U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 345 times

Advertisements

My husband has the opportunity with his company to transfer to Philadelphia. We currently live about 35 minutes east of Sacramento in the foothills of California. My family is here, his is in Boston. We are considering the move because we are hoping for a better work-life balance for him. He drives all over N. CA for his work (from SF to Fresno to Sonora to Napa). If we move to Philly, the driving should be cut down substantially. Also, it is closer to his family.

Neither of us have been Philadelphia before and we need some insight on where to look for a house, the overall quality of life in the area, the weather, taxes, friendliness of the people, crime, etc. Here are our details:

When are you moving? Most likely early 2020
Where are you coming from? the greater Sacramento area
Why are you moving? Husband's job
Where will you be working? Husband in Philly, I can work from home
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent for maybe a year, then buy once we find the right neighborhood
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, 600k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? We would prefer to rent a house (we have dogs) for the first 6-12 months. Don't want to spend more than 2k a month.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Honestly, I don't even know what this means. We don't have these where we live! I just want a regular house ◡̈

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA, also is Delaware a thing? Do people live there and commute to Philly? I don't want to live in NJ.
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/[/url])

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, both 37, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? NA
Do you have pets? Yes, 3 little dogs
Do you want or need a yard? Yes we need a fenced yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes, 2. We need a garage!
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We prefer a quiet area but close to shops, the gym, grocery store etc.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - 45 mins max commute to Philly
Shopping - Yes, maybe a few minute drive?
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Yes, again a 10 or so minute drive
Nightlife - No
Train or subway stations - I don't know if my husband would take the train. He needs a car to do his job so we are indifferent to this at this point

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We are both white, conservative Christians. I don't care at all about race, but I would like to be in a town that has good churches, a community feel (parades, Christmas tree lighting, farmers markets, walking trails, bike trails, mom-and-pop-shops) that's safe and welcoming. I would also like a place to volunteer to serve the community.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Water

Thank you for anyone who chips in to give some advice or tips (especially if you are from CA). This is a very stressful decision and any insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 11:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,307,557 times
You could afford to rent smaller places in Media if you can find them, or pick an area near Media.

Media has a little bit of a "nightlife", but it's mostly locals as the college kids hits bars in cheaper areas usually that are not Media.
Ridley Park or Springfield delco might also fit your standards well enough.

There are probably other suburbs or Philly areas you could consider that I'm not thinking of or know as well atm. You will hear from other posters- I'm sure of it.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:06 PM

364 posts, read 135,575 times
Based on the criteria, there are really limitless options. If you want to be in a classic town just outside the city, Jenkintown is really nice.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:35 PM

3,785 posts, read 3,265,968 times
Does hubby plan to drive to the truck terminal or take public transportation? Is the terminal right in the city or a close in suburb? Give us a general idea where the terminal is. Greater Philly is a large agglomeration of towns and you would probably want to be as close to his work as you can and still have the qualities that you're looking for.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 PM

364 posts, read 135,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Does hubby plan to drive to the truck terminal or take public transportation? Is the terminal right in the city or a close in suburb? Give us a general idea where the terminal is. Greater Philly is a large agglomeration of towns and you would probably want to be as close to his work as you can and still have the qualities that you're looking for.
Did I miss something? Truck terminal?

Old 10-17-2019, 02:00 PM

1,095 posts, read 644,993 times
Yes what part of Philadelphia where your husband be commuting too? Center City?

Old 10-17-2019, 02:07 PM

1,188 posts, read 753,839 times
I don't think you have any inclination of what they are looking for. Unfortunately, this is not the first time you are giving an irrelevant or wrong response.

They are conservative Christians and don't prefer water over beer. And they answered No to Nightlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post

Media has a little bit of a "nightlife", but it's mostly locals as the college kids hits bars in cheaper areas usually that are not Media.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:40 PM

397 posts, read 541,052 times
Dear Wells - When she said her husband drives all over Northern California, I took that to mean he had a client base to service over a multi-county area. You're thinking he's driving truck so he has to have a truck terminal at Point A. I'm not sure who is right. I hope the OP comes back to clear things up.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 PM

226 posts, read 68,029 times
Your home purchase budget will give you a range of options, but you may want to up your rental budget a bit. Having three dogs will be a limiting factor. Landlords who allow pets frequently have a two pet limit and there are many more apartment rentals than single family homes. At $2k, you may not have that much to choose from.

There are three counties that border Philadelphia. Going from South to North, they are Delaware, Montgomery and Bucks. Delaware is the closest to Center City and is the most dense, Bucks is the most rural and generally Montgomery is somewhere in-between. Chester County is also within the Region but I don't know whether you can get to Center City from anywhere in Chester county within 45 minutes.

The Main Line (named after an old rail line) extends west from the city and below the Schuylkill river. It reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting and features several desirable towns that could meet your requirements. Ardmore, Narberth and Bryn Mawr would probably fit the bill. The further out you go, the harder it will be to stay within the 45 minute commute. One drawback to the Main Line towns is that real estate can get expensive quickly.

Above the Main Line in Montgomery county, a few towns that stand out especially in terms of community are Glenview and Jenkintown. Ambler/Ft. Washington is also a desirable area; I don't know if they have the community feel you are looking for.

In Bucks county, Newtown and Yardley sound like a match for what you are looking for. They would push hard on that 45 minute commute.

Good luck, I'm a pretty new transplant here after doing a lot of research on the area. When I left New York for the last time, I remember the sign that said "Welcome to Pennsylvania. Pursue your Happiness."

Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 PM

26,119 posts, read 24,891,459 times
Jane, will your husband have to travel to an office regularly? A short morning commute is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or