U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:58 AM

2,231 posts, read 3,770,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, if you're considering Charleston, which by all accounts is a very charming city and one of the oldest in the Southeast, you might also want to consider Savannah, the first city of Georgia.

Its city plan, devised by James Oglethorpe in 1733, is very elegant - and it was modular to boot; it's a shame the city abandoned it after adding about 12 of the modules. Factors Walk by the Savannah River is also very charming, and there are some neat beach communities just east of the city.

Providence, Rhode Island's capital and largest city, is way cool - you should visit when they light torches in the river downtown at night - and close by is Newport, home to the opulent summer "cottages" the Robber Barons built.
Yes, Providence is appealing in some ways but it's very small. It's made a lot of strides and does get some positive national recognition. Maybe a side trip with Newport or a beach day for 36 hours if checking a show at Providence Performing Arts Center for a concert or minor-league Bruins hockey game at Dunkin' Donuts Center.

Rhode Island Monthly would have a "Best Of" issue where you can scan attractions and eateries.

It's a great restaurant city for its size, though; some claim its Italian restaurants in Federal Hill are better than Boston's North End. I've heard that for years but not sure if true.

College Hill near Brown University is small but interesting and pleasant along Benefit Street and Thayer Street.

Waterfire is where they light the river and have recorded music as folks walk along the small relocated downtown river. Maybe twice a month? Check their website.

Rhode Island School of Art and Design (RISD) is in the College Hill area near Brown, so it may be worth it to check their museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 08:10 AM

15 posts, read 7,460 times
To me downtown Philadelphia is becoming a NYC-lite and I know that may anger some people but its true. But then the neighborhoods are much more similar to Baltimore. I just moved to Baltimore and it's striking how sometimes I am walking in one neighborhood and for a quick second I feel like I am in Philadelphia.

While Pittsburgh is a nice place to visit for a weekend it really has no resemblance to Philadelphia. Quite honestly I think it is an overhyped city. I lived there for my four years of undergrad (2015-2019). The city has made huge strides in reinventing itself but is definitely overplayed. After a year I already felt as if I saw it all and was ready to leave. And don't get me started about the lack of diversity. The neighborhoods around Pitt and CMU are decently diverse, otherwise the city is extremely segregated. The tech economy there has left many people behind. There was a recent report including one of past professor who I truly respect on how Pittsburgh is one of the worst cities in America for Black people. Plus outside of the few Eastend Neighborhoods, the strip and Southside the rest of the city is still in free fall. But hey the incline is cool, theres bridges and Downtown closes at 7pm

Old 09-24-2019, 07:56 PM

375 posts, read 320,478 times
If I remember correctly you really liked Old City/Society Hill. If that's the case you would almost certainly love a week in Charleston/Savannah.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:23 AM

5,919 posts, read 5,331,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
To me downtown Philadelphia is becoming a NYC-lite and I know that may anger some people but its true. But then the neighborhoods are much more similar to Baltimore. I just moved to Baltimore and it's striking how sometimes I am walking in one neighborhood and for a quick second I feel like I am in Philadelphia.

While Pittsburgh is a nice place to visit for a weekend it really has no resemblance to Philadelphia. Quite honestly I think it is an overhyped city. I lived there for my four years of undergrad (2015-2019). The city has made huge strides in reinventing itself but is definitely overplayed. After a year I already felt as if I saw it all and was ready to leave. And don't get me started about the lack of diversity. The neighborhoods around Pitt and CMU are decently diverse, otherwise the city is extremely segregated. The tech economy there has left many people behind. There was a recent report including one of past professor who I truly respect on how Pittsburgh is one of the worst cities in America for Black people. Plus outside of the few Eastend Neighborhoods, the strip and Southside the rest of the city is still in free fall. But hey the incline is cool, theres bridges and Downtown closes at 7pm
Overhyped by who?? I never hear anyone talk about Pittsburgh, except maybe people from Pittsburgh. Its a great city, but most people are aware that its smaller and its offerings are limited compared to the big Northeastern cities.

An overhyped city is Washington DC.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:41 AM

299 posts, read 117,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post

I think you're a little off on this. I moved to Pgh two years ago and am still finding really amazing cultural experiences. Downtown (while nothing like Philly) is quite active for a city of its size, and developments are planned and in progress that should make it even more so in the years ahead. also love the proximity to the Laurel Highlands and mts. of WVA and western MD. Diversity is very low, due to a relative low number of immigrants, and that's a problem. Also, the African American population is like 15% (always been small compared to other large cities) and that makes it hard for AA's to get any political and cultural leverage. There are great city neighborhoods on the northside (Allegheny City, Manchester, Deutschetown, Brighton heights) and in the south hills (e.g. Brookline, Overbrook, Beechview, Mt. Washington).

I can't really think of any city that is a "replica" of Philadelphia as a whole. It is very unique in my opinion.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 09-25-2019 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 11:17 PM

154 posts, read 113,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

Wasn't sure if there were any other historic cities along the east coast worth checking out.

A coworker told me they loved Charleston, SC.

Anything in Connecticut or Rhode Island?

Well, since you've expanded your boundaries to include the entire East Coast, I think you would enjoy Richmond, especially insofar as history is concerned. Although Philadelphia is much larger than Richmond, both cities developed as major industrial centers during the 1800s. Richmond had over 85,000 people in 1900 so consequently the city has some beautiful neighborhoods of Victorian-era row houses and town houses (especially the Fan District) as well as the Colonial-era neighborhood of Church Hill. St. John's Church, where Patrick Henry gave his famous "Liberty or Death" speech still stands in CH.

Next to Philadelphia, Richmond is my favorite city and I could go on at length about the many interesting things to do and see there. I think it is somewhat surprising to note that Richmond and Philadelphia have a number of ties including:

Edgar Allan Poe who lived in both cities. As a child, Poe was adopted by John Allan, a wealthy Richmond merchant. In 1837 Poe became editor of the Southern Literary Messenger and the Poe Museum on Main St. in Richmond has a large collection of Poe's original manuscripts.

Thomas U. Walter and Thomas S. Stewart, famous Philadelphia architects, designed a number of large buildings in Richmond, some of which still stand.

Moses Ezekiel, a prominent Richmond sculptor, created the beautiful "Religious Freedom" monument in front of the Museum of Jewish History here in Philly.

Elizabeth Van Lew, a wealthy Richmond spinster, maintained a station of the Underground Railroad in the attics of her mansion on Church Hill. During the Civil War, Van Lew became the most important Union spy in the Confederate capital. Her grandfather, Hillary Baker, was a three-time mayor of Philadelphia in the 1790s. His portrait hangs in the Mayor's Reception Room in our City Hall.

So--if you like history and interesting architecture, I think you will love a visit to Richmond.

Last edited by VTinPhilly; 09-26-2019 at 12:08 AM..

Old 09-26-2019, 08:48 AM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
The problem with Pittsburgh is that people from from Pittsburgh live there.

(just kidding. I'm from Cleveland...)

And anyone that says DC is overrated hasn't been to DC. Love that town.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 AM

20,970 posts, read 9,829,102 times
I think Boston is the closest to Philly, an Baltimore right behind it.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:59 AM

5,919 posts, read 5,331,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The problem with Pittsburgh is that people from from Pittsburgh live there.

(just kidding. I'm from Cleveland...)

And anyone that says DC is overrated hasn't been to DC. Love that town.
Not true, I have been there many times between work, work events, friends, birthdays, prides, etc.

The biggest turnoff for me is the insufferable snobbery and self-righteous crap. Yes, its a nice city, I like the human scaled neighborhoods, but I don't see how it outshines any other major US city, and you have people from Alabama who move to DC and are suddenly worldly / snobby people who turn their nose at every other city except New York.

I actually met someone from Arkansas (in DC), he had lived in DC for about a year working in politics and I told him I was from Philadelphia and he was made some rude comment and rolled his eyes. My response - "You're from Arkansas, so take a seat".

Anyways, I don't think I could ever live in DC because of the people, nor does it provide me anything I couldn't already get in Philadelphia or New York or Boston or Chicago or any other major city.
Plus I find it rather boring and sterile in many parts.

Not to turn off potential travelers, I think its a great city to visit for a weekend trip, my whole point is that it is certainly overrated and puts some sort of spell on people once they move there.

But we can agree to disagree

Last edited by cpomp; 09-26-2019 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-26-2019, 10:08 AM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not true, I have been there many times between work, work events, friends, birthdays, prides, etc.

The biggest turnoff for me is the insufferable snobbery and self-righteous crap. Yes, its a nice city, I like the human scaled neighborhoods, but I don't see how it outshines any other major US city, and you have people from Alabama who move to DC and are suddenly worldly / snobby people who turn their nose at every other city except New York.

I actually met someone from Arkansas (in DC), he had lived in DC for about a year working in politics and I told him I was from Philadelphia and he was made some rude comment and rolled his eyes. My response - "You're from Arkansas, so take a seat".

Anyways, I don't think I could ever live in DC because of the people, nor does it provide me anything I couldn't already get in Philadelphia or New York or Boston or Chicago or any other major city.
Plus I find it rather boring and sterile in many parts.

Not to turn off potential travelers, I think its a great city to visit for a weekend trip, my whole point is that it is certainly overrated and puts some sort of spell on people once they move there.

But we can agree to disagree
Sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong people. I have friends in that town and lived there for years and while there was the unavoidable number of douchebag-ery you'll find in any city, it was not any greater than what you find anywhere. Now, NYC? THAT's a town with some real DBs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or