U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM

9,934 posts, read 5,637,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
All big cities are dirty, crime-ridden, and not very pleasant places in which to live. I marvel at anyone who chooses to live in Philly or any other big city. They've really got guts. Me? I need plenty of elbow room, greenery, and a population of less than 5000.
So why post on a board about one of the country's biggest and oldest population centers that is the very place that made your sylvan paradise in 'merica possible? Lol.

I've been to small towns where you can see everything in about 5-10 minutes. My best friend lives in one of those towns in western Nebraska. When she gets tired of all of the endless sameness she does go to Denver.

And speaking of Philadelphia it's my home. It's where I belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 11:47 AM

1,100 posts, read 771,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
All big cities are dirty, crime-ridden, and not very pleasant places in which to live. I marvel at anyone who chooses to live in Philly or any other big city. They've really got guts. Me? I need plenty of elbow room, greenery, and a population of less than 5000.
All small towns are boring, isolated from everything, lack entertainment options, are deplete of well-paying jobs, and are full of meth-ridden people who live in trailer parks. I marvel at anyone who chooses to live in somewhere with a population of less than 5000 or any other small town. They've really got guts, especially since areas like that tend to be far away from hospitals. Me? I have a luxury apartment with a full skyline view that would easily cost at least 3x what I pay in Philly, 24 hour connectivity to other neighborhoods via SEPTA, four full-service supermarkets within walking distance from my apartment, the ability to walk/bike/skateboard/take SEPTA to the office, the freedom to live car-free, and so much more, along with a ton of elbow room and greenery whenever I visit Fairmount or Wissahickon Valley Park.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM

584 posts, read 276,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
All small towns are boring, isolated from everything, lack entertainment options, are deplete of well-paying jobs, and are full of meth-ridden people who live in trailer parks. I marvel at anyone who chooses to live in somewhere with a population of less than 5000 or any other small town. They've really got guts, especially since areas like that tend to be far away from hospitals. Me? I have a luxury apartment with a full skyline view that would easily cost at least 3x what I pay in Philly, 24 hour connectivity to other neighborhoods via SEPTA, four full-service supermarkets within walking distance from my apartment, the ability to walk/bike/skateboard/take SEPTA to the office, the freedom to live car-free, and so much more, along with a ton of elbow room and greenery whenever I visit Fairmount or Wissahickon Valley Park.
Exactly. This isn't a question between Rural or Urban. That is a preference question - apples and oranges. We're talking about among the Urban choices in the country - which are chosen over Rural locations for very specific reasons.

Of the Urban choices on this "news article," Philly gets hammered for reasons that don't really exist.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM

11,914 posts, read 10,621,660 times
Mmh it says crime, especially violent crime and murder was the major factor in the ranking yet Chicago (homicide) and DC (violent crime) are both statistically worse than Philly yet are ranked at the top.

Gen-Z is also very young and still in College or younger---my Cousin is an older Gen-Z born in 1998 and is still in school living at home outside of Boston.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:28 PM

4,689 posts, read 2,895,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
DC (violent crime) are both statistically worse than Philly yet are ranked at the top.

Actually Washington DC is number 52 and Philadelphia is 53. Portland 51, Dallas 49, Houston 47, Austin 44.

Only our stupid hometown paper would spin a click-bait negative title like this on an analysis that included "the amount of e-sports events" and the "right to protest" as criteria. Why doesn't anyone right an article about how our Universities keep moving up in all the rankings? Not as flashy or exciting? I am sure that is going to have more of an impact on bringing people in.

Also just a note.. They have a bunch of other us cities ranked ahead of us for E-sports which is a bunch of BS considering we are going to have the first purposely built E-sports area in the USA when it opens in 2021. We are only 3 weeks away from the Overwatch World Championships that just so happen are taking place at the Wells Fargo Center this year. It's a sold out event and will have the grammy winning DJ Zedd performing through out. If that isn't a top-notch AAA Gen-Z event, I don't know what is.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 09-12-2019 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Well, no, your are not correct about how small towns can look and are. I've gone to more than one. I didn't see any trailer parks in Scottsbluff, Gering or Alliance , Nebraska. I didn't see any in Cheyenne or Laramie, Wyoming. What I saw were well tended houses and some were much better than that as almost mansion-sized. So don't be so quick to stereotype these places. But, they can be boring. My friend who was raised on a ranch and small town lived in DC for years but returned home for family reasons. When she gets bored she goes to Denver or she flies out of Denver to LA. Thank goodness she has that option!!!

But, I'm like you in that I like cities and I always have.

People who don't use transit will never understand much about how it can benefit a community. Nothing, unless it was an emergency, will ever get me to drive again. Transit is free for me hence making driving quite impractical.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Mmh it says crime, especially violent crime and murder was the major factor in the ranking yet Chicago (homicide) and DC (violent crime) are both statistically worse than Philly yet are ranked at the top.

Gen-Z is also very young and still in College or younger---my Cousin is an older Gen-Z born in 1998 and is still in school living at home outside of Boston.
I've read 1996, 1997 now 1998( above) for the oldest Gen-Z. The cut off/ end I've read is 2014. And I have not yet seen any name for pre-school kids and babies/toddlers who are the newest generation. We now have 7 generations of Americans alive: Greatest, Silents, Boomers, Gen-X, Millennials, Gen-Z, and Newbie-babies( dunno what else to call them).

Unfortunately this "report" is another reason to not take most things the Inquirer does very seriously. What a sad demise for a paper that was once on par with the Wash. Post or LA Times. I'm not kidding when I say that.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Actually Washington DC is number 52 and Philadelphia is 53. Portland 51, Dallas 49, Houston 47, Austin 44.

Only our stupid hometown paper would spin a click-bait negative title like this on an analysis that included "the amount of e-sports events" and the "right to protest" as criteria. Why doesn't anyone right an article about how our Universities keep moving up in all the rankings? Not as flashy or exciting? I am sure that is going to have more of an impact on bringing people in.

Also just a note.. They have a bunch of other us cities ranked ahead of us for E-sports which is a bunch of BS considering we are going to have the first purposely built E-sports area in the USA when it opens in 2021. We are only 3 weeks away from the Overwatch World Championships that just so happen are taking place at the Wells Fargo Center this year. It's a sold out event and will have the grammy winning DJ Zedd performing through out. If that isn't a top-notch AAA Gen-Z event, I don't know what is.
As I said the Inquirer is a pathetic rag. I stopped reading it a long time ago. They're a disgrace.

And I mentioned that since they don't really have any real reporters they didn't talk to any Gen-Zs. Pure idiocy.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:45 AM

5,558 posts, read 2,716,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Not that this has to be said but the level of violent crime here IS hurting the image. If it is indeed, gang related drug war stuff that involves targeted shootings that largely do not involve innocent citizens, then that has to be identified and explained. I don't think the gang stuff will ever get better. There's too much money and demand in this town for dope - which literally fuels 90% of the violent crime and 50% of homelessness.

If there was a way to get a handle on that issue - fully understanding that this is a total pipe-dream(excuse the pun) - this town would have pretty respectable crime stats. The out-sized drug problem here really inflates the activity surrounding street drug business, which directly translates to increased violent crime.

I talked to a cop not long ago who told me that North and West Philly blight is shrinking to the point where drug territories are harder to claim. The blurred lines of those zones are the cause for all the violence. Until someone "wins," those street-level wars are going to continue to wage.

The cops basically want to keep those territorial wars confined to those territories. But spill-over is unavoidable. And that's when the problem gets news. Whats sad is that Philly is essentially two towns - one for the haves (Greater Center city) and one for the have-nots (North and West Philly). And if you drive through these areas, it isn't subtle.
There is one way to get a handle on the problem, but not enough people yet see the clear parallels with Prohibition to back it:

Sue for peace in the War on Drugs. Legalize weed and coke. (Most opioids, the current crisis drug, are already legal.)

Get the street dealers into the legal distribution system the way Washington State did with its bootleggers and California is now doing with pot sellers.

Oh, and it is easier to comprehend what you're talking about by walking through these places.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:17 AM

534 posts, read 210,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, no, your are not correct about how small towns can look and are. I've gone to more than one. I didn't see any trailer parks in Scottsbluff, Gering or Alliance , Nebraska. I didn't see any in Cheyenne or Laramie, Wyoming. What I saw were well tended houses and some were much better than that as almost mansion-sized. So don't be so quick to stereotype these places. But, they can be boring. My friend who was raised on a ranch and small town lived in DC for years but returned home for family reasons. When she gets bored she goes to Denver or she flies out of Denver to LA. Thank goodness she has that option!!!

But, I'm like you in that I like cities and I always have.

People who don't use transit will never understand much about how it can benefit a community. Nothing, unless it was an emergency, will ever get me to drive again. Transit is free for me hence making driving quite impractical.
I read some jest and hyperbole in that. I hope it wasn’t to be taken all too seriously, but instead to show the poster he responded to what a silly nonsense he spewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia