U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 08:29 PM

515 posts, read 231,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
So it all does come down to not being able to defend yourself against a crazy lunatic with a deadly weapon screaming threats at you, all of which happens in a flash. If you move on the crazed lunatic with the armed weapon, you are guilty of attacking the armed nut job and escalating the situation otherwise known as being at fault.

How do you know White would not have used the knife regardless of Schellenger's actions? Schellenger being intoxicated is not an issue here; sober or intoxicated, you can defend yourself, win or lose. In this case if you lose, you have ''attacked'' and ''escalated'' the situation that White is 100% responsible for creating.

So an angry lunatic screaming threats can pull a deadly weapon on any stranger and, if the target fights back, he or she is considered to be at fault? A store clerk will be considered at fault if he or she produces a gun, another weapon, or physically goes after an armed customer.

So, those using deadly weapons are subject to lesser charges if the target resists in any way, thereby causing their own death. Fascinating.
You're the only one inferring that anyone thinks Schellenger is guilty of anything. He wasn't guilty, but he was very stupid and reckless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 12:36 PM

1,196 posts, read 759,885 times
Almost a similar case in FL and the killer was convicted for manslaughter.

Quote:
During the initial encounter, McGlocktown was inside the store with his 5-year-old son. When he left the store, he shoved Drejka to the ground, surveillance video showed.

Drejka then pulled out a Glock .40-caliber handgun and shot McGlockton in the chest. He later told investigators he was in fear of a physical threat to his safety.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/10/us/fl...ing/index.html

Old 10-10-2019, 01:13 PM

563 posts, read 408,738 times
I'm personally a subscriber to logic and pragmatism over "appropriate punishment." This might not be the fairest approach to sentencing, but in my opinion it makes the most sense for society. If a crime seems like an aberration, an extremely poor decision on the part of an otherwise upstanding and contributing member of society, I prefer not to multiply that mistake by putting said individual in the system for 10 or 15 years. This almost guarantees that a broken, jaded, angry individual with limited ability to procure gainful employment will re-enter our society - often with new criminal skill sets and connections from his/her time on the inside.

However, this case is a bit concerning to me as this kid seems to have serious anger issues, actively looking for confrontations, and quick to introduce (and deploy) a deadly weapon. Hopefully this life-altering event changes his ways, but I certainly don't want some hot head rolling around my city ready to throw-down to the death with strangers.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:38 PM

1,196 posts, read 759,885 times
There are people all over the city walking with concealed weapons including guns and many of them are on drugs or have some sort of mental health issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post

However, this case is a bit concerning to me as this kid seems to have serious anger issues, actively looking for confrontations, and quick to introduce (and deploy) a deadly weapon. Hopefully this life-altering event changes his ways, but I certainly don't want some hot head rolling around my city ready to throw-down to the death with strangers.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:55 PM

563 posts, read 408,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
There are people all over the city walking with concealed weapons including guns and many of them are on drugs or have some sort of mental health issue.
Total agree, and all the more reason, when apprehending an individual like that, or anyone else for that matter who pretty obviously poses long-term risk by walking around, should be removed from society - for the good of society.

I'm not saying this is the situation in this case, but some of the facts imply that it could be. Hopefully this kid was just in a bad place mentally and after he does his limited time for manslaughter, he can finish school and have an entirely different outlook on interactions with people. A start would be for him to never carry a weapon again.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:47 PM

4,822 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Total agree, and all the more reason, when apprehending an individual like that, or anyone else for that matter who pretty obviously poses long-term risk by walking around, should be removed from society - for the good of society.

I'm not saying this is the situation in this case, but some of the facts imply that it could be. Hopefully this kid was just in a bad place mentally and after he does his limited time for manslaughter, he can finish school and have an entirely different outlook on interactions with people. A start would be for him to never carry a weapon again.
Agreed. White was all of 20 years old when this happened.

However, White was already up on pending criminal charges related to a November 2017 incident for, among other things, ''possession of an instrument of crime with intent'' (also known as a large knife).

Eight months later White killed Schellenger with, obviously, a ''possession of an instrument of crime with intent'' (also known as a large knife).

White needs to get some serious anger management and mental counseling though whatever happens to him going forward.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Almost a similar case in FL and the killer was convicted for manslaughter.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/10/us/fl...ing/index.html
Not even an ''almost'' similar case.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
You're the only one inferring that anyone thinks Schellenger is guilty of anything. He wasn't guilty, but he was very stupid and reckless.
Well, perhaps if posts didn't include, for starters, Schellenger being ''high on coke'', Schellenger ''escalated the situation'', Schellenger ''attacked'' White; this is a case of ''two bad guys'', or even here ''stupid and reckless''. These statement are beyond an inference though that Schellenger is to blame for being at fault or doing something wrong.

Schellenger tried to defend himself and it cost him his life. That's an instantaneous, on the spot call as a screaming lunatic has a knife on you.

There wasn't any dancing around between White and Schellenger here. This happened in a flash. White had no injuries, not even a scratch.

Put yourself in one of these situations and don't be so sure how you would react, not how you would like to think you would.

I still don't see how Schellenger was even stupid and reckless here?

Last edited by Kamms; 10-10-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM

4,268 posts, read 2,162,627 times
I am no fan of D.A. Larry Krasner by a long shot but think there should be a murder charge. I think this would be a third degree murder charge at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
https://www.fox29.com/news/judge-dro...D7nOJjX49tpu80

There have been a lot of different accounts of this case, so I'm not exactly sure what to think of it. Whether this is murder or manslaughter would be easier for me to say if we knew which one was the original aggressor and whether or not Schellenger made the racial statements he's accused of but I haven't heard anyone other than White corroborate. I think my personal opinion in the absence of that information is that it should be murder for the simple fact that it was White who introduced the deadly weapon to the confrontation. If he didn't take the knife out at all, there would be no homicide at all. But Krasner knows more than I do, so hopefully, he's doing the right thing.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 AM

6,945 posts, read 8,021,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I still don't see how Schellenger was even stupid and reckless here?
Not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or