U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 07:31 AM

883 posts, read 1,383,917 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? Hopefully before the end of 2019

Where are you coming from? Atlanta

Why are you moving? To be closer to family

Where will you be working? No job yet

Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

1100-1300. Possibly up to $1600 depending on salary and definitely hi rise

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
I'd prefer as urban as possible, but I'm okay with close in suburbs

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, 0 kids

Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A

Do you have pets? No

Do you want or need a yard? No

Are you keeping a car? Yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I like living in a quiet area, but I can compromise

What do you want to be closest to?
Work- preferably, but I haven't secured employment yet

Shopping- I LOVE Target

Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)- If possible

Nightlife- I'm not huge on this

Train or subway stations- I'd like to drive as less as possible

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I like diversity, but I would prefer an LGBT friendly area

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Cider

I'm in my early thirties and I work in the fintech industry. I'm relocating soon between Philadelphia and DC to be closer to family. I have health issues that would require me to be close to them as well. There is a position located in Malvern that I will be interviewing for.

I know that Atlanta is very different from Philly and I won't be able to have the same quality of life as I've had for the past few years, but I'd like to replicate what I can.

I've visiting the city a few times, mostly the museum areas and I'm familiar with Center City. I love urban environments, but I can compromise on living in the city if I'm in a close in suburb with a Target nearby, CVS, decent grocery stores(I buy some Organic food), and clothes shopping(this is not a priority, but important).

I'm also an African American female and LGBT. I would like to be near an area with young professionals. I love going to live sporting events, museum events, theatre, music, festivals, spoken word, etc. I'm not into the bar scene at all, but I'll go to a bar for networking events and happy hour.

Can you all please help me out? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 09:20 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,633,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?

Single, 0 kids

Do you have pets? No

Shopping- I LOVE Target

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I like diversity, but I would prefer an LGBT friendly area

I'm in my early thirties and I work in the fintech industry. I'm relocating soon between Philadelphia and DC to be closer to family. I have health issues that would require me to be close to them as well. There is a position located in Malvern that I will be interviewing for.

I know that Atlanta is very different from Philly and I won't be able to have the same quality of life as I've had for the past few years, but I'd like to replicate what I can.

I've visiting the city a few times, mostly the museum areas and I'm familiar with Center City. I love urban environments, but I can compromise on living in the city if I'm in a close in suburb with a Target nearby, CVS, decent grocery stores(I buy some Organic food), and clothes shopping(this is not a priority, but important).

I'm also an African American female and LGBT. I would like to be near an area with young professionals. I love going to live sporting events, museum events, theatre, music, festivals, spoken word, etc. I'm not into the bar scene at all, but I'll go to a bar for networking events and happy hour.

First of all I'm like you(AA/ female/ lgbtq) but old enough to be your mom/ grandmom. lol

Your list of amenities tells me you need to be in the city itself or close by and, yes, your upper limit rent budget could work in the city depending upon what neighborhood.

Since you may get a job in Malvern there is train service which runs from downtown Phila( Center City) to Malvern on the Paoli/Thorndale Line. This train line is the modern version of the PA Railroad's Paoli Local and created the Main Line towns that it runs through. Look at the regional rail sections of the SEPTA web site.

Since you are a little older you might want to check out slightly quieter city neighborhoods that are adjacent to that rail line but will still give you decent and/or okay access to other things you want to do.

There are some quite nice, redone, apts in Overbrook Farms. Overbrook Farms is one of my favorite city neighborhoods because of its historic vintage homes. It's on the western edge of W. Phila. Or you could check out any of the Main Line towns. Wynnewood for example has a Whole Foods and two other main stream super markets( Giant and Acme).

Note: the main pro sports complex is in S. Phila. Lincoln Financial Field(Eagles), Citizen Bank Park( Phillies), Wells Fargo Center( Sixers, Flyers). The Union(soccer) plays in Talen Energy Stadium in Chester.

Spoken word? There's tons of this stuff: E.g. Phila. Free Library, UPenn or Temple(Charles Blockson Afro-American Collection).

Festivals: Sample: Fringe festival just ended and the Phila. Film Fest. will start in a couple of weeks.

I laughed at the clothes shopping priority! Before I retired I was definitely into that! Most of the high end/ designer clothes shopping is at the huge King of Prussia Mall in King of Prussia.

I'm guessing that your interview is at Vanguard. There is a TIAA branch here too. Afaik it's in University City near UPenn.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 AM

532 posts, read 208,633 times
Quote:

Single, 0 kids

Do you have pets? No

Shopping- I LOVE Target

To build onto kyb01, just beware that $1600 for a high rise condo (assuming by high rise you mean with an actual view) will be about as cheap as it is going to get. I see some places at Loft 640 are just above 1500. Places in Center City will be even more expensive.

You might find the area around East Passyunk favorable. You will get a better house/apt for your budget, it will be easy for you to connect from the BSL to commuter rail in CC to Malvern, there is a thriving lgbt scene there and a Target just east of there on the other side of 95, just about a mile from the 'hood. Besides high end shopping in KoP, the Rittenhouse area in CC also offers high end shopping and is highly accessible from South Philly. East Passyunk is also pretty nightlife heavy, but of course there is no obligation to partake even if you live there.

Otherwise, I agree with kyb01 that the area around Overbrook/Wynnefield is pretty nice. There is a target in Wynnefield Heights, and you will be closer to Malvern by rail, especially if you live near the station. It has a more suburban-ish feel there, yet it is more affordable (and urban) than the Mainline and will surely be quieter than East Passyunk.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:57 AM

883 posts, read 1,383,917 times
Thanks for the advice! I will research those neighborhoods. If money were no object, I'd live in Rittenhouse Square / Logan Square or nearby, I really like that area.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:18 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,713,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
To build onto kyb01, just beware that $1600 for a high rise condo (assuming by high rise you mean with an actual view) will be about as cheap as it is going to get. I see some places at Loft 640 are just above 1500. Places in Center City will be even more expensive.

You might find the area around East Passyunk favorable. You will get a better house/apt for your budget, it will be easy for you to connect from the BSL to commuter rail in CC to Malvern, there is a thriving lgbt scene there and a Target just east of there on the other side of 95, just about a mile from the 'hood. Besides high end shopping in KoP, the Rittenhouse area in CC also offers high end shopping and is highly accessible from South Philly. East Passyunk is also pretty nightlife heavy, but of course there is no obligation to partake even if you live there.

Otherwise, I agree with kyb01 that the area around Overbrook/Wynnefield is pretty nice. There is a target in Wynnefield Heights, and you will be closer to Malvern by rail, especially if you live near the station. It has a more suburban-ish feel there, yet it is more affordable (and urban) than the Mainline and will surely be quieter than East Passyunk.
I'll repeat something I usually say whenever the subject of public transportation in Philadelphia comes up: If you want to get around the area without a car, learn the buses. Yes, there's a social stigma attached, but they fill in all the gaps between rail lines.

If you live in Wynnefield, for instance, you may want to familiarize yourself with Route 65, the Germantown-69th Street Terminal crosstown line. This bus runs along City Avenue from the Schuylkill River to 63d Street, passing the shopping center with the Target at the river end of its journey and connecting with Overbrook Regional Rail Station at 63d Street. The Route 38 bus (Center City to Wissahickon Transportation Center) passes within shouting distance of both that Target and a shopping center with a Fresh Grocer supermarket.

It also passes by the Presidential City apartment complex at City Avenue and Presidential Boulevard (as does Route 65). This 1950s apartment complex of four towers was rebuilt top to bottom by Post Brothers over the last two years. It has fantastic amenities, including a resort-like pool and clubhouse. I'm not sure you can find an apartment for $1600/month in it, but I think it's worth a look; it checks off many of your boxes, including that of apartment towers in a quiet, leafy location.

BTW, I check off two of your three boxes: gay and African-American. However, I am male.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll repeat something I usually say whenever the subject of public transportation in Philadelphia comes up: If you want to get around the area without a car, learn the buses. Yes, there's a social stigma attached, but they fill in all the gaps between rail lines.

If you live in Wynnefield, for instance, you may want to familiarize yourself with Route 65, the Germantown-69th Street Terminal crosstown line. This bus runs along City Avenue from the Schuylkill River to 63d Street, passing the shopping center with the Target at the river end of its journey and connecting with Overbrook Regional Rail Station at 63d Street. The Route 38 bus (Center City to Wissahickon Transportation Center) passes within shouting distance of both that Target and a shopping center with a Fresh Grocer supermarket.

It also passes by the Presidential City apartment complex at City Avenue and Presidential Boulevard (as does Route 65). This 1950s apartment complex of four towers was rebuilt top to bottom by Post Brothers over the last two years. It has fantastic amenities, including a resort-like pool and clubhouse. I'm not sure you can find an apartment for $1600/month in it, but I think it's worth a look; it checks off many of your boxes, including that of apartment towers in a quiet, leafy location.

BTW, I check off two of your three boxes: gay and African-American. However, I am male.
I generally agree about buses but that's something the OP can learn more about later. She has a lot to tackle first.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I will research those neighborhoods. If money were no object, I'd live in Rittenhouse Square / Logan Square or nearby, I really like that area.
I live just north of Logan Sq in Spring Garden. I didn't mention it because a possible commute to the suburbs for work from there would be tougher. You probably know that Phila., does not have quite the freeway/highway system that Atlanta does, And, yes, I have been to Atlanta.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:40 PM

OP, I missed that you said "hi rise"

So you might want to check out:

The Alexander, 300 Alexander Ct( S 16th St N. of Vine St). New construction.
1601 Race St. New construction.
The Sterling( new redone apts). 1815 JFK Blvd. The Comcast office complex is next door.

These are all near regional rail stations.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:53 PM

590 posts, read 435,643 times
Quote:

Single, 0 kids

Do you have pets? No

Shopping- I LOVE Target

I currently live in the Atlanta area and used to live in Philadelphia. The Overbrook Farms and Wynnefield neighborhoods that people have suggested to you are definitely areas you should visit. To give you an idea of what those areas are like, the closest analogs to those neighborhoods and the suburban towns just across City Avenue would be East Atlanta, Kirkwood and Decatur, just with better public transportation and a greater concentration of AA people. You would have an easier commute to Malvern but are still close to Center City.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:52 PM

1,188 posts, read 754,539 times
While there is a train station at Malvern, getting to your place of work to/from the train station may be an issue although Vanguard provides a shuttle to Paoli station

Making my commute work for me (and the planet)

However, there are people who live in the city and park their cars overnight at the train station. The majority of train users take the regular bus but it adds up more time to the commute to/from the station

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Since you may get a job in Malvern there is train service which runs from downtown Phila( Center City) to Malvern on the Paoli/Thorndale Line. This train line is the modern version of the PA Railroad's Paoli Local and created the Main Line towns that it runs through. Look at the regional rail sections of the SEPTA web site.

I'm guessing that your interview is at Vanguard. There is a TIAA branch here too. Afaik it's in University City near UPenn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or