U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,234,938 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Philly in late October. My wife has a conference and I am tagging along for the ride. We will stay at the Logan Hotel. About how much is cab fare to there from the airport?

I will walk the area while she is in meetings. What are some good places nearby for Philly cheese steak hoagies? Any good pizza places? Good dinner restaurants? I don’t drink much but may get a beer somewhere. Any bars to recommend?

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 08:44 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,631,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
We are visiting Philly in late October. My wife has a conference and I am tagging along for the ride. We will stay at the Logan Hotel. About how much is cab fare to there from the airport?

I will walk the area while she is in meetings. What are some good places nearby for Philly cheese steak hoagies? Any good pizza places? Good dinner restaurants? I don’t drink much but may get a beer somewhere. Any bars to recommend?

Thanks for any feedback.
Save the cab fare. Take the Septa regional rail airport train from the airport to Suburban Station. The Logan Hotel, which was previously the Four Seasons, is about 3 blocks away from the station.

Check out the Philadelphia Magazine for restaurant suggestions for starters.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 AM

15 posts, read 7,465 times
I second taking the train. It will be much cheaper, the ride is quite pleasant and I believe they run every 30 minutes so you won't have to wait long. Nearby is Steve's prince of steaks which is pretty good. You are also walking distance from the Reading Terminal Market which is amazing and you can basically get any type of food your heart desires!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:04 AM

583 posts, read 275,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
I second taking the train. It will be much cheaper, the ride is quite pleasant and I believe they run every 30 minutes so you won't have to wait long. Nearby is Steve's prince of steaks which is pretty good. You are also walking distance from the Reading Terminal Market which is amazing and you can basically get any type of food your heart desires!
Yep. The train is the way to go. You can grab a ticket from the kiosk right on the platform, which you walk right by on your way to catch a cab.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 AM

514 posts, read 228,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
How much cheaper, considering that his wife is there, too, meaning that the cost will be two train tickets but only one cab fare?

Old 09-03-2019, 11:37 AM

386 posts, read 781,689 times
Hmmm, dragging bags on the train can be super annoying during rush hour. My personal preference is for uber or lyft which should be easy to get at the airport. It's been awhile so I am not sure on the price but I think it would be pretty reasonable to downtown. If you take a cab, there is a flat fee of $29 or so from the airport to anywhere in center city. I used to work at the Four Seasons Hotel (before it was the Logan Hotel). You will be in a great location. I personally loved Joe's Pizza on 16th Street (walkable to the hotel) but there are so many good pizza places nearby. I agree with the suggestion to walk to the Terminal Market. I loved getting a cannoli from Termini Brothers and some desserts from the Amish. I also agree with the suggestion for Steve's Prince of Steaks for a cheesesteak. October is a great time to go as well, weather wise. Enjoy the trip

Old 09-03-2019, 11:44 AM

386 posts, read 781,689 times
Sorry wanted to add, I love Ralph's on 9th Street in South Philadelphia for Italian. You would have to take a cab or uber/lyft to get there. It is a small, tightly packed restaurant and is cash only. Davio's is good too which is more upscale and walkable from your hotel.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:14 PM

172 posts, read 104,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

Thanks for any feedback.
It's a big city, with thousands of options at your doorstep. And Philly has grown up a ton from its cheesteseak and Pizza roots of yesteryear. As someone else mentioned check out lists like this - find a particular type of cuisine you like and enjoy: https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/50-best-restaurants/

^Zahav, #8 on that list, was just named the Best Restaurant in America: https://philly.eater.com/2019/5/6/18...ers-2019-zahav

For a cheesesteak near your hotel - head to Cleavers - on 18th street.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:31 PM

I'm getting hungry hearing of these places. I love food of all kinds but I'm thinking I'll stick to hoagies and pizza while wife is in her meetings, and scout places for us to have dinner later.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Are city busses fairly reliable for riding around town? How costly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or