U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2019, 03:50 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,707 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello there, recently re-located to Philadelphia from out of state and am in the process of registering my vehicle.

I learned that I will now have to go to a shop to get my car "inspected" so that they can extort money from me for something that probably doesn't even need to be done (my money is on brake pads!).

First, kudos to the state officials who managed to legalize this extortion scheme. Truly, bravo to you. It is impressive.

But now, I must figure out where I can go to get the least amount of money extorted from me in order to pass inspection and be legally allowed to drive a registered vehicle in the great state of Pennsylvania.

Any suggestions for places in the city of Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Status: "I can see 2020 from my porch" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,706 posts, read 11,472,578 times
Reputation: 13403
Wow, what an attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 04:47 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,707 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Wow, what an attitude.
hello Eureka, as someone who has previously lived and had their car inspected as part of the registration process in California (and Texas, and Tennessee, and Michigan, and New York), let me be the first to explain to you that the inspection process in PA is far more elaborate than it is in CA (and Texas, and Tennessee, and Michigan, and New York), and leaves a lot of room for money-making extortion-style unnecessary car fixes. This is not your standard California left blinker, right blinker, headlight, tail light check. You live in Eureka - probably safe to say you aren't swimming in money - how would you feel if you took your car to get inspected and they told you your brake pads or rotor needed replacing/repair to the tune of $300-400? In addition to the standard $230 registration fee? If you decline, your car "fails" inspection and is not officially registered (ie. you are driving it illegally). Would that sit well with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 05:19 PM
 
559 posts, read 405,900 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKA1453 View Post
hello Eureka, as someone who has previously lived and had their car inspected as part of the registration process in California (and Texas, and Tennessee, and Michigan, and New York), let me be the first to explain to you that the inspection process in PA is far more elaborate than it is in CA (and Texas, and Tennessee, and Michigan, and New York), and leaves a lot of room for money-making extortion-style unnecessary car fixes. This is not your standard California left blinker, right blinker, headlight, tail light check. You live in Eureka - probably safe to say you aren't swimming in money - how would you feel if you took your car to get inspected and they told you your brake pads or rotor needed replacing/repair to the tune of $300-400? In addition to the standard $230 registration fee? If you decline, your car "fails" inspection and is not officially registered (ie. you are driving it illegally). Would that sit well with you?
How do you know it’s extortion and a mechanic isn’t actually saving your life by ensuring you have working brakes? No offense, but you don’t exactly sound mechanically-savvy and you probably have zero idea if your car actually needs brake pads and rotors. Five hundred bucks to stay alive sounds cool with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,707 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
How do you know it’s extortion and a mechanic isn’t actually saving your life by ensuring you have working brakes? No offense, but you don’t exactly sound mechanically-savvy and you probably have zero idea if your car actually needs brake pads and rotors. Five hundred bucks to stay alive sounds cool with me.
lol! you have clearly taken multiple swigs of the kool-aid my friend (or you own one of those shops or are one of the aforementioned state officials). i think we all know when we are getting bull****ted by a mechanic vs when there might be an actual problem. this inspection scam doesn't keep junk off the road, all it does is extort money from the good citizens who try and play by the rules. from what i've seen so far, there is a decent chance that i will be seriously maimed or outright killed driving down the 95 at some point in the next year thanks to one of these $h!tmobiles that these requirements aren't able to keep off the road.

Last edited by MKA1453; 09-17-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 07:10 PM
 
150 posts, read 39,967 times
Reputation: 467
It is a bit of a scam, as there are states that have removed inspections without any impact in vehicle safety.



That said, the big wear items are lights (bulbs), wipers, brakes, rotors, and tires. All of these are easily checked and/or replaced if you're even slightly DIY. Even if you aren't comfortable doing it, you can check the brake pad thickness and tire tread depth with cheap measuring tools. At least then, if the mechanic tries to say you need tires/brakes, you can make him show you how what you checked isn't correct.


I just did the brakes and wipers on my wife's car so it would be ready for inspection. In and out of there for $70 - you shouldn't pay much more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 07:56 PM
 
559 posts, read 405,900 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKA1453 View Post
lol! you have clearly taken multiple swigs of the kool-aid my friend (or you own one of those shops or are one of the aforementioned state officials). i think we all know when we are getting bull****ted by a mechanic vs when there might be an actual problem. this inspection scam doesn't keep junk off the road, all it does is extort money from the good citizens who try and play by the rules. from what i've seen so far, there is a decent chance that i will be seriously maimed or outright killed driving down the 95 at some point in the next year thanks to one of these $h!tmobiles that these requirements aren't able to keep off the road.
Hey man, I hear ya, and it certainly happens. I’m still confused though how you’re so sure you don’t need brake repair. What is the mm measurement of your brake pads? You can easily measure them and if they’re less than 3mm, you’re literally riding on borrowed time. Regardless, none of this matters. Bottom line is you have a few options. 1. Ride dirty and risk it (that’s what most ****mobiles on 95 are up to)2. Get the repairs and an inspection sticker. 3. Shop around find a better deal. 4. Move out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:18 AM
 
813 posts, read 489,688 times
Reputation: 1089
FWIW, I can't remember the last time an inspection found something that HAD to be repaired because the car wouldn't have otherwise passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,076 posts, read 1,090,258 times
Reputation: 2012
Ask your neighbors (in a neutral way, leaving out "extortion" and other trigger words) who they use for mechanics, inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 11:57 AM
 
12,717 posts, read 28,557,093 times
Reputation: 7287
I've had cars inspected in four other states and I agree that Pennsylvania is the most rigorous, however I trust our mechanic to only flag things that truly need fixing. He has passed us a couple of times but said we really needed to get this or that done. Finding a good mechanic is pretty much a thing to do once you move anyway, isn't it. I don't live close enough to Philadelphia to recommend our car place.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top