U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 AM

524 posts, read 206,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
To me, Philadelphia has the history of Boston, the built environment of Baltimore, the politics of Chicago, and its own unique culture.
Philadelphia’s built environment is somewhere between NYC and Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 07:41 AM

11,914 posts, read 10,616,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Wealth? In terms of wealth New York City, Boston, Washington DC and Chicago are on a whole nother level from Philly. Philly is just about as poor as a city can be, although I think cities like Detroit and Baltimore are definitely poorer

People ignore or overlook the large population in poverty in NYC. I have no idea why, I suppose because of the tremendous wealth among the 0.001%. It's not like Philly doesn't also have those ultra-rich at the top too, we just have more working class families and neighborhoods they can afford. The Bronx is among the worst in the nation, with nearly 50% childhood poverty and nearly 1.5 Million residents. Brooklyn is over 2 Million residents and not far behind.

Poverty Rates

The Bronx 28.7%
Brooklyn 20.6%
Manhattan 19%

Queens 13.2%
Staten Island 14.5%
NYC overall 19%

Philadelphia 25.7%
Boston 21%

Chicago 20.6%
DC 18.65%

Old 10-09-2019, 08:38 AM

5,915 posts, read 5,331,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
People ignore or overlook the large population in poverty in NYC. I have no idea why, I suppose because of the tremendous wealth among the 0.001%. It's not like Philly doesn't also have those ultra-rich at the top too, we just have more working class families and neighborhoods they can afford. The Bronx is among the worst in the nation, with nearly 50% childhood poverty and nearly 1.5 Million residents. Brooklyn is over 2 Million residents and not far behind.

Poverty Rates

The Bronx 28.7%
Brooklyn 20.6%
Manhattan 19%

Queens 13.2%
Staten Island 14.5%
NYC overall 19%

Philadelphia 25.7%
Boston 21%

Chicago 20.6%
DC 18.65%
Actually, Philadelphia's poverty rate is at 24.5%, its lowered from 2017/18 rates.

Also, the ignorance of some posters is beyond me.... Apparently because Philadelphia has a higher poverty rate, its as poor as a city can get and everyone is living penniless in shelters....

The extreme wealth you find in New York is a worldwide anomaly and is such a poor metric of comparison.

If you compare basic economic stats, Philadelphia as a city is not as wealthy as its counterparts, but its hardly San Juan... I'm not going to post stats because that poster clearly has an agenda and is so misinformed its not worth taking the time to show reality.

However, when you measure economics from a metro level, Philadelphia is right where is should be, basically even with Chicago and ahead of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and other large cities.

People seem to only focus on the poverty percentage and then base their silly assumptions from that number alone.

I like to mention metro area, because that is very much a part of Philadelphia, and with or without the metro, Philadelphia is far from the bottom, it just has a stubborn poverty rate (highest among the 10 largest cities), however, this past year has shown hope, the rate has finally dipped below 25%, while Houston has been holding steady at around 21%.

Another fun fact, Philadelphia had a higher % increase of $100k households from 2017 than most other large US cities.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:26 AM

11,914 posts, read 10,616,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Actually, Philadelphia's poverty rate is at 24.5%, its lowered from 2017/18 rates.

Also, the ignorance of some posters is beyond me.... Apparently because Philadelphia has a higher poverty rate, its as poor as a city can get and everyone is living penniless in shelters....

The extreme wealth you find in New York is a worldwide anomaly and is such a poor metric of comparison.

If you compare basic economic stats, Philadelphia as a city is not as wealthy as its counterparts, but its hardly San Juan... I'm not going to post stats because that poster clearly has an agenda and is so misinformed its not worth taking the time to show reality.

However, when you measure economics from a metro level, Philadelphia is right where is should be, basically even with Chicago and ahead of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and other large cities.

People seem to only focus on the poverty percentage and then base their silly assumptions from that number alone.

I like to mention metro area, because that is very much a part of Philadelphia, and with or without the metro, Philadelphia is far from the bottom, it just has a stubborn poverty rate (highest among the 10 largest cities), however, this past year has shown hope, the rate has finally dipped below 25%, while Houston has been holding steady at around 21%.

Another fun fact, Philadelphia had a higher % increase of $100k households from 2017 than most other large US cities.

Interesting stats thanks! And I agree completely--well said. The Philadelphia metro does have many smaller cities with high poverty rates I.E. Chester, Camden, etc. but those are very small percentage wise and is to be expected with Philly once being the "workshop of the World"--these are all deindustrialized cities built around factories abandoned and left to fester by nationless conglomerates. But there are also ultra-wealthy suburbs with concentrated wealth on a level of only NYC, DC, Boston, Bay Area---it is maybe the most representative US city and metro and tells the whole story.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:

That poster admitted to not knowing that much about Philadelphia but feels compelled to post about Philadelphia(???). Kinda like DavePa.

In spite of the continuing level of poverty( good, of course , that it is decreasing) Philadelphia does not have the amount of visible homelessness that is omnipresent in cities out west. No one seems to notice that for some reason.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:16 AM

3,715 posts, read 1,790,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That poster admitted to not knowing that much about Philadelphia but feels compelled to post about Philadelphia(???). Kinda like DavePa.

In spite of the continuing level of poverty( good, of course , that it is decreasing) Philadelphia does not have the amount of visible homelessness that is omnipresent in cities out west. No one seems to notice that for some reason.
Honestly.... put me on your ignore list then. You get enough flack from others yourself. Just typically judge outsiders posting. Yet this forum keeps getting quieter. Even the Pittsburgh one is more active, but there is a noticeable change in this forum if outsiders did not create a thread or comment.

What about the general consensus that Philly resembles something between Baltimore and NYC Boroughs? You find that outsiders need not suggest it? Even if some locals may agree.

You should Create some positive threads on good things happening in Philly in your neighborhood and travels thru the city. Not mock most newer threads and ones like this one.... a outsider created and a couple posted views.

Leave me out unless it is to one of my post you comment on. Think of new threads, even if a outsider creates them. As a reason to post your opinions, knowledge and corrections. Not as a scourge if even outsiders post. Many locals I use to see much more post by. Don't anymore.

It is showing in activity in the forum. So thank outsiders for some activity to reply to and correct and not always with negative stereotypes if they say anything not loving everything they saw.

Directly comment on my post if you see correcting needed. Most posting are locals or transplants anyway. So THANK the creator of this thread for it. A active thread creator in a few forums. No one city. Such thread creators help keep C-D active. You need them.

No post was anti-Philadelphia. I just saw anti-DC comments that could be about NYC too in ways. Thinking .... God forbid they did that to Philadelphia.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Honestly.... put me on your ignore list then. You get enough flack from others yourself. Just typically judge outsiders posting. Yet this forum keeps getting quieter. Even the Pittsburgh one is more active, but there is a noticeable change in this forum if outsiders did not create a thread or comment.

What about the general consensus that Philly resembles something between Baltimore and NYC Boroughs? You find that outsiders need not suggest it? Even if some locals may agree.

You should Create some positive threads on good things happening in Philly in your neighborhood and travels thru the city. Not mock most newer threads and ones like this one.... a outsider created and a couple posted views.

Leave me out unless it is to one of my post you comment on. Think of new threads, even if a outsider creates them. As a reason to post your opinions, knowledge and corrections. Not as a scourge if even outsiders post. Many locals I use to see much more post by. Don't anymore.

It is showing in activity in the forum. So thank outsiders for some activity to reply to and correct and not always with negative stereotypes if they say anything not loving everything they saw.

Directly comment on my post if you see correcting needed. Most posting are locals or transplants anyway. So THANK the creator of this thread for it. A active thread creator in a few forums. No one city. Such thread creators help keep C-D active. You need them.

No post was anti-Philadelphia. I just saw anti-DC comments that could be about NYC too in ways. Thinking .... God forbid they did that to Philadelphia.
This was the post that kyb01 was referring too...

"Wealth? In terms of wealth New York City, Boston, Washington DC and Chicago are on a whole nother level from Philly. Philly is just about as poor as a city can be, although I think cities like Detroit and Baltimore are definitely poorer"

People can create threads and post their opinions all they want, but posts like the above are blatantly false and clearly show that persons disdain for Philadelphia, and how uninformed they are, if that isn't an anti-Philadelphia post, then I don't know what is....

Don't act like you wouldn't respond to a post like that if it were Chicago instead of Philadelphia.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:59 AM

3,715 posts, read 1,790,696 times
Quote:
This was the post that kyb01 was referring too...

"Wealth? In terms of wealth New York City, Boston, Washington DC and Chicago are on a whole nother level from Philly. Philly is just about as poor as a city can be, although I think cities like Detroit and Baltimore are definitely poorer"

People can create threads and post their opinions all they want, but posts like the above are blatantly false and clearly show that persons disdain for Philadelphia, and how uninformed they are, if that isn't an anti-Philadelphia post, then I don't know what is....

Don't act like you wouldn't respond to a post like that if it were Chicago instead of Philadelphia.
Yes, with things as you did. Some stats and much improving occurring. But when post go to merely mocking a outsider who knows nothing. It is just showing the anti-outsider sentiment that lacks the civil correcting your post had.

Saying Philly poorer wasn't some total disregard and claiming other cities poorer was civil enough. A visitor can easily gather that opinion. It is what it is. Some cities hide it better or gentrified further.

But my ID got brought into her reply ..... otherwise I had no reason to post. Though I don't see the post replied to that bashing.

If it was Chicago as you suggest I'd reply too. I wouldn't see it as that inflammatory, nor nothing I'd need to totally mock the poster (not by that post anyway). Just subtle correcting as saying yes, its a Big city issue of Chicago as a Tale of two or three cities. I certainly could not deny poverty there ... just as I usually do. The city clearing out the worst blight and keeping streets looking better kept then some cities hoods. Help it in looks. But crime and poverty levels there can't be denied.

I should have just left her post go. But again... seeing my ID brought in. Had be not give it the delayed second thought that many times has me skip posting. I just instantly posted.

The forum needs you posting more too. You always highlight new things going on. Helps the forum overall. Sure Kyb01 too. Her knowledge of old Philly are unmatched and neighborhood as a lifetime resident. Enjoy all the reads and learn more.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:08 PM

7,831 posts, read 9,682,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Interesting stats thanks! And I agree completely--well said. The Philadelphia metro does have many smaller cities with high poverty rates I.E. Chester, Camden, etc. but those are very small percentage wise and is to be expected with Philly once being the "workshop of the World"--these are all deindustrialized cities built around factories abandoned and left to fester by nationless conglomerates. But there are also ultra-wealthy suburbs with concentrated wealth on a level of only NYC, DC, Boston, Bay Area---it is maybe the most representative US city and metro and tells the whole story.
Chicago is more representative of America than Philly..IMHO

Old 10-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Chicago is more representative of America than Philly..IMHO
I would say both areas do a very good job at representing America.

Both are very large cities that developed through American history (especially Philadelphia), both have industrial pasts with scars to prove it, both have very diverse regions culturally, aesthetically, architecturally, demographically, economically, historically, etc.

I would say the Philadelphia burbs fall more inline with Northern New Jersey and Southern Connecticut, whether that is more or less representative of America is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or