a Jimmy John's? Nope, it's a local cheesesteak place.

By comparison, you would get a much more authentic experience at Steve's at 16th and Chestnut. (And in my opinion a better steak.)

Old 09-04-2019, 11:13 AM

502 posts, read 879,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
How much cheaper, considering that his wife is there, too, meaning that the cost will be two train tickets but only one cab fare?
One way fare to CC is probably ~$6ea. It's only $10 from Chestnut Hill to the Airport one way. Faster/cleaner/cheaper. Wouldn't even consider a cab.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 AM

2,172 posts, read 6,795,188 times
OP see my DM

Old 09-04-2019, 11:31 AM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
Honestly, it's whatever you're up for. UBER is easy AF and very convenient. So is the train.

If you're a train type, take the train. If you like to sit in the back of a car while your driver takes you to your destination, I'd go with UBER.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,575,325 times
The train from the airport is above ground regional rail, and is nice and comfortable. Unless OP is traveling with unusual amount of luggage, the train is a convenient mode of transport. Plus, the trains have one or two conductors who sell tickets on board, so it is not even something one needs to "figure out". I think it is cash only, so as long as you have $30 total for the two of you (it will actually cost less than $30 total), taking the SEPTA regional rail is a good option.

But if you are a fan of Uber and Lyft, go for it. But it is not at all essential for airport to Center City Philly.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,575,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
The train from the airport is above ground regional rail, and is nice and comfortable. Unless OP is traveling with unusual amount of luggage, the train is a convenient mode of transport. Plus, the trains have one or two conductors who sell tickets on board, so it is not even something one needs to "figure out". I think it is cash only, so as long as you have $30 total for the two of you (it will actually cost less than $30 total), taking the SEPTA regional rail is a good option.

But if you are a fan of Uber and Lyft, go for it. But it is not at all essential for airport to Center City Philly.
As wisertime states a few posts above, the total one way fare for both of you from airport to center city will be under $15. Just want to correct my exaggerated amount above.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:00 AM

353 posts, read 142,449 times
I second what NewtownBucks said; it sounds like you're coming here for pleasure, you'll have bags, and you're staying at a nice hotel. In my mind, it's always better to have your cab roll-up to the hotel door and then give your bags to the bellhop. The alternative is dealing with your bags and unfamiliar train routes/schedules, and then walking up to the hotel tired and probably frustrated. If my above assumptions are accurate, spend the extra money and do it in style (maybe save money by taking the train on the way back to the airport at the end of the trip).

The Logan is my favorite hotel I've been to in Philly; it has the major museums to one side of it, and the Rittenhouse Square restaurants to the other. City Tap House is right by the hotel, and recommended, especially if you're looking for something close to the hotel. I also recommend Continental Midtown; it's not going to be on any of Philly's best-of lists, but I think it's the quintessential Stephen Starr restaurant and it's fun/chic without being too expensive. Also, don't overlook the hotel's restaurant Urban Farmer; I always thought it was very good (especially by hotel restaurant standards) and I hear good things about the rooftop bar there.

Zahav is great, but a tough reservation to get. If you have an Amex Platinum card; they have an arrangement where it's easier to get a reservation through their concierge, but you still need to call 2+ months in advance for that to work.

It's a little off-the-beaten path (but only a block from South Street); I also recommend 4th Street Deli. It's almost 100 years old and better than any NYC deli I've been to, in my experience. It should get more tourists than it does.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:44 AM

230 posts, read 119,423 times
Yeah I think everyone here is trying to sell SEPTA for some reason lol. While the train from the airport is nice, it's also more convenient just to have an Uber or Lyft drop you off wherever you want to go. It'll be more expensive, but that's the price you pay. One less thing to worry about imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or