U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2019, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Kennett Square, PA
1,752 posts, read 2,687,917 times
Reputation: 2815

Advertisements

Haven't been to this little boro in ages, but had to stop by a particular store yesterday on Lansdowne Ave, a couple blocks off Balt. Pike - Pleasantly surprised! There was a lovely farmers' market going on (dog friendly) with a really nice mix of people, fresh veggies, lots of interesting homemade foods, wines & cheeses & a section of the Lansdowne Symphony playing in the middle of it all!

Just for the heck of it, I cruised a few of the surrounding streets & saw beautiful classic homes in good repair on very attractive tree-lined streets. Not the town I recall many years back. Quite a resurgence. How long has this been going on? Do you think it will "hang in there?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 AM
 
9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Haven't been to this little boro in ages, but had to stop by a particular store yesterday on Lansdowne Ave, a couple blocks off Balt. Pike - Pleasantly surprised! There was a lovely farmers' market going on (dog friendly) with a really nice mix of people, fresh veggies, lots of interesting homemade foods, wines & cheeses & a section of the Lansdowne Symphony playing in the middle of it all!

Just for the heck of it, I cruised a few of the surrounding streets & saw beautiful classic homes in good repair on very attractive tree-lined streets. Not the town I recall many years back. Quite a resurgence. How long has this been going on? Do you think it will "hang in there?"
Yes, there are amazing houses in Lansdowne. It's been on the edge of resurgence for a while but fails to actually " get there". One reason, I think, is because it's alcoholically dry. But it has not become a byob place of nice restaurants either. That's a bit strange to me because one would think that the "downtown" part would attract them.

Dunno...right now people just seem to go to Media instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2019, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Kennett Square, PA
1,752 posts, read 2,687,917 times
Reputation: 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, there are amazing houses in Lansdowne. It's been on the edge of resurgence for a while but fails to actually " get there". One reason, I think, is because it's alcoholically dry. But it has not become a byob place of nice restaurants either. That's a bit strange to me because one would think that the "downtown" part would attract them.

Dunno...right now people just seem to go to Media instead.
Interesting - & thanks for responding. I didn't really check out the surrounding retail/commercial areas because I became too enthralled by cruising the housing inventory then ran out of time. Their RE taxes are surprisingly high, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
524 posts, read 206,992 times
Reputation: 821
Yes, many of the houses there look beautiful. These inner suburbs just West of the city interest me. Carless commute to both University City and Center City looks very easy on the Media/Elwynn line. Does Lansdowne have the same high property tax, poor schools (image, be it true or not) problem that Drexel Hill does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Kennett Square, PA
1,752 posts, read 2,687,917 times
Reputation: 2815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yes, many of the houses there look beautiful. These inner suburbs just West of the city interest me. Carless commute to both University City and Center City looks very easy on the Media/Elwynn line. Does Lansdowne have the same high property tax, poor schools (image, be it true or not) problem that Drexel Hill does?
Not sure if Lansdowne is under William Penn SD or Upper Darby SD, which has a better report than WP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 AM
 
208 posts, read 125,080 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Not sure if Lansdowne is under William Penn SD or Upper Darby SD, which has a better report than WP.
Lansowne is under William Penn, which is probably one of the big things holding it back. I agree it checks all of the other boxes, so it'll be interesting to see if it can overcome the high taxes / bad schools conundrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 AM
 
9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yes, many of the houses there look beautiful. These inner suburbs just West of the city interest me. Carless commute to both University City and Center City looks very easy on the Media/Elwynn line. Does Lansdowne have the same high property tax, poor schools (image, be it true or not) problem that Drexel Hill does?
It's a shame because, obviously, Lansdowne and Drexel Hill were very attractive communities years ago and you can see that from the quality of the houses. Some in Lansdowne qualify, imo, as mansions. Tree-lined streets and a lot of square footage. Houses that would cost 7 figures if you tried to build them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 10:36 AM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,307,557 times
Reputation: 683
I feel like Lansdowne will stay where it's at. Nice place to live, but a bit harder to go to different places as it's all smaller streets for awhile unless you live close to public transportation and use it often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 04:34 AM
 
186 posts, read 102,634 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Not sure if Lansdowne is under William Penn SD or Upper Darby SD, which has a better report than WP.
Lansdowne is William Penn SD, which is a terrible district, and one of the very worst in the entire Phladelphia region, actually . I think this is a huge factor which holds Lansdowne back. Families will never find Lansdowne an attractive place to move to with that school district. It’s unfortunate.

In spite of the schools, I agree that Lansdowne does have a lot of beautiful, old homes and a nice downtown that still holds a certain charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,917 posts, read 5,331,728 times
Reputation: 3048
Does anyone think some of these tiny boroughs / smaller school districts would ever consolidate in order to better attract and save resources?

Southeast Delco, William Penn, Interboro? There are so many tiny little communities, I wonder how sustainable they will remain in 20-30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top