U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 12:59 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not true, I have been there many times between work, work events, friends, birthdays, prides, etc.

The biggest turnoff for me is the insufferable snobbery and self-righteous crap. Yes, its a nice city, I like the human scaled neighborhoods, but I don't see how it outshines any other major US city, and you have people from Alabama who move to DC and are suddenly worldly / snobby people who turn their nose at every other city except New York.

I actually met someone from Arkansas (in DC), he had lived in DC for about a year working in politics and I told him I was from Philadelphia and he was made some rude comment and rolled his eyes. My response - "You're from Arkansas, so take a seat".

Anyways, I don't think I could ever live in DC because of the people, nor does it provide me anything I couldn't already get in Philadelphia or New York or Boston or Chicago or any other major city.
Plus I find it rather boring and sterile in many parts.

Not to turn off potential travelers, I think its a great city to visit for a weekend trip, my whole point is that it is certainly overrated and puts some sort of spell on people once they move there.

But we can agree to disagree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong people. I have friends in that town and lived there for years and while there was the unavoidable number of douchebag-ery you'll find in any city, it was not any greater than what you find anywhere. Now, NYC? THAT's a town with some real DBs.
I know a native Washingtonian, a marches-to-the-beat-of-his-own-drummer type. He has something of a nomadic streak in him, but he lived in this city for about 10 years, the last three of them in Strawberry Mansion; I joked that he was one of the five white people I knew who lived in that neighborhood. (His neighbors miss him, as I learned this past weekend when he came back up here to visit.)

He moved back down to DC (his dad has a farm in NoVa) last year to take a culinary job he could stand (he had pretty much gotten over working in foodservice for Amtrak).

He absolutely loves the job and the restaurant he works in.

He absolutely HATES DC. He's made noises about leaving it - even moving back here - but has taken no concrete action yet.

I'm aware there's an actual city there - that's usually what I am referring to when I speak of "DC." But that city IMO has just about been drowned beneath the tide of self-importance that is Official Washington, "the most important city in the world" (as a bank ad I saw on the Metro in the 1990s, before it collapsed in a money-laundering scandal and got its ashes swept up by PNC, put it).

I read something recently about a store in the Shaw neighborhood, not far from the U Street Green Line Metro station, that was beloved by the locals and played go-go music (a form of R&B peculiar to Washington) on speakers mounted on the outside. Some newcomer moved into one of the new apartment buildings near it and promptly began to complain about the music. He tried to get the store shut down, but the locals beat him back.

Guys like that newcomer are draining what's left of the soul (in multiple senses of that word) from Washington.

Yeah, I don't like the attitude many Manhattanites (the outer-borough denizens generally don't display it) have towards those outside NYC, namely, that they should regard the statistical outlier of all US cities with nothing less than slack-jawed awe. But I'd say they have more to base that attitude on than Official Washingtonians do theirs. Yes, it's the capital of the erstwhile Leader of the Free World, but save for what the non-Official homeboys and homegirls bring to the table, it's not so much a city as an overgrown company town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 03:29 PM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
It's definitely transient. And those are the people that make DC appear soul-less. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people in that town that aren't that way and might take a deeper look around for you to notice.

I'm just not going to agree that everyone in DC sucks - particularly from someone that hasn't lived there.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:39 AM

5,919 posts, read 5,331,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's definitely transient. And those are the people that make DC appear soul-less. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people in that town that aren't that way and might take a deeper look around for you to notice.

I'm just not going to agree that everyone in DC sucks - particularly from someone that hasn't lived there.
Lol, not everyone, just like 7 out of 10.

Plus, from a city standpoint, DC is my least favorite for additional reasons (between New York, Philadelphia, Boston and DC).

Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Not true, I have been there many times between work, work events, friends, birthdays, prides, etc.

The biggest turnoff for me is the insufferable snobbery and self-righteous crap. Yes, its a nice city, I like the human scaled neighborhoods, but I don't see how it outshines any other major US city, and you have people from Alabama who move to DC and are suddenly worldly / snobby people who turn their nose at every other city except New York.

I actually met someone from Arkansas (in DC), he had lived in DC for about a year working in politics and I told him I was from Philadelphia and he was made some rude comment and rolled his eyes. My response - "You're from Arkansas, so take a seat".

Anyways, I don't think I could ever live in DC because of the people, nor does it provide me anything I couldn't already get in Philadelphia or New York or Boston or Chicago or any other major city.
Plus I find it rather boring and sterile in many parts.

Not to turn off potential travelers, I think its a great city to visit for a weekend trip, my whole point is that it is certainly overrated and puts some sort of spell on people once they move there.

But we can agree to disagree
I would have found it odd that someone from a red state Arkansas (aren't red states supposed to be oh so patriotic )
would be rude about the place that made bumf*** Arkansas possible.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:39 PM

1,095 posts, read 644,993 times
Quote:
Lol, not everyone, just like 7 out of 10.

Plus, from a city standpoint, DC is my least favorite for additional reasons (between New York, Philadelphia, Boston and DC).
I agree with you 100%. I lived and went to college in DC before moving to Philadelphia. I briefly fell in love. Even professed myself as a Washingtonian that was never moving. And then I realized. It is in no way worth what it cost to live there. And just lacks authenticity of place and people in so many ways. Which is what truly makes somewhere unique.

Its basic AF. No soul. No personality. And the suburbs overall lack character. Their public transit also is not bad persay, but overall on par with SEPTA and in terms of suburban access SEPTA FAR exceeds it. Its intercity coverage exceeds Philadelphia, but its suburban coverage is non par. It is the reason why 76 is a joy ride compared to the traffic in the DMV which is ranked right up with Los Angeles with the worst traffic in the nation.

For what Washington cost today. I would just live in NYC, and experience much more depth and personality for the same price.

D.C is fine. But get over yourself Washingtonians. The few who actually have lived there for over 4 years.

America starts here. When I go to D.C I tell 'self-professed' Washingtonians that I am from Philadelphia. You know the second largest city on the East Coast.

And they give me blank stares. Think hard for like 5 minutes. And then are like. Oh wow. You are right.

I also gently remind them that zipcodes in Southeast PA are only 2nd to the Gold Coast of NY in wealth. And to calm the f down. And they again have blank stares of disbelief.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 09-30-2019 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 01:23 PM

3,719 posts, read 1,790,696 times
Though the thread took a bit a side discussion on DC's stereotypes that as with most .... have at least some truth. To have someone comment on Philadelphia's. Labels then trolls basically.

But is there and true consensus on the title of the thread and OP's question? Some like the NYC boroughs likeness believed. Others mention Boston and Baltimore.

Seems strong least like Pittsburgh. I personally see less for Boston too. Primarily because the city already in the Mid 1800's. Move to neighborhoods of its triple-Decker housing. Also Boston isn't really a grid city. But on early American founding and war of Independence ..... these two share the most.

To me it still is Baltimore in look and architecture. Even if it has a bit wider street sizes. Its row-housing % is up there with Philly. Just is a smaller city. Not too small to be the best choice to me. Both boast of Medical facilities also. Just early histories less linked in criteria.

So is the majority consensus Baltimore as most like? Or Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx one. Of the combinations?

We all also realize most cites mentioned still have their individual uniqueness as does Philadelphia. There was no poll either.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:38 PM

42 posts, read 9,589 times
I vote no on Baltimore. Similar housing, but that's it. Same with DC. I would go with Boston or Brooklyn. More towards Brooklyn just because the New England essence is pretty strong in Boston and it's kind of its own thing, as well as its relative streetgridlessness.

Last edited by skintreesnail; 10-01-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 03:13 PM

45 posts, read 14,302 times
I would go B-more,parts of Brooklyn followed dc/boston

Old 10-07-2019, 04:49 PM

1,174 posts, read 373,574 times
Wealth? In terms of wealth New York City, Boston, Washington DC and Chicago are on a whole nother level from Philly. Philly is just about as poor as a city can be, although I think cities like Detroit and Baltimore are definitely poorer

Old 10-07-2019, 05:33 PM

13,310 posts, read 18,317,927 times
To me, Philadelphia has the history of Boston, the built environment of Baltimore, the politics of Chicago, and its own unique culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or