U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,105 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
So they offer you a job that doesn't start for a whole year? And I saw that you were asking about relocating to Fairbanks, AK, nine months ago (Dec. 2018) so I'm not sure how real your plans are. It sounded in that thread like you're looking for a real outdoorsy-winter sports location, in which case MN or AK might suit you better.
Yes, back then I wanted to live an adventure but I’m no longer single and I have to consider my partner wants to get married and start our family. I was hoping Houston, Texas would have an opening because it would be an all around win but I have to make my three options work. I’m trying to get as much information on Philly as I can, especially neighborhoods and areas to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2019, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,558 posts, read 6,129,806 times
Reputation: 7597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
Yes, back then I wanted to live an adventure but I’m no longer single and I have to consider my partner wants to get married and start our family. I was hoping Houston, Texas would have an opening because it would be an all around win but I have to make my three options work. I’m trying to get as much information on Philly as I can, especially neighborhoods and areas to avoid.
If you're working at PHL, you want to be as close as possible, so Delaware County. If you look at the map, the towns closest to the airport and the city of Chester are probably the places to avoid. Before I moved to FL, I lived in a 1960 ranch house in Brookhaven and I'm pretty sure you can get a house for under $300 there. It's close to the airport, also close to Chester but still, a quiet suburban neighborhood. Just an example. The further away you get in Delco from the airport and the city, the nicer/more expensive the houses are.

North Philly is not "safe", nor would it be close to the airport. South Philly has some nice areas but I think the houses are going to be expensive, not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 08:54 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,105 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
If you're working at PHL, you want to be as close as possible, so Delaware County. If you look at the map, the towns closest to the airport and the city of Chester are probably the places to avoid. Before I moved to FL, I lived in a 1960 ranch house in Brookhaven and I'm pretty sure you can get a house for under $300 there. It's close to the airport, also close to Chester but still, a quiet suburban neighborhood. Just an example. The further away you get in Delco from the airport and the city, the nicer/more expensive the houses are.

North Philly is not "safe", nor would it be close to the airport. South Philly has some nice areas but I think the houses are going to be expensive, not sure.
Thanks this is really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 07:20 AM
 
10,006 posts, read 5,682,352 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
Yes, back then I wanted to live an adventure but I’m no longer single and I have to consider my partner wants to get married and start our family. I was hoping Houston, Texas would have an opening because it would be an all around win but I have to make my three options work. I’m trying to get as much information on Philly as I can, especially neighborhoods and areas to avoid.
I think we mentioned that your budget will limit you. There are places in Delaware Co, near/adjacent to the airport, that might work: Primos, Secane, Ridley Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 AM
 
10,006 posts, read 5,682,352 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
If you're working at PHL, you want to be as close as possible, so Delaware County. If you look at the map, the towns closest to the airport and the city of Chester are probably the places to avoid. Before I moved to FL, I lived in a 1960 ranch house in Brookhaven and I'm pretty sure you can get a house for under $300 there. It's close to the airport, also close to Chester but still, a quiet suburban neighborhood. Just an example. The further away you get in Delco from the airport and the city, the nicer/more expensive the houses are.

North Philly is not "safe", nor would it be close to the airport. South Philly has some nice areas but I think the houses are going to be expensive, not sure.
Primos, Secane and Ridley Park are close to the airport too and still okay. My niece lived in Secane for 10 years. Her oldest son went to Primos Elementary then to Drexel Hill Middle School. Both were fine in her opinion. Fwiw, OP, these communities are mixed racially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 AM
 
15 posts, read 7,941 times
Reputation: 34
I am curious why everyone is suggesting suburban locations. University City especially around Clark Park is within walking distance to University City train station so getting to a job at the airport would be a breeze and you wouldn't need to deal with I95 traffic in the morning. The neighborhood is beautiful and incredibly diverse. It would be tight to find a home for 300k there but you could definitely grab an apartment there for $1,100 or less!

Most of South Philly is desirable in my opinion and like Avalon said the prices are going up. North Philly is a huge area containing dozens of neighborhoods and hundreds of thousands of people and really depends on where in North Philly you are looking but it is far from the airport. Unless you live near Temple and take the train but not sure if you want to live there not because it's unsafe but you will be surrounded by college students which will take away the peace and quite you are looking for.

While Clark Park is near Penn and Drexel the neighborhood is very peaceful with every street lined with trees and beautiful homes and amazing parks. I would suggest looking in that area! good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 01:23 PM
 
10,006 posts, read 5,682,352 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
I am curious why everyone is suggesting suburban locations. University City especially around Clark Park is within walking distance to University City train station so getting to a job at the airport would be a breeze and you wouldn't need to deal with I95 traffic in the morning. The neighborhood is beautiful and incredibly diverse. It would be tight to find a home for 300k there but you could definitely grab an apartment there for $1,100 or less!

Most of South Philly is desirable in my opinion and like Avalon said the prices are going up. North Philly is a huge area containing dozens of neighborhoods and hundreds of thousands of people and really depends on where in North Philly you are looking but it is far from the airport. Unless you live near Temple and take the train but not sure if you want to live there not because it's unsafe but you will be surrounded by college students which will take away the peace and quite you are looking for.

While Clark Park is near Penn and Drexel the neighborhood is very peaceful with every street lined with trees and beautiful homes and amazing parks. I would suggest looking in that area! good luck!
Of course UC is great and very different than what the OP has experienced in LA.

But if they are limited by their budget, he/she might not have the wiggle room to add on the entire city wage tax bite by living in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,105 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Of course UC is great and very different than what the OP has experienced in LA.

But if they are limited by their budget, he/she might not have the wiggle room to add on the entire city wage tax bite by living in the city.
City wage tax?
What all taxes are there is Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,105 times
Reputation: 16
How reasonable is it to live in either Dover or Newark and commute to Philly International Airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:32 AM
 
208 posts, read 126,383 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
How reasonable is it to live in either Dover or Newark and commute to Philly International Airport?
It's not. Newark and Dover are easily 1 and 1.5 hours away from Philly, respectively, and that's without traffic. If you'd be coming or going anywhere near rush hour, you'd be in for a lot of pain. My wife used to teach in Delaware, and her commute home from those parts would be insane.

If you really want to consider Delaware as an option, Wilmington would be as far south as you'd want to go, and even that might be pushing it. Consider also that Delaware schools are terrible and the state has a high income tax to make up for the lack of sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top