U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Obviously, when you look at the cities that came in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place on the list, housing affordability entered into Nestpick's calculations not at all.

I also think that, for all that AI may transform our world, using number of businesses engaged in research on it specifically a bit overmuch. After all, most members of Gen-Z won't be working in that field, even if more of them may be working with it than in prior generations.

I got that news release too. Sites offering guidance on location, finance, real estate and other quality-of-life subjects release studies of this type all the time - they're sort of like catnip for reporters and give their issuers visibility. This was the first time I'd heard of Nestpick.

I tend to ignore studies from WalletHub (there's one cited in the article, on the best and worst cities for driving) ever since I got one from them that listed the "best cities for public transportation" and found that it used an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Generally speaking, the only time I've reported on studies of this type, the studies come from either Zillow or Apartment List (the best of the apartment search sites in terms of completeness of its data). I've occasionally done National Association of Realtors studies, and usually do a feature when Niche produces its "best high schools" rankings.
So our pathetic "paper of record" didn't really interview any local gen-z people to find out what they might feel because they really don't have any reporters out on the streets of Philadelphia. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 AM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
Purely anecdotal, but I have a daughter in NYC (23 yrs old) and since we've been here for the last 4 years, she and friends have been coming down to Philly. They love it here and find it to be the best combination of the metropolitan vibe of NY with the affordability of "not NY."

Several of them - all millennials - are planning to move to Philly within a year or so. They can't believe how cheap it is.

That "study" is ridiculous on many levels.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Purely anecdotal, but I have a daughter in NYC (23 yrs old) and since we've been here for the last 4 years, she and friends have been coming down to Philly. They love it here and find it to be the best combination of the metropolitan vibe of NY with the affordability of "not NY."

Several of them - all millennials - are planning to move to Philly within a year or so. They can't believe how cheap it is.

Hmmm, yes, seems to be. I'm essentially surrounded by either millennials being new parents or folks who fit the Gen-Z demographic. The babies, at least to me, indicate that these parents may stick around in the city for longer than their more suburban oriented Boomer/Gen-X parents. On the surface they seem content.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:36 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm, yes, seems to be. I'm essentially surrounded by either millennials being new parents or folks who fit the Gen-Z demographic. The babies, at least to me, indicate that these parents may stick around in the city for longer than their more suburban oriented Boomer/Gen-X parents. On the surface they seem content.
I was reminded again today by someone else who was with me on this tour of the new Four Seasons Hotel that "schools matter."

But I think there's a growing realization that the Niche or GreatSchools rankings may not be - no, make that are not - definitive guides to school quality.

Mayor Kenney spoke at the event, and in his remarks, he brought up the case of a couple with kids who moved here fron Atlanta and bought a house in the Andrew Jackson catchment precisely because (his paraphrasing them) "this is exactly the kind of school we want our kids to attend."

Jackson gets a Niche grade of C- and scores 4 out of 10 on GreatSchools. It's also one of the schools where I've heard parents of children there speak well about the teaching staff and how their children have thrived as learners there.

The person in question said that parent involvement was a better guide to how good a school would be than those rankings, and with some slight modification, I'd agree. The modification: What happens outside the school walls - that other kind of "parent involvement" - can affect how well children learn in a school, sometimes enough to negate the efforts of the teachers and support staff. (That was the case with one Anna Lingelbach [Niche grade: D+; GreatSchools: 2/10] parent who wrote on GreatSchools that she "realized I was wasting $7,000 a year in private school tuition" after enrolling her son in that school; the school had resources the private school lacked and a teaching staff that enabled her child to thrive. Nonetheless, she wrote, she had decided to pull her son out of the school at the end of the academic year because a small number of very disruptive students made it harder for everyone else to learn.

(Two other [white, middle-class] Lingelbach parents collared me after services one Sunday at First Presbyterian Church in Germantown and delivered unqualified raves about the school.)

If these parents bother to check the schools out for themselves rather than rely on a rating site's grade, they may well make the same decisions these parents made.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:20 PM

525 posts, read 206,992 times
Quote:

Yeah, I am a millennial still in my 20s, and I know plenty of older Gen Zs with this mindset. The "study" is truly puzzling.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 PM

4,215 posts, read 1,556,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/news/genera...-20190909.html

So they're trying to tell us Chicago residents perceive their city to be more safe than Philly residents? Ditto Washington and Miami? And if Chicago's murder rate is higher why is it so far up the list?

As for the other two categories, their analysis just seems flawed. I don't see how Philly can be 2nd to last when it is extremely affordable yet is growing at a healthy place and has a secure and thriving job market. There clearly seems to be at least some bias.
In defense of Chicago, the city didn't make national news this summer like Philly during the month of August

Old 09-12-2019, 09:18 AM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
Not that this has to be said but the level of violent crime here IS hurting the image. If it is indeed, gang related drug war stuff that involves targeted shootings that largely do not involve innocent citizens, then that has to be identified and explained. I don't think the gang stuff will ever get better. There's too much money and demand in this town for dope - which literally fuels 90% of the violent crime and 50% of homelessness.

If there was a way to get a handle on that issue - fully understanding that this is a total pipe-dream(excuse the pun) - this town would have pretty respectable crime stats. The out-sized drug problem here really inflates the activity surrounding street drug business, which directly translates to increased violent crime.

I talked to a cop not long ago who told me that North and West Philly blight is shrinking to the point where drug territories are harder to claim. The blurred lines of those zones are the cause for all the violence. Until someone "wins," those street-level wars are going to continue to wage.

The cops basically want to keep those territorial wars confined to those territories. But spill-over is unavoidable. And that's when the problem gets news. Whats sad is that Philly is essentially two towns - one for the haves (Greater Center city) and one for the have-nots (North and West Philly). And if you drive through these areas, it isn't subtle.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yeah, I am a millennial still in my 20s, and I know plenty of older Gen Zs with this mindset. The "study" is truly puzzling.
Nothing about that "study" matches what I see with my own eyes. Yes, what I see is anecdotal but....

Old 09-12-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Not that this has to be said but the level of violent crime here IS hurting the image. If it is indeed, gang related drug war stuff that involves targeted shootings that largely do not involve innocent citizens, then that has to be identified and explained. I don't think the gang stuff will ever get better. There's too much money and demand in this town for dope - which literally fuels 90% of the violent crime and 50% of homelessness.

If there was a way to get a handle on that issue - fully understanding that this is a total pipe-dream(excuse the pun) - this town would have pretty respectable crime stats. The out-sized drug problem here really inflates the activity surrounding street drug business, which directly translates to increased violent crime.

I talked to a cop not long ago who told me that North and West Philly blight is shrinking to the point where drug territories are harder to claim. The blurred lines of those zones are the cause for all the violence. Until someone "wins," those street-level wars are going to continue to wage.

The cops basically want to keep those territorial wars confined to those territories. But spill-over is unavoidable. And that's when the problem gets news. Whats sad is that Philly is essentially two towns - one for the haves (Greater Center city) and one for the have-nots (North and West Philly). And if you drive through these areas, it isn't subtle.
Nothing to dispute here except I don't drive through I walk through.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 AM

639 posts, read 170,736 times
All big cities are dirty, crime-ridden, and not very pleasant places in which to live. I marvel at anyone who chooses to live in Philly or any other big city. They've really got guts. Me? I need plenty of elbow room, greenery, and a population of less than 5000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia