U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 2,315 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Philadelphia. I saw a thread on here about interracial dating however it was a few years old(2014) so starting a new one as things change with time. I will be moving from the Maryland/DC area where there is a great deal of Diversity which I love. NY is not that far from Philly and I know for a fact that NY does not have a problem with Interracial dating. NY is a great melting pot of people. I have been to Philly many many times over the past 20 years and have not seen as many interracial couples. From those of you who live in Philly or are in interracial relationships what is the pulse in Philly?

Though it is close to NY it is still a much different vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 AM

15 posts, read 7,460 times
Hi, while not as diverse as the DC area, Philadelphia is still a very diverse area. In most neighborhoods you should have no problem. I am currently in an interracial relationship and we never had any issues, comments or looks. The only time anything about race was brought up was when I was walking in Center City with my friend (we are not and never have dated) and she is black and I'm white. Another black man came up to me and said "you better treat this black woman as the queen that she deserves to be." We just laughed it off. Furthermore the neighborhoods that used to be more notorious for racism in Philadelphia are changing into some of Philly's most diverse neighborhoods like the Lower Northeast or deep South Philly. Bridesburg probably isn't the move though.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comute18 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Philadelphia. I saw a thread on here about interracial dating however it was a few years old(2014) so starting a new one as things change with time. I will be moving from the Maryland/DC area where there is a great deal of Diversity which I love. NY is not that far from Philly and I know for a fact that NY does not have a problem with Interracial dating. NY is a great melting pot of people. I have been to Philly many many times over the past 20 years and have not seen as many interracial couples. From those of you who live in Philly or are in interracial relationships what is the pulse in Philly?

Philadelphia is so much smaller than NY that's a big reason why you have not seen as many here. But I see mixed couples all the time...every day along with mixed children. Some of it is neighborhood dependent though.

Proximity to NYC is either a PintheA or a boon, imo.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 PM

524 posts, read 206,992 times
I’m in an interracial, gay relationship and I’d rather be here than much of the country, tbh. I see plenty of interracial couples myself. We haven’t encountered any problems, but we of course use street smarts while navigating our lives through the city. Navigating carefully honestly has more to do with the gay couple aspect than interracial couple.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 09-04-2019 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 PM

7 posts, read 2,315 times
Great that you

Old 09-05-2019, 01:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,307,557 times
Certain race(s), especially in an lgbt context, might have more issues with dating especially. People that are like that with dating tend to be like that with platonic friendships too unfortunately.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:04 PM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Certain race(s), especially in an lgbt context, might have more issues with dating especially. People that are like that with dating tend to be like that with platonic friendships too unfortunately.
Ummm...what?

Old 09-05-2019, 04:54 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,307,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Ummm...what?
Look up xenophobia.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM

1,100 posts, read 770,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comute18 View Post

I’m (mostly) black, and my girlfriend is white and Asian. I’m a Philly native and she’s from the Southwestern US. I’ve had this discussion with her before, and we both feel the same: neither of us have ever felt uncomfortable anywhere in the city when we’ve been together. We’ve been to several city neighborhoods together, and we have yet to have a negative experience. No matter if we’re having a date night in Fishtown, Manayunk, Center City, or anywhere else, we have not felt a bad vibe.

I just turned 24, and she recently turned 23. We’re both young professionals who live in majority white (at least I’m pretty sure my neighborhood, Francisville, is majority white at this point), young professional-centered neighborhoods. From my experience, not too many younger people care about skin color—it’s all about the vibe that one gives off.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:57 PM

1,172 posts, read 373,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Philadelphia is so much smaller than NY that's a big reason why you have not seen as many here. But I see mixed couples all the time...every day along with mixed children. Some of it is neighborhood dependent though.

Proximity to NYC is either a PintheA or a boon, imo.
I don't think New York being so much bigger would have much to do with it. I think just the population density of interracial couples would matter the most in how many you see. Unfortunately most interracial couples you see in Philly are probably just gonna be black and white (I have nothing against the races of the individuals), because Hispanics along with Asians only comprise about 20% or so of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or