U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM
 
515 posts, read 229,945 times
Reputation: 548

Advertisements

The lead story on the Fox 29 news tonight is that a teacher who worked at Meredith has mesothelioma and the parents are demanding $100m from the district for asbestos remediation even though it's not known that the teacher got the disease from Meredith or any other Philly school. This one is going to be interesting to watch as it develops.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 AM
 
9,941 posts, read 5,642,684 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The lead story on the Fox 29 news tonight is that a teacher who worked at Meredith has mesothelioma and the parents are demanding $100m from the district for asbestos remediation even though it's not known that the teacher got the disease from Meredith or any other Philly school. This one is going to be interesting to watch as it develops.
Wow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,689 posts, read 2,897,348 times
Reputation: 3054
Personally I think we should divert the soda tax money away from rebuilding parks to rebuilding more of the schools faster.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 AM
 
208 posts, read 125,453 times
Reputation: 293
It baffles me that SDP and the city are completely fine with asbestos being present in so many of these schools, as long as it's "intact" and not actively hazardous, instead of just dealing with this sh*t and getting it out of there once and for all.

But no, it's better to have constantly do safety checks and live with this proverbial sword of damocles over our heads.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 AM
 
1,402 posts, read 1,314,831 times
Reputation: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
It baffles me that SDP and the city are completely fine with asbestos being present in so many of these schools, as long as it's "intact" and not actively hazardous, instead of just dealing with this sh*t and getting it out of there once and for all.

But no, it's better to have constantly do safety checks and live with this proverbial sword of damocles over our heads.
I'm sure they aren't "fine" with it all. They don't really have money and just have to keep things afloat.
The city itself is a separate entity, and this is a can of worms for them if they say have anything to say about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 02:58 PM
 
9,941 posts, read 5,642,684 times
Reputation: 3488
Mold and asbestos remediation is a nightmare but absolutely needed. I've been involved in those kinds of projects. Not fun.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 08:32 AM
 
208 posts, read 125,453 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I'm sure they aren't "fine" with it all. They don't really have money and just have to keep things afloat.
The city itself is a separate entity, and this is a can of worms for them if they say have anything to say about it.
Money is no doubt a big issue, but administration also doesn't seem particularly concerned about its presence. From a WHYY article:

Quote:
The Philadelphia Federation of Teachers estimates that about 175 buildings contain asbestos. The school district could not confirm that estimate or provide an exact tally.

Asbestos does not necessarily need to be removed, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

“As long as its intact, it’s not presenting a health hazard,” said Brian Joseph, the School District of Philadelphia’s environmental director....

School officials admit there are backlogged projects they haven’t been able to do because of budget constraints. The district will spend about $20 million on asbestos-related projects this year.

Officials say those uncompleted projects aren’t causing imminent harm to teachers or students, and that the district prioritizes cases where asbestos exposure is most severe.

“We stand behind that our buildings are safe,” said Floyd.
https://whyy.org/articles/did-asbest...s-complicated/
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top