U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 09:05 AM

1,179 posts, read 705,498 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family of four with two young kids who are 6 and 3 will be visiting the area for a wedding next month. The wedding and its associated events will be in Warmister, but we will have one free day and we would like to explore Philadelphia. From my understanding it is about an hour drive from where we will be staying.

I'm having a tough time figuring out what we can do that might interest everyone. One thing I would like to do is a walking tour of historical sites. I'm sure the kids won't be particularly interested in it, but it only lasts 1-1.5 hours, so they will be able to handle it. I'm not sure what we want to do afterwards. I saw that there is a Ben Franklin science museum that might be fun for younger kids, so we are considering that. I also heard there is an aquarium nearby in Camden, is it worth visiting? We are open to other suggestions as well. Also, keep in mind that our day in Philadelphia will be a Sunday, so that may impact what and how long things are open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,088,073 times
Purely for the kids: https://www.pleasetouchmuseum.org/visit/. Not in Center City, but very close.

Wonderful museum in the heart of The Most Historic Square Mile in America: Homepage | Museum of the American Revolution

Kids might like the Franklin Institute: https://www.fi.edu/ (that's the science museum you were referring to in your post).

Not historic, but uniquely Philly: https://www.phillymagicgardens.org/. you might have to prepurchase tickets. It's on South St, and not a long walk to Independence Hall, etc. Figure on an hour there.

Eating at City Tavern is a good option: https://www.citytavern.com/. They might be into the Sunday brunch thing, though, so check the hours & menu. Servers are in period garb but somehow it doesn't seem goofy.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:36 AM

Somehow forgot to mention the crown jewel:https://www.nps.gov/inde/planyourvis...ndencehall.htm

Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 AM

22,614 posts, read 27,948,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Hi,

My family of four with two young kids who are 6 and 3 will be visiting the area for a wedding next month. The wedding and its associated events will be in Warmister, but we will have one free day and we would like to explore Philadelphia. From my understanding it is about an hour drive from where we will be staying.

I'm having a tough time figuring out what we can do that might interest everyone. One thing I would like to do is a walking tour of historical sites. I'm sure the kids won't be particularly interested in it, but it only lasts 1-1.5 hours, so they will be able to handle it. I'm not sure what we want to do afterwards. I saw that there is a Ben Franklin science museum that might be fun for younger kids, so we are considering that. I also heard there is an aquarium nearby in Camden, is it worth visiting? We are open to other suggestions as well. Also, keep in mind that our day in Philadelphia will be a Sunday, so that may impact what and how long things are open.
You might want to google battle of Germantown and Battle of Redbank. Both battles are commemorated in October. If your visit would coincide with one of them, you might want to consider attending that commemoration.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 AM

364 posts, read 135,575 times
I think you have it correct. A walking tour of the Historic District is a must - you can just hit the most popular sites to keep things manageable. Start at the visitors center at 6th and Market Streets. You can get maps and other info there.

The Franklin Institute (science museum) is awesome. Your 6 year old especially will love it.

I might add a stop at City Hall. Dilworth Plaza is on the west apron. You can walk though the courtyard that cuts through the middle which is the "center of the city". The City Hall tower tour is very cool as well. You can buy timed tickets online (they are fairly inexpensive).
https://www.visitphilly.com/things-t...ons/city-hall/

I would skip the Camden aquarium since time is short.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:54 AM

Some great replies here and a lot to think about. It sounds like maybe we should skip the aquarium due to time constraints. I looked at their website and it isn't cheap, if we do go there I would want to make the most of it. It sounds like the Franklin Institute might be a good choice. My six year old does love science, it's his favorite thing to learn about in school, so it would be right up his alley.

Any suggestions on family friendly places to go for lunch and dinner that also have good food? Of course I would like to be a true tourist and get a cheesesteak. My impression of the two traditional locations is that they wouldn't be great places to bring a family. I'd like somewhere we could sit down for a while and not feel rushed. Since we will probably eat lunch and dinner in the city, non cheesteak suggestions are welcome as well!

Old 09-20-2019, 11:17 AM

514 posts, read 228,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Some great replies here and a lot to think about. It sounds like maybe we should skip the aquarium due to time constraints. I looked at their website and it isn't cheap, if we do go there I would want to make the most of it. It sounds like the Franklin Institute might be a good choice. My six year old does love science, it's his favorite thing to learn about in school, so it would be right up his alley.

Any suggestions on family friendly places to go for lunch and dinner that also have good food? Of course I would like to be a true tourist and get a cheesesteak. My impression of the two traditional locations is that they wouldn't be great places to bring a family. I'd like somewhere we could sit down for a while and not feel rushed. Since we will probably eat lunch and dinner in the city, non cheesteak suggestions are welcome as well!
Reading Terminal Market might be a good choice for lunch. There are tons of different food stands in there, so everyone should be able to get whatever they want.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You might want to google battle of Germantown and Battle of Redbank. Both battles are commemorated in October. If your visit would coincide with one of them, you might want to consider attending that commemoration.
Germantown reenactment is Saturday, October 5. OP only had Sunday available, if I recall. Even if Oct 5 were a possibility, a word of caution: IT'S VERY LOUD. VERY, VERY LOUD! Interesting, to be sure, and kind of cool to think it happened a mile or so from my home, but if you go, bring ear plugs ... because IT'S VERY, VERY LOUD!

Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Germantown reenactment is Saturday, October 5. OP only had Sunday available, if I recall. Even if Oct 5 were a possibility, a word of caution: IT'S VERY LOUD. VERY, VERY LOUD! Interesting, to be sure, and kind of cool to think it happened a mile or so from my home, but if you go, bring ear plugs ... because IT'S VERY, VERY LOUD!
We will be there the following weekend. Because of the loud noises I don't think it would have been a good choice for our younger child anyway.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 PM

154 posts, read 113,029 times
Check out Franklin Square (one of William Penn's original five squares) located at 7th and Race Streets on the edge of historic Old City. In addition to a large fenced-in children's playground, there is a carousel, a neat miniature golf course (featuring Philadelphia landmarks), and a food kiosk with picnic tables. There is also a beautiful fountain which features a music/water/light show every 30-minutes starting at 6:00 p.m.

Across Race Street is the United States Mint--America's oldest. The free, self guided tour gives the history of American coin production and you can watch coinage operations from an elevated walkway. The six-year-old might find this interesting/educational and the adults surely would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or