U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 08:16 AM

501 posts, read 437,391 times

Advertisements

If the Wissahickon is too far then it is going to be slim pickings for anything else. When I lived in South Philly I enjoyed trekking down to FDR park and thought it was relatively quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:36 AM

208 posts, read 125,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
If the Wissahickon is too far then it is going to be slim pickings for anything else. When I lived in South Philly I enjoyed trekking down to FDR park and thought it was relatively quiet.
FDR is ok, but it's in pretty terrible disrepair, and there's often a lot of people having barbecues and parties, so I don't know if it checks the "quiet" box the OP is looking for.

I would second Ridley Creek as an option that's not too far; we're South Philly residetns, too, and it's one of our go-to hiking spots. I'll also add another name on the list--Pennypack Park, which you can get to right up I-95 off the Rhawn Street exit. It's one of my favorite places to bike nearby.

For something even closer, Bartram's Gardens is in Southwest Philly. It's not huge, but it's an interesting slice of nature in the city.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,088,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Blueberry Hill Trail(s)

https://southjerseytrails.org/2013/0...-gibbsboro-nj/

I met this guy through a Pine Barrens group in about 2005. With a job, wife, and two children, he no longer has enough time to get lost in the woods, but he's made good use of the time that he has.

I just remembered Palmyra Cove Nature Preserve! It can be quite busy on a nice day during the weekend, but lower temperatures and rain keep many people away.
Yes! The Pine Barrens is an excellent way to get away from pretty much everything. The Pinelands Preserve is about 1 million acres - a unique and sparsely inhabited swath of land (beautifully described in John McPhee's "The Pine Barrens.") I've been there many times, driving/running on the miles and miles of dirt roads and always marvel at how quickly you can go from the city to complete isolation (I once drove for just under 2 hours and saw only a couple of cars and a few dirt bikes). From South Philly, you can take the Whitman to AC expressway, Hammonton and then work your way east (toward Batsto Village is one option, up US206 is another). Whitesbog Village is a bit more north but worth the ride, especially during cranberry harvest season (which may still be happening).

And just meandering around the towns along Delaware Bay is another good option. These and the Pine Barrens are about an hour from South Philly, and will give the OP that needed dose of nature and quiet.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:04 AM

1,265 posts, read 354,178 times
Highly rated Andalusia Historic House and Gardens right off 95-N about 30 minute drive. (ticket purchase required)

https://andalusiapa.org/

You might find this link to regional gardens of interest.

http://americasgardencapital.org/

Last edited by Maddie104; 10-14-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-14-2019, 09:18 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Because,as I had mentioned,trying to cross the city is more stressful than just a hop over the bridge...and I'd still be in the city. Escaping crowds is right next to escaping noise.
Consider moving out of the city. Compared to NYC(Manhattan) we don't have crowds here.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:01 PM

501 posts, read 437,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
FDR is ok, but it's in pretty terrible disrepair, and there's often a lot of people having barbecues and parties, so I don't know if it checks the "quiet" box the OP is looking for.

I would second Ridley Creek as an option that's not too far; we're South Philly residetns, too, and it's one of our go-to hiking spots. I'll also add another name on the list--Pennypack Park, which you can get to right up I-95 off the Rhawn Street exit. It's one of my favorite places to bike nearby.

For something even closer, Bartram's Gardens is in Southwest Philly. It's not huge, but it's an interesting slice of nature in the city.

I completely forgot about Bartram's Gardens. That is a much better suggestion.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:14 PM

26,129 posts, read 24,898,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Yes! The Pine Barrens is an excellent way to get away from pretty much everything. The Pinelands Preserve is about 1 million acres - a unique and sparsely inhabited swath of land (beautifully described in John McPhee's "The Pine Barrens.") I've been there many times, driving/running on the miles and miles of dirt roads and always marvel at how quickly you can go from the city to complete isolation (I once drove for just under 2 hours and saw only a couple of cars and a few dirt bikes). From South Philly, you can take the Whitman to AC expressway, Hammonton and then work your way east (toward Batsto Village is one option, up US206 is another). Whitesbog Village is a bit more north but worth the ride, especially during cranberry harvest season (which may still be happening).

And just meandering around the towns along Delaware Bay is another good option. These and the Pine Barrens are about an hour from South Philly, and will give the OP that needed dose of nature and quiet.
You haven't lived until you've been to Chatsworth or New Gretna. Have you read Beck's books?

Old 10-14-2019, 12:55 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,088,073 times
Quote:
You haven't lived until you've been to Chatsworth or New Gretna. Have you read Beck's books?
Been to both, but was unfamiliar with Beck. Looks like he's written a lot about the forgotten/ghost towns in that area. Thanks for the reference - I'm always on the lookout for new places to explore. My current go-to for these sorts of things is "Ghost Towns and other Quirky Places in the New Jersey Pine Barrens," by Barbara Solem-Stull and "Discovering New Jersey's Pine Barrens," by Cathy Antener.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:34 PM

26,129 posts, read 24,898,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Been to both, but was unfamiliar with Beck. Looks like he's written a lot about the forgotten/ghost towns in that area. Thanks for the reference - I'm always on the lookout for new places to explore. My current go-to for these sorts of things is "Ghost Towns and other Quirky Places in the New Jersey Pine Barrens," by Barbara Solem-Stull and "Discovering New Jersey's Pine Barrens," by Cathy Antener.
Some people were angry with her for giving directions. Before that, you had to figure it out for yourself or know someone.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM

3,126 posts, read 3,238,663 times
Quote:
You haven't lived until you've been to Chatsworth or New Gretna.
Actually I just got back from a couple years in remote western WA state...actually was to the tip of the northwest,that's sort of living too;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or