U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM

9,931 posts, read 5,627,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
City wage tax?
What all taxes are there is Philadelphia?
You can probably google Philadelphia City Wage Tax. There's also a PA sales tax which is 8% in the city and 6% in the rest of PA. You can google both to get more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
How reasonable is it to live in either Dover or Newark and commute to Philly International Airport?
Wilmington is closer.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You can probably google Philadelphia City Wage Tax. There's also a PA sales tax which is 8% in the city and 6% in the rest of PA. You can google both to get more detail.
If you do decide to come here to work at PHL, I still think the places I mentioned in Delaware Co would work. They are solid middle class/working class communities with more affordable housing and the commute to PHL might be okay.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:07 PM

30 posts, read 14,774 times
Quote:
If you do decide to come here to work at PHL, I still think the places I mentioned in Delaware Co would work. They are solid middle class/working class communities with more affordable housing and the commute to PHL might be okay.
Yes, I leaning hard on living and commuting from Delaware Co.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:19 AM

7,188 posts, read 7,592,993 times
Quote:
But if they are limited by their budget, he/she might not have the wiggle room to add on the entire city wage tax bite by living in the city.
Quote:
1) Depending on whether they work at the airport proper -- or administrative offices adjacent to the airport -- will make a difference in whether they pay the city wage tax.

2) Right now two of the terminals are in Tinicum Township in Delaware County.

There are plans (could still take a while, but getting closer to fruition because lawmakers really want it to happen....but we'll see they've been talking about it for YEEEEARS).... that ALL of the Philly airport proper will be IN Philadelphia. The City has apparently bought land (where the terminals are located) from Tinicum Township to make that happen. However no concrete word on when workers in those terminals will or could actually start paying city wage tax.

3) Philly City Wage tax is paid if you WORK in Philly, whether you live in the city or not.
-- For residents (whether they work in the city or outside the city) it's: 3.8712%
-- For non-residents who just work in the city it's: 3.4481%.

To avoid the tax you must neither work, nor live in the city.

4) As stated correctly above the state sales tax is 6%.
BUT counties are allowed to collect some extra assessment on that....so in the city the sales tax is 8%. Because Philly tacks on its 2%. (In Pittsburgh the total sales tax is 7% because Allegheny County's sales tax assessment is only 1%, added on to the state's 6%.)

So living in DelCo and working in the city will only save you .4231 in wage tax -- if and when the city actually ever starts taxing those terminals that are in Tinicum. People who work at the airport have been hearing that so long, they'll believe it when they see it.

Last edited by selhars; 09-20-2019 at 05:31 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 PM

31 posts, read 8,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
A bit of a broad brush you're painting with there. Not all of Delaware County is like that. Upper Darby Township and lower Delaware County in general, yes, but guess what? Radnor is also in Delaware County and I wouldn't call the property values there low at all.
Why do you continue to talk about places you are clearly ignorant of?

You clearly know nothing about these parts of the county and don't spend any time there. Enough of your classist nonsense.

Yes the property values are low in some parts you love to derisively mention but then there are places in still solid school districts like Interboro, as well as sections of say Upper Darby that are as nice as anywhere in Havertown and still quite stable with decent schools.

People like you constantly tell others not to generalize yet you do it all the time about places you clearly don't actually know.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:11 AM

30 posts, read 14,774 times
Yes, I will be physically working at the airport but so far I’m still leaning towards living in Delaware. However, should I consider living in New Jersey?

Old 09-30-2019, 01:20 AM

5,548 posts, read 2,707,472 times
Quote:
Yes, I will be physically working at the airport but so far I’m still leaning towards living in Delaware. However, should I consider living in New Jersey?
There are some nice communities in South Jersey, but property taxes in most of them are significantly higher than in Pennsylvania or Delaware, plus you're adding $5 in bridge tolls (maybe less with the EZPass discount for frequent users) to your daily commute.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualUDResident View Post
Why do you continue to talk about places you are clearly ignorant of?

You clearly know nothing about these parts of the county and don't spend any time there. Enough of your classist nonsense.

Yes the property values are low in some parts you love to derisively mention but then there are places in still solid school districts like Interboro, as well as sections of say Upper Darby that are as nice as anywhere in Havertown and still quite stable with decent schools.

People like you constantly tell others not to generalize yet you do it all the time about places you clearly don't actually know.
She lives in Havertown and moved there from Upper Darby. So she actually has a valid opinion.

Now if she lived in Haverford then telling her she was a classist might, just might, make sense.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:19 AM

805 posts, read 487,102 times
Quote:
She lives in Havertown and moved there from Upper Darby. So she actually has a valid opinion.

Now if she lived in Haverford then telling her she was a classist might, just might, make sense.

Thank you, kyb01. Was trying to decide whether or not I wanted to respond to him when I saw your response.

ActualUDRes...considering that I lived in Upper Darby Township for almost ten years and the sale price of my home in 2015 was 74% of the price I paid when I bought it in 2006, I think I'm well within my right to comment on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia