U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 02:13 AM

1,188 posts, read 376,609 times

Advertisements

https://www.inquirer.com/news/genera...-20190909.html

So they're trying to tell us Chicago residents perceive their city to be more safe than Philly residents? Ditto Washington and Miami? And if Chicago's murder rate is higher why is it so far up the list?

As for the other two categories, their analysis just seems flawed. I don't see how Philly can be 2nd to last when it is extremely affordable yet is growing at a healthy place and has a secure and thriving job market. There clearly seems to be at least some bias.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: fixed typos
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 04:28 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,713,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post

So they're trying to tell us Chicago residents perceive their city to be more safe than Philly residents? Ditto Washington and Miami? And if Chicago's murder rate is higher why is it so far up the list?

As for the other two categories, their analysis just seems flawed. I don't see how Philly can be 2nd to last when it is extremely affordable yet is growing at a healthy place and has a secure and thriving job market. There clearly seems to be at least some bias.
Obviously, when you look at the cities that came in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place on the list, housing affordability entered into Nestpick's calculations not at all.

I also think that, for all that AI may transform our world, using number of businesses engaged in research on it specifically a bit overmuch. After all, most members of Gen-Z won't be working in that field, even if more of them may be working with it than in prior generations.

I got that news release too. Sites offering guidance on location, finance, real estate and other quality-of-life subjects release studies of this type all the time - they're sort of like catnip for reporters and give their issuers visibility. This was the first time I'd heard of Nestpick.

I tend to ignore studies from WalletHub (there's one cited in the article, on the best and worst cities for driving) ever since I got one from them that listed the "best cities for public transportation" and found that it used an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Generally speaking, the only time I've reported on studies of this type, the studies come from either Zillow or Apartment List (the best of the apartment search sites in terms of completeness of its data). I've occasionally done National Association of Realtors studies, and usually do a feature when Niche produces its "best high schools" rankings.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-10-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 07:07 AM

226 posts, read 68,478 times
Quote:

If you live outside the crime-ridden areas in Chicago, the city feels very safe. I lived a half dozen blocks from Cabrini Green, one of the most dangerous public housing complexes in the nation. Never felt unsafe there.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-10-2019 at 10:06 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 07:38 AM

4,244 posts, read 2,151,762 times
extreme;y affordable to whom? Which class of people?

Quote:

As for the other two categories, they're analysis just seems flawed. I don't see how Philly can be 2nd to last when it is extremely affordable yet is growing at a healthy place and has a secure and thriving job market. There clearly seems to be at least some bias.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-10-2019 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 AM

514 posts, read 229,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
If you live outside the crime-ridden areas in Chicago, the city feels very safe. I lived a half dozen blocks from Cabrini Green, one of the most dangerous public housing complexes in the nation. Never felt unsafe there.
Yeah, Chicago is a lot different than Philly. I lived there for 6 years in the late 90s. The violent crime is generally concentrated in specific neighborhoods on the South side and West side, but very large areas of the city are much cleaner and safer than anywhere in Philly. Chicago and the violence in that city (which does exist obviously) has been unfairly vilified by our current President as a political prop against the former President because he came from there. Chicago is a great city to live in and is simply not the terrifying hellhole that it is made out to be for political propaganda purposes. Chicago's violent crime rate, like most other big cities, is a fraction of what it was in the 80s.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 AM

333 posts, read 205,934 times
I totally see valididity in this study, drivability 98th out of 100,,,yup, terrible rude drivers here and as for the safety aspect like it or not on point here. In most major cities crime is compartmentalized in certain neighborhoods yet we see flash mobs, and people being beat on South St, CC and areas frequented by tourists. We have some work to do and making excuses will just continue us on this same path

Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM

4,584 posts, read 7,679,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Yeah, Chicago is a lot different than Philly. I lived there for 6 years in the late 90s. The violent crime is generally concentrated in specific neighborhoods on the South side and West side, but very large areas of the city are much cleaner and safer than anywhere in Philly.
And how is this scenario any different as compared to Philly? There's no such thing as a city where crime is evenly distributed; without exception, violent crime always tends to be heavily concentrated in certain neighborhoods (and yes, there are certainly neighborhoods with just as much cleanliness/desirability in Philadelphia as one finds in Chicago; I won't get into a pedantic debate about their extensiveness, but they obviously exist).

See below for Philly:

https://mapsthatarecool.wordpress.co...hia-crime-map/

Further, Chicago, even for all of the money it pours into aesthetics/maintenance, still has a very high violent crime rate. Case in point, Philadelphia doesn't even appear on this list: https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...ca/1669467002/

Old 09-10-2019, 11:55 AM

1,100 posts, read 770,993 times
I'm Gen Z (or a really young Millennial, depending on what year you consider the cut-off between generations to be) and I'm doing just fine in Philly. I live in a luxury apartment in one of Greater Center City's most desirable neighborhoods for only $1200/mo, have a wonderful skyline view from my room, can walk to my office in the Liberty Place towers each day, and so much more. The job market for my field looks fantastic, I am consistently able to find something interesting for me and/or my girl to do, and I am certainly happy with my decision to stay in the city where I grew up. Philly really took off in the 2010s, and the city is definitely poised to reach a new era of prominence in the 2020s!

Philly isn't all that unsafe if you know where to avoid, which hours to avoid said areas, and have an elementary understanding of street smarts. Philly has the same issues that several of its peer cities do: violent crime is generally isolated to a select few neighborhoods/sections, and most violent crime occurs between two parties that know each other. Since I'm not involved in that lifestyle, I have absolutely no fear walking in any neighborhood in this city.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:54 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,633,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I totally see valididity in this study, drivability 98th out of 100,,,yup, terrible rude drivers here and as for the safety aspect like it or not on point here. In most major cities crime is compartmentalized in certain neighborhoods yet we see flash mobs, and people being beat on South St, CC and areas frequented by tourists. We have some work to do and making excuses will just continue us on this same path
Tourists, nowadays, are frequently doing more than getting cheesteaks at Geno's or Pat's. I'm seeing more of them in
Fishtown, University City and, well, the same very rag that published this report, reported not long ago about untidy tourists visiting Wissahickon. Valley Park.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,633,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm Gen Z (or a really young Millennial, depending on what year you consider the cut-off between generations to be) and I'm doing just fine in Philly. I live in a luxury apartment in one of Greater Center City's most desirable neighborhoods for only $1200/mo, have a wonderful skyline view from my room, can walk to my office in the Liberty Place towers each day, and so much more. The job market for my field looks fantastic, I am consistently able to find something interesting for me and/or my girl to do, and I am certainly happy with my decision to stay in the city where I grew up. Philly really took off in the 2010s, and the city is definitely poised to reach a new era of prominence in the 2020s!

Philly isn't all that unsafe if you know where to avoid, which hours to avoid said areas, and have an elementary understanding of street smarts. Philly has the same issues that several of its peer cities do: violent crime is generally isolated to a select few neighborhoods/sections, and most violent crime occurs between two parties that know each other. Since I'm not involved in that lifestyle, I have absolutely no fear walking in any neighborhood in this city.
Supposedly Gen-Z starts with those born in 1996. The oldest Mills are either 37 or 38. Babies being born right now are a new generation. No name yet.(??)

My niece who recently moved into W. Philly to be near her mom(my sister) from Upper Darby is sending her youngest son ,who is biracial but very white looking , to Barry Elementary School for kindergarten which is near 59th and Race. It's only been a week but so far he loves it and has made new friends already. My family has been in and around that neighborhood for decades. My 102 year old aunt is still there. None of my family members are living in fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia