Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 08:26 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Good conversation.

Keep in mind, too, that the raw poverty rates calculated by the Census are not cost-of-living adjusted. So, you tell me with a straight face that a family of four living on, say, $30,000 per year isn't going to have it much harder in NYC as compared to Philadelphia as to day-to-day living...

Also, poverty rates include off-campus student households in their calculations. In a very college-heavy city like Philadelphia, clearly that's going to bump up/distort the numbers somewhat.

Fact of the matter is, even with its economically challenged pockets of note, the Philly region is much wealthier than most folks realize, and that includes the amount of wealth that has and continues to accumulate in/around the urban core (as I noted in a General US thread, what's most remarkable is that literally all of Philadelphia's household growth in recent years is in the $100K+ household income bracket).

In terms of "big money" US metros, Philadelphia is only surpassed by NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, DC and Boston in raw numbers. That's literally it (and it actually does better than LA on a per capita basis, despite that city's glamorous rep, and almost precisely as much per capita uber-wealth as Chicagoland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 07:04 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Good conversation.

Keep in mind, too, that the raw poverty rates calculated by the Census are not cost-of-living adjusted. So, you tell me with a straight face that a family of four living on, say, $30,000 per year isn't going to have it much harder in NYC as compared to Philadelphia as to day-to-day living...

Also, poverty rates include off-campus student households in their calculations. In a very college-heavy city like Philadelphia, clearly that's going to bump up/distort the numbers somewhat.

Fact of the matter is, even with its economically challenged pockets of note, the Philly region is much wealthier than most folks realize, and that includes the amount of wealth that has and continues to accumulate in/around the urban core (as I noted in a General US thread, what's most remarkable is that literally all of Philadelphia's household growth in recent years is in the $100K+ household income bracket).

In terms of "big money" US metros, Philadelphia is only surpassed by NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, DC and Boston in raw numbers. That's literally it (and it actually does better than LA on a per capita basis, despite that city's glamorous rep, and almost precisely as much per capita uber-wealth as Chicagoland).
And even when measuring the highest categories of wealth and county by county stats, the Philadelphia metro stacks up right with the other big cities, and actually surpasses both LA and Chicago is certain stats.

Other large cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. still do not have the economic power and wealth of the Philadelphia region (even though they have more people). NYC, LA, DC, San Fran, Boston are the top 5 in most metrics, then Chicago/Philadelphia.

For whatever reason the economic power and wealth of the Philadelphia region is either brushed over or ignored - Possibly because people only think of Philadelphia, OR confusion of Wilmington and Camden, when in reality the region, especially the PA suburban counties have been economic powerhouses for decades, most notably Montgomery and Chester Counties which consistently rank high in all metrics.

Finally, as you mentioned, Philadelphia (city) actually had one of the highest increases in $100k households since 2016, that is an extremely important demographic that the city is doing a good job at attracting.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This was the post that kyb01 was referring too...

"Wealth? In terms of wealth New York City, Boston, Washington DC and Chicago are on a whole nother level from Philly. Philly is just about as poor as a city can be, although I think cities like Detroit and Baltimore are definitely poorer"

People can create threads and post their opinions all they want, but posts like the above are blatantly false and clearly show that persons disdain for Philadelphia, and how uninformed they are, if that isn't an anti-Philadelphia post, then I don't know what is....

Don't act like you wouldn't respond to a post like that if it were Chicago instead of Philadelphia.
Funnily, DavePA said put him on ignore to someone else. I did a long time ago.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:45 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Funnily, DavePA said put him on ignore to someone else. I did a long time ago.
She Luvs me ..... the secret's out. Oh, and there is a post in the reopened Chicago vs Philly thread in the city vs city forum needing addressing. SHE WILL FLIP OUT. Cpomp won't like it either. Someone can tell her for me if I'm on official ignore.

Last edited by DavePa; 10-11-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Chicago is more representative of America than Philly..IMHO
How? The country was born in Philadelphia. That's 100% representative of America.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Good conversation.

Since LA can't manage the homeless crisis there how does it go on with the "glamorous rep"?

Old 10-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And even when measuring the highest categories of wealth and county by county stats, the Philadelphia metro stacks up right with the other big cities, and actually surpasses both LA and Chicago is certain stats.

Other large cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. still do not have the economic power and wealth of the Philadelphia region (even though they have more people). NYC, LA, DC, San Fran, Boston are the top 5 in most metrics, then Chicago/Philadelphia.

For whatever reason the economic power and wealth of the Philadelphia region is either brushed over or ignored - Possibly because people only think of Philadelphia, OR confusion of Wilmington and Camden, when in reality the region, especially the PA suburban counties have been economic powerhouses for decades, most notably Montgomery and Chester Counties which consistently rank high in all metrics.

Finally, as you mentioned, Philadelphia (city) actually had one of the highest increases in $100k households since 2016, that is an extremely important demographic that the city is doing a good job at attracting.
Philadelphia always gets brushed over and/or ignored while at the same time the MSM( including the bunch who are hq'd here) will focus on Tyler Perry's very faux / tacky looking film studio complex in Atlanta.

Wilmington actually has some nice residential amenities right next to the Christiana River and the Amtrak station. I wouldn't lump it in with Camden.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:47 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Philadelphia always gets brushed over and/or ignored while at the same time the MSM( including the bunch who are hq'd here) will focus on Tyler Perry's very faux / tacky looking film studio complex in Atlanta.

Wilmington actually has some nice residential amenities right next to the Christiana River and the Amtrak station. I wouldn't lump it in with Camden.
1) Not the mag I work for. Atlanta isn't Philadelphia.

2) We too give Delaware short shrift. But we don't confuse Wilmington for Camden.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 AM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Pittsburgh is a great city with tons to do for a weekend visit. Beautiful architecture, museums and cultural institutions, restaurants, and some of the most beautiful topography of any city on the East coast.
My wife and I adore Pittsburgh (she hails from Erie, PA and considers it home away from home). But it really is nothing at all like Philly. The only part of Philly that even remotely resembles Pittsburgh is the Manayunk area and possibly Boathouse Row and Kelly, Lincoln and MLK Drives along the Schuylkill. Beyond that it is a completely different world.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
My wife and I adore Pittsburgh (she hails from Erie, PA and considers it home away from home). But it really is nothing at all like Philly. The only part of Philly that even remotely resembles Pittsburgh is the Manayunk area and possibly Boathouse Row and Kelly, Lincoln and MLK Drives along the Schuylkill. Beyond that it is a completely different world.
The poster you replied to tends to make easily refutable claims to which folks like you then reply with actual facts.

I like Pittsburgh because it is not like Philadelphia. It's quite charming in its own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia