U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 10:04 PM

19,842 posts, read 17,923,804 times

Advertisements

Pa is ahead of the curve in requiring vehicle inspections. Don't drive an unsafe car and it isn't an issue. They'll catch little things( burnt out parking bulbs) as well as major safety issues... brakes and tires being worn or faulty exhausts. Plus you have to prove you have insurance coverage. Philly will probably be more expensive but take a drive to the suburbs and you might get a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:34 PM

93 posts, read 38,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I've had cars inspected in four other states and I agree that Pennsylvania is the most rigorous, however I trust our mechanic to only flag things that truly need fixing..
Interesting thread. We're relocating in a few months to PA. Where I live currently you only have to get a smog test to register your car. Question: in PA are there only certain inspectors that are certified to do the inspections? In my state the smog tests are done at a state-run emission testing place (there are many of them all over the state), not by private mechanics. In PA can you just take your car to a regular dealership service dept? We always take our cars to the local Ford dealership service dept for routine services and repairs. Would that satisfy in PA?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 AM

148 posts, read 38,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Question: in PA are there only certain inspectors that are certified to do the inspections? In my state the smog tests are done at a state-run emission testing place (there are many of them all over the state), not by private mechanics. In PA can you just take your car to a regular dealership service dept? We always take our cars to the local Ford dealership service dept for routine services and repairs. Would that satisfy in PA?

Most likely, yes. Technically, the auto shop or dealership has to be a certified inspection location - there's even an old, standard sign: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3d/83...cdc1a777b2.jpg

Almost every mechanic,or dealership you find will be a certified location.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:48 AM

330 posts, read 205,258 times
Having moved from out of state also I agree, huge conflict of interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKA1453 View Post
hello Eureka, as someone who has previously lived and had their car inspected as part of the registration process in California (and Texas, and Tennessee, and Michigan, and New York), let me be the first to explain to you that the inspection process in PA is far more elaborate than it is in CA (and Texas, and Tennessee, and Michigan, and New York), and leaves a lot of room for money-making extortion-style unnecessary car fixes. This is not your standard California left blinker, right blinker, headlight, tail light check. You live in Eureka - probably safe to say you aren't swimming in money - how would you feel if you took your car to get inspected and they told you your brake pads or rotor needed replacing/repair to the tune of $300-400? In addition to the standard $230 registration fee? If you decline, your car "fails" inspection and is not officially registered (ie. you are driving it illegally). Would that sit well with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or