U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2019, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Midwest
1,277 posts, read 1,853,786 times
Reputation: 965

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's also a very white place so white in fact that I wonder if the reasons are the same as the reasons Portland and Oregon are so white: black exclusion laws.
Minneapolis the city was 60% non-hispanic white in 2010 and is probably less so now. That a far cry from "very" white, although it is still majority white. It also has the largest Somali population of any big city in America, the largest Native American population of any big city in America (maybe you've heard of AIM?), and St. Paul has the largest Hmong population.

All you would have to do was google search Minneapolis black exclusion laws to answer your question. Instead you basically just made up a really wild unsubstantiated allegation....

Minnesota is a rough environment to live in (and even moreso before modern construction and heating) and attracted a lot of Scandinavian farm types because it was very similar to the environment they were used to. Before it was America it was French and catholic, so a different story than the British colonies. Black people started moving there in number around the same time they started migrating to Chicago and other points north in the great migrations. Yes there were some racial problems in MN, especially in the north with some lynchings. No they haven't solved everything in the present day. One of the interesting tensions (at least back when I lived there) is that between Somali immigrants and African-Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2019, 11:27 AM
 
9,996 posts, read 5,672,739 times
Reputation: 3522
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Minneapolis the city was 60% non-hispanic white in 2010 and is probably less so now. That a far cry from "very" white, although it is still majority white. It also has the largest Somali population of any big city in America, the largest Native American population of any big city in America (maybe you've heard of AIM?), and St. Paul has the largest Hmong population.

All you would have to do was google search Minneapolis black exclusion laws to answer your question. Instead you basically just made up a really wild unsubstantiated allegation....

Minnesota is a rough environment to live in (and even moreso before modern construction and heating) and attracted a lot of Scandinavian farm types because it was very similar to the environment they were used to. Before it was America it was French and catholic, so a different story than the British colonies. Black people started moving there in number around the same time they started migrating to Chicago and other points north in the great migrations. Yes there were some racial problems in MN, especially in the north with some lynchings. No they haven't solved everything in the present day. One of the interesting tensions (at least back when I lived there) is that between Somali immigrants and African-Americans.
I asked a question I thought was asked politely. You answered it. You didn't have to accuse me of something that was not my intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 PM
 
818 posts, read 492,486 times
Reputation: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Your biggest obstacle for living in Philly will be your budget. $300k for a house or $1100/month rent for an apartment won't get you much. Your best option will be in Delaware County which is close to the airport, and the property values are low because they're depressed by high property taxes and poor schools; if you can deal with that, you'll be good. Philadelphia-proper would be your 2nd best option, but finding a row home in the $300k range will put you in an iffy spot.

I'm a bit biased towards the midwest, and even though it's cold, Minneapolis is not to be discounted.
A bit of a broad brush you're painting with there. Not all of Delaware County is like that. Upper Darby Township and lower Delaware County in general, yes, but guess what? Radnor is also in Delaware County and I wouldn't call the property values there low at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,549 posts, read 6,123,186 times
Reputation: 7581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
I’ll be starting a new job mid 2020 potentially working at the International Airport. I never been to Philly or any of the surrounding areas. I was basically offered three locations Philly, Minneapolis, and Anchorage. So I’m trying to get as much information as I possibly can before I make my final decision. I’m leaning more toward Philly because it’s probably the best choice in terms of overall quality of life.

1. When are you moving?
Between May and August of 2020

2. Where are you coming from?
Los Angeles
So they offer you a job that doesn't start for a whole year? And I saw that you were asking about relocating to Fairbanks, AK, nine months ago (Dec. 2018) so I'm not sure how real your plans are. It sounded in that thread like you're looking for a real outdoorsy-winter sports location, in which case MN or AK might suit you better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 06:56 AM
 
12,725 posts, read 28,586,198 times
Reputation: 7297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
A bit of a broad brush you're painting with there. Not all of Delaware County is like that. Upper Darby Township and lower Delaware County in general, yes, but guess what? Radnor is also in Delaware County and I wouldn't call the property values there low at all.
Garnet Valley School District borders Delaware, so very much lower Delaware county, and has top ranked schools as well.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,196 posts, read 760,208 times
Reputation: 647
If you are looking for quiet, peaceful and scenic location around Philly, it's going to be a long way from the airport. I don't think you will get anything picturesque in the vicinity


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
15. Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
A little mixture of both but I lean more into calm, quiet, peaceful and scenic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 05:18 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,038 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks for all the wonderful and helpful replies. I’m going to try and get back to everyone individually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 05:31 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,038 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Your biggest obstacle for living in Philly will be your budget. $300k for a house or $1100/month rent for an apartment won't get you much. Your best option will be in Delaware County which is close to the airport, and the property values are low because they're depressed by high property taxes and poor schools; if you can deal with that, you'll be good. Philadelphia-proper would be your 2nd best option, but finding a row home in the $300k range will put you in an iffy spot.

I'm a bit biased towards the midwest, and even though it's cold, Minneapolis is not to be discounted.

When it comes to rent and home ownership what figures am I looking at to live in a nice, safe and quiet area? If it matters I’m willing to commute up to an hour or take public transportation.

I was leaning hard towards Minneapolis initially but I doubt I can deal with the long cold winters, and I was checking the housing and rent prices in various sites. Seems Minneapolis rent and housing markets are more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 06:27 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,038 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The oddball option is Anchorage, although that sounds like a fascinating place to explore.



I certainly don't discount Minneapolis, as although I've never been (outside of the MSP airport), it seems like a very livable and particularly thriving Midwest city. Although the OP would likely find the Twin Cities generally "newer" like Los Angeles compared to the ancient East Coast, it is true that Philly offers the more "cosmo," coastal, and big city vibe that one likely becomes accustomed to in LA.

I've also come under the impression that, based on income and COL data that I've seen, both Philadelphia and the MSP area are very similar in the income/COL realm. Chicago, too. So I'm not entirely sure where the notion that Minneapolis offers a higher QOL comes from (although Philly proper would certainly be more dinged for urban poverty--but not all that dissimilar from LA, from what I've experienced).

As for the OP, I'd focus on towns like Lansdowne, Springfield, and Aston. All offer great value in terms of housing/amenities, and are very commutable to PHL as a plus.

Good luck!
I agree, that Philly and Minneapolis both have similar overall COL. What attracted me to Philly is the lower housing market and better weather.
I’m going to check out Lansdowne, Springfield and Ashton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,038 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If the OP is coming from LA I'm trying to grasp how he/she lives on a budget like that in LA(??). Maybe they "heard" that Phila is cheap and that's why they posted those numbers.

You are forgetting( you probably don't know it anyhow) that both Haverford and Radnor Twps are in DelCo, are not low property valued places and have great schools. A chunk of DelCo is on the Main Line. Stop thinking that
DelCo is just Chester or Darby. Lol.
I’m renting out a house with some roommates. Yes, rent in SoCal is high if you don’t want to live in the undesirable areas. A s studio apartment in a nice area low end is about 1400, mind you we don’t have rent control or caps either. Also, the average home price is about 500k+ all over SoCal and the surrounding areas. I would have a much better opportunity to be a home owner in either Philly or Minneapolis. My only concern would avoiding living in undesirable areas. Is it true North and South Philly are very undesirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top