U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:30 PM

22,616 posts, read 27,948,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I am open to living in the city if it's a safe and quiet area, though I think the suburbs would be preferable. But I really am somewhat open minded.

This username is a few years old haha.

Thank you for the feedback. I did notice PATCO goes into New Jersey. Would you recommend the New Jersey suburbs over Pennsylvania? I would rather be close to the train, but I guess I can't rule out driving.

Thank you for the feedback, this is quite helpful!

What is a more realistic budget, or where should I look to get better value?
You'll get better value if you aren't in immediate proximity of PATCO. You might get lucky with finding a place in Merchantville. An apartment in Merchantville will likely be in a subdivided Victorian. Prices for apartments in Cherry Hill will vary. Just avoid the high rises across from the Cherry Hill Mall on route 38.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 11:32 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,307,557 times
If you can consider a roommate(s) and also smaller space, this can make a big difference for you too.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:14 AM

42 posts, read 9,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
What is a more realistic budget, or where should I look to get better value?
You can get a rental in center city for less than 1200, it'll just be small (most likely a studio or small 1br). If you got one in washington square west, old city or queen village you could just walk to work. Lots of other neighborhoods along the subway or trolley would work too, like fishtown, northern liberties, passyunk sq, spruce hill/cedar park to the west of UPENN. Manayunk is another option, which is on a regional rail line. Chestnut Hill has some rentals too and is kind of like a suburb within the city. Mt. Airy is right next door and is another good option. Both are also served by 2 regional rail lines. All these places are safe and have plenty of quiet spots.

If you don't care about living in the city and you prefer more space, then probably the suburbs would be better; there are plenty of quiet neighborhoods along septa regional rail lines in addition to the NJ towns it sounds like you're looking at on the PATCO line.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:58 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,709,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Woodcrest station is in Cherry Hill. Ashland station straddles Cherry Hill and Voorhees. Both have large parking lots. Haddonfield has a small parking lot. Westmont has a bigger parking lot. There's a lot of bus service to Haddonfield, from Cherry Hill.
The area around both of these stations I wouldn't consider walkable - in fact, Woodcrest was designed as a park-and-ride station exclusively (it was added to the PATCO Lindenwold Line after it opened), though I imagine there is a way to access it from a nearby street or road.

Maybe I'm making an assumption, but I got the sense the OP would like to be able to walk to a train station from their residence. The only place in Cherry Hill where I think one can do that is in those new developments on the Garden State Park site, which are next to the New Jersey Transit Atlantic City Line station. Downside: that train runs much less often than the PATCO Lindenwold Line, and it doesn't run 24/7 like PATCO does either.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:31 PM

7,188 posts, read 7,594,780 times
I would say do some more thinking about whether you want to live in the city/Pennsylvania or back closer to home in New Jersey. You don’t say whether you are from North Jersey, or South Jersey.

I know that the distance from Philadelphia to South Jersey is it that far, but if you think you will be doing most of your nonwork activities in Jersey then maybe lean toward living in Jersey. That way on your weekends you are already close to your other activities. Versus having to come and go back-and-forth on your weekends also.

For example when I got a job in DC, I knew I would be coming home to Philadelphia a lot. So I knew even while I was still looking for a job in DC that if I got the job I would live on the Maryland side of DC and not Virginia, as Virginia made no sense if I was going to be coming home to Philadelphia a lot. So that’s why I suggest thinking about where you will spend most of your nonwork time — Philly/PA or Jersey.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:31 PM

22,616 posts, read 27,948,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The area around both of these stations I wouldn't consider walkable - in fact, Woodcrest was designed as a park-and-ride station exclusively (it was added to the PATCO Lindenwold Line after it opened), though I imagine there is a way to access it from a nearby street or road.

Maybe I'm making an assumption, but I got the sense the OP would like to be able to walk to a train station from their residence. The only place in Cherry Hill where I think one can do that is in those new developments on the Garden State Park site, which are next to the New Jersey Transit Atlantic City Line station. Downside: that train runs much less often than the PATCO Lindenwold Line, and it doesn't run 24/7 like PATCO does either.
The OP told me that PATCO has no presence in Cherry Hill. That was my response to him/her.

From where I lived in Cherry Hill, I could drive to PATCO, walk to the Haddonfield station, or take a bus. That's the case with housing south of Route 70, west of Brace Road, straddling Kings Highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia