U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 PM

77 posts, read 126,955 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I will be moving to philly sometime in early 2020, and I am currently debating whether to rent in Roxborough/ Manayunk or buy a house in Port Richmond. I wanted to know how things are in Port Richmond, and if the future looks bright in that neighborhood. With all the gentrification in Fishtown, I was wondering if any of that is spilling over. One concern is how close Port Richmond is too terrible parts of the city and whether that affects Port Richmond or not! Any advice would help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:28 AM

15 posts, read 7,619 times
I will try to answer this answer the best as I spent some time growing up in Port Richmond and still have a ton of family there.

Historically Port Richmond is a working class Polish immigrant community, my grandparents on my moms side immigrated there in the 50's and my dad immigrated there in 1970 (both from Poland). While there are not as many Polish people there as there once was the community is still strong. There are plenty of Polish delis, restaurants, etc. along Allegheny Avenue and Richmond Street. Some of these restaurants are outstanding so definitely give them a try, a place to start is Polish Dinner House or Baltic Bakery.

As of now the neighborhood is definitely in flux. After the fall of communism in Poland and Poland generally improving economically the mass immigration to the states has slowed down. Though my Grandparents neighbor did immigrate only 5 years ago. There has been the influx of people from Fishtown who have been priced out and prices are on the rise in Port Richmond. My cousin sold her 2bd rowhome on Clementine street for $120,000 in 2012 and recently a house on the same block went for $200,000. The neighborhood never really fell hard like surrounding neighborhoods so there won't be many of the typical metal box modern row homes as seen in Fishtown and East Kensington. It's mainly renovations happening in the neighborhood. There are new bars and cafes popping up in the neighborhood. Riverwards Cafe and Gaul and Co are two places to check out. Campbell Square is a beautiful park to really get the vibe of the neighborhood on a nice day.

Your concern is a valid one. Port Richmond is around a mile from Kensington and Allegheny, us locals call it K and A. This is one of the worst drug corners in the city at the moment especially as the drug activity gets pushed up further along the Market-Frankford Line (locally known as the El). Port Richmond is generally tight knit so the crime from that part of the city rarely crosses Aramingo avenue. The opioid crisis has really gotten out of control so from time to time you may see someone high stumbling around the neighborhood but thats it.

If you take public transportation to get into Center City the fastest way is to take the 60 bus (or walk if youre closer) and transfer to the El at K and A. There are other ways such as the 15 or 25 and transfer in Fishtown but they are slower and run less frequently. I've made that transfer hundreds of times in my life and besides someone asking for money or trying to sell drugs they have never bothered me or any of my family transfering there. I assume if you are from NYC you have seen you're fair amount of interesting people on the subway. I rarely go to K and A at night however, I would highly suggest taking the 15 or 25 busses if you are coming back late.

Please feel free if you have any more questions!

Old 09-18-2019, 12:53 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,262,737 times
I'm ignorant of Port Richmond, but if pricing says you either rent in Roxborough/Manayunk or buy in Port Richmond, the market is telling you that Port Richmond is a worse neighborhood. You want to know if you're getting in on the ground floor of a massive PR revitalization that's gonna double or triple your purchase price?

How long you planning to stay there?

Old 09-18-2019, 02:50 PM

558 posts, read 405,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Hello everyone! I will be moving to philly sometime in early 2020, and I am currently debating whether to rent in Roxborough/ Manayunk or buy a house in Port Richmond. I wanted to know how things are in Port Richmond, and if the future looks bright in that neighborhood. With all the gentrification in Fishtown, I was wondering if any of that is spilling over. One concern is how close Port Richmond is too terrible parts of the city and whether that affects Port Richmond or not! Any advice would help.
A lot is dependent on the economy. If things proceed as they have for the last few years, a purchase in certain areas of PR would be very smart. Gentrification is definitely leaking that way and quickly. However, if we go into a recession or even a moderate downturn and the housing market takes a hit, PR will be on the front lines of the pull-back. I guess it depends on your degree of faith in the national economy, coupled with your outlook for the local Philly economy. It also largely depends on whether or not you are looking at a long-term investment (10-20 years) or want to reap rewards of quick housing appreciation n the near-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or