U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:26 AM

501 posts, read 437,391 times

Advertisements

You received some good suggestions. If you are looking for a place to hang out for a bit and have a beer and a meal I would recommend checking out Craft Hall. Its a kid friendly brewpub/beer garden. Lots of stuff for kids to do there.

As for a place where you could get a cheesesteak and not feel rushed I would suggest checking out cleavers in Rittenhouse. In my experience they tend to have a good bit of seating upstairs and there is no one to chase you off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 PM

172 posts, read 104,877 times
I would echo Franklin Square - it's fantastic for kids. Good burger stand, carousel. Grass. Playground.

Candytopia - think Willy Wonka - is a new interactive exhibit in the Fashion District (which just reopened last week) and is cool for kids as well.

Not sure if other posters missed the fact that the OP has a 3 year old (hint: 3 year olds aren't too into Independence Hall folks).

Food options:

Reading Terminal is pretty chaotic - I'd avoid with little kids.

The Bourse is on independence Mall and is a large, locally curated food hall basically for tourists. It was recently remodeled and is very nice.

If still open and weather permitting, I'd highly recommend Independence Beer Garden (IBG ) - it's a huge Beer garden right on Independence Mall.

Porta is a huge pizzaria - large beer hall style tables, lots of space - on Chestnut and 11th (5 blocks from the Mall) and is great for kids. Craft Hall - a little out of the way - as another poster mentioned has a large playground in the middle of a huge brewery/restaurant on the river.

Decent list here:
https://www.visitphilly.com/articles...ection--item-7

Old 09-24-2019, 02:07 PM

364 posts, read 135,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
I would echo Franklin Square - it's fantastic for kids. Good burger stand, carousel. Grass. Playground.

Candytopia - think Willy Wonka - is a new interactive exhibit in the Fashion District (which just reopened last week) and is cool for kids as well.

Not sure if other posters missed the fact that the OP has a 3 year old (hint: 3 year olds aren't too into Independence Hall folks).

Food options:

Reading Terminal is pretty chaotic - I'd avoid with little kids.

The Bourse is on independence Mall and is a large, locally curated food hall basically for tourists. It was recently remodeled and is very nice.

If still open and weather permitting, I'd highly recommend Independence Beer Garden (IBG ) - it's a huge Beer garden right on Independence Mall.

Porta is a huge pizzaria - large beer hall style tables, lots of space - on Chestnut and 11th (5 blocks from the Mall) and is great for kids. Craft Hall - a little out of the way - as another poster mentioned has a large playground in the middle of a huge brewery/restaurant on the river.

Decent list here:
https://www.visitphilly.com/articles...ection--item-7
I like your suggestions except for Franklin Square. They are from out of the area for a wedding in Warminster. They will only be here in the City for a day trip. They can find these things anywhere - "Good burger stand, carousel. Grass. Playground.", especially the grass and the playground. There's probably plenty of that in Warminster.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:15 PM

26,129 posts, read 24,898,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I like your suggestions except for Franklin Square. They are from out of the area for a wedding in Warminster. They will only be here in the City for a day trip. They can find these things anywhere - "Good burger stand, carousel. Grass. Playground.", especially the grass and the playground. There's probably plenty of that in Warminster.
Sometimes you have to let the three year old run around on grass for a while before they'll agree to get back into the stroller or carrier. Yes, there's grass in other areas, but Franklin Square was just a suggestion.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sometimes you have to let the three year old run around on grass for a while before they'll agree to get back into the stroller or carrier. Yes, there's grass in other areas, but Franklin Square was just a suggestion.
My kids didn't need to but that's beside the point. If kids need grass to survive, Independence Mall is full of grass and at least there, you are standing in front of Independence Hall, which the OP seems to want to do as part of their walking tour. The walk from Independence Hall to Franklin Square isn't very pleasant either, making your way past alot of anti-human scale mid-century architecture, wide streets with many lanes of traffic, etc....that's a lot of paved surface to traverse all in an effort to find grass.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:24 AM

1,179 posts, read 705,498 times
Thanks for the tips everyone, we will definitely take them all into consideration. Now if you could guarantee us nice weather on the day we plan on exploring the city, we would appreciate it!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:21 AM

42 posts, read 9,589 times
I'd check out Franklin Fountain if you want any ice cream and shanes for candy. They're both between front and 2nd on market street, not too far from franklin square, and have a pretty cool olde-tyme feel and make their own stuff. Suggestions for Reading Terminal for food is good; it's got pretty much everything. The Bourse, which is near independence hall/liberty bell on the mall was just redone and has a lot of good food choices as well. The italian market is kind of off the beaten path, but is worth checking out if you're around that area.

In terms of science the franklin institute is great for technology-based science and the academy of natural sciences (almost next door) is good for...natural sciences. It's the dinosaur museum. There's also the Penn museum for history/archaeology; doesn't get as much press, but very impressive.

The please touch museum is great for kids (i'm a member) and is in a beautiful old building from the centennial expo and has a great historic carousel. There is a pretty japanese garden right next to it if the weather is nice, and belmont plateau up the road give you a great view of the city. The zoo is also a lot of fun for kids and isn't too overwhelming. The smith memorial playground is also close, across the river and is free, but not sure if they're still doing some expansion work.

If you like art, the Philadelphia museum of art is great, but a large portion is shut down due to a massive expansion project. The barnes museum would be a better visit if you like impressionist art and then there's a small Rodin museum. All 3 are on the parkway. The Academy of fine arts is nice too, near the convention center on broad. There's also a free museum at the waterworks behind the art museum though about public water. It sounds kind of lame but it's actually kind of interesting and it's not very big. The water works in general has a nice view of the city and gardens around it.

Other than that, it's just nice to walk around the historic neighborhoods (old city/society hill/rittenhouse) and check out the squares (Franklin, Washington, Rittenhouse, Logan and center, which is City Hall now). City hall is pretty impressive; it's covered in sculptures. Not sure if the observation deck is open or not. I think Liberty place has one. Also, I used to bring guests to the top floor of the PSFS building for a free view. Not sure if you can still do that. The Wanamaker building (macy's) is impressive too and has the world's largest operating pipe organ. They play it around noon I think. Also, in old city there is a free fire truck museum. Small, but my 4-year old really likes it. Not sure if your kids have outgrown it.

Also, there's a train station in Warminster, so you could skip driving in and parking if you wanted to I think (not sure on the sunday schedule). The traffic usually isn't as bad Sunday's, so might not be worth it, especially if you end up going to the please touch museum or zoo. One thing I'd say though is focus on one area if your time is short (old city area/parkway/fairmount park stuff).

If you drive in and don't like highways, you can take Kelly drive which is a nice scenic way into the city (just drive safe as there are sharp turns that put people in the river if they're going too fast). I'd say take cresheim valley drive to Lincoln drive down to Kelly, which goes through the wissahickon valley, but Lincoln can be dangerous if people are going fast and has very sharp turns. Shouldn't be too bad on Sunday, still you have kids. Too bad people drive crazy on it because it's very pretty, especially if the leaves are turning. avoid if the weather is bad in any case. Roosevelt blvd is pretty notorious for accidents, so probably avoid that if google tells you to take it. Schuylkill expressway is usually backed up, but probably safer to get into the city. Going straight down broad (611) is another option but you'd be going through some pretty rough neighborhoods. Perfectly safe in my opinion, but not very attractive. I hate 95.

Last edited by skintreesnail; 10-02-2019 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-04-2019, 07:25 AM

I have one last question I'm hoping you folks can help me with. We are coming from the Detroit area. In planning our route to Warminster, Google Maps shows very similar travel times using either I-76 or I-80. I know one is a toll road and the other is not, paying the toll doesn't really bother me so I'm not too concerned about that.

What I'm wondering is which route would you recommend. I'm of course concerned about traffic, but because I will have two young kids I'm also concerned about the abundance of rest stops and quick places to stop and eat. Another question is which route is more scenic?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Ahh, Clawson, MI, now I get it!

I make the trek across the state at least once a year (and with kids) and I find the Turnpike (76) to be a much less stressful trip. Rest stops are every 30-60 miles on most of the stretch.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Ahh, Clawson, MI, now I get it!

I make the trek across the state at least once a year (and with kids) and I find the Turnpike (76) to be a much less stressful trip.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the tip. Also, if you were somehow aware of Clawson Michigan prior to this I would be really impressed. There are folks in Metro Detroit who don't know where Clawson is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or