U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:48 PM

4,215 posts, read 1,556,004 times

Advertisements

The Old Gallery had the look that matched a downtown area with windows giving shoppers a view of the outside unlike this new mall. It kind of has a KOP feel to it which more suburban not so much a mall you would expect to see in the downtown area of a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 06:52 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The Old Gallery had the look that matched a downtown area with windows giving shoppers a view of the outside unlike this new mall. It kind of has a KOP feel to it which more suburban not so much a mall you would expect to see in the downtown area of a large city.
Aside from the old main entrance at 9th and Market, which is now a glass cube, where were these windows of which you speak?

The old mall was pretty much hermetically sealed from the outside save for that one entrance, and the new mall isn't that much different; the big difference I can see is that most of the stores on the Market Street side of the street level now have entrances and display windows along Market, a fix for one of the biggest complaints urbanists especially had about the old mall.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 AM

590 posts, read 435,121 times
Quote:
Wut?

Old 09-21-2019, 12:02 PM

4,215 posts, read 1,556,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Wut?
I dont recall seeing a view of the outside when I was there on Thursday. I entered on 9th and market but tI think you have to walk around something once you get inside

Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM

590 posts, read 435,121 times
Quote:
I dont recall seeing a view of the outside when I was there on Thursday. I entered on 9th and market but tI think you have to walk around something once you get inside
I walked past it on Thursday. I know what it looks like currently. I responded to your claim that the Gallery had windows with a picture of the Gallery that shows that it didn’t have windows. The building in the image below is what that same building currently looks like. It, not the Gallery version, has windows.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM

5,919 posts, read 5,331,728 times
The new Gallery is an overall let down (in my opinion), considering its been 5 years and $400++ million in renovations. I think the developers should have torn down and started over.

However, it is still a good improvement over the former, not sure I have heard anyone say they prefer the old Gallery which was dark, dreary and felt like a horror movie set in parts.

I think the area needs more residents and a few more mid / higher end shopping options to balance the crowd / offerings, and facade needs at least a power wash or fresh paint.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:25 AM

32 posts, read 6,245 times
I do agree it's a missed opportunity. The developers seemed to have built for a business model that worked in the 1990s but is rapidly dying out. Most of the crowds over the weekend came to see what the fuss was about but I wouldn't be surprised if most don't return, or come regularly enough to support the businesses. The retail on offer isn't going to consistently draw people from suburbia, which already has those shops. Amazon/online is killing brick and mortar retail (See Walnut Street) and this revamped mall isn't going to be immune from it. Given such a prime location it's a shame the owners didn't look at a much higher density retail/residential/entertainment/office/hotel complex.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:37 PM

188 posts, read 102,634 times
What is there to miss about it? I haven't been to the new mall yet but I've seen pictures, and just by the pictures I can already tell it's one hundred times better than before. The old gallery was a total embarrassment to the city, as it's close to tourist attractions such as the Liberty Bell and Old City, so out of towners would often find their way into the mall and see the dump it used to be.. filled with homeless drug addicts, sketchy people, teenagers skipping school causing trouble in there.. etc. Oh, and walking through the place there was always smells of urine, body odor, or something else horrible.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:27 PM

8,493 posts, read 10,661,747 times
Quote:
I hope you realize that the new Fashion District isn't complete yet. Also you act as if that area can't improve in the near future.

You're complaining about the KOP feel to it but my response to that is would you rather that area go back to how it was? The old Gallery had become almost a dump right in the heart of Center City. Tourists didn't really want to go there and it became a ceespool for "undesirables" in many sections of the Gallery. Can we at least be grateful that the city is finally trying to improve that area and bring it to the 21st century.

You also said it has a suburban feel to it. I disagree with that statement but it seems like to me your expecting that area to become like Manhattan's fashion district, which is something no city in America can truly replicate. Let Philly be Philly! One of the things that makes Philly so great is that we don't have to follow what others cities are doing. We improve on things that works for us and not for NYC or King of Prussia.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:50 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The new Gallery is an overall let down (in my opinion), considering its been 5 years and $400++ million in renovations. I think the developers should have torn down and started over.

However, it is still a good improvement over the former, not sure I have heard anyone say they prefer the old Gallery which was dark, dreary and felt like a horror movie set in parts.

I think the area needs more residents and a few more mid / higher end shopping options to balance the crowd / offerings, and facade needs at least a power wash or fresh paint.
The top end of the market is missing there, true, and I think you should be able to figure out why as well, but I'd hardly call the merchants there and announced downmarket. Most of them are in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia