U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:21 AM

590 posts, read 435,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
With Roxborough being as respectable as it is, the high school catchment is a different story. I'm under the impression students are shuttled from various areas to Roxborough High School to give it the reputation it has today.

One acquaintance told me he used to live in Roxborough and got things taken from him on 4-5 occasions and was glad to move out. He felt it might've been something about that particular building and/or particular small section.
A one-off situation, or any (potential) relation to the current high school dynamic?
With a few exceptions open enrollment high schools such as Roxborough are the dumping ground for special ed and other students that the charters and selective enrollment public high schools don’t want. Also, Germantown HS’ former catchment was divided between MLK and Roxborough when Germantown was closed which meant an even greater concentration of kids from outside Roxborough attending Roxborough HS.

Academically Roxborough HS has always reflected the demographics of its students. When it was white and working-class it wasn’t known as an academic powerhouse. Since enrollment has become predominantly black it remains not an academic powerhouse. The only thing that’s changed over the years is that the white residents of the neighborhood stopped sending their kids to the school when a significant number of black kids enrolled just like every other school in the city where that has happened. The high school does not make the neighborhood more dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:05 AM

11,914 posts, read 10,616,633 times
Quote:
With Roxborough being as respectable as it is, the high school catchment is a different story. I'm under the impression students are shuttled from various areas to Roxborough High School to give it the reputation it has today.

One acquaintance told me he used to live in Roxborough and got things taken from him on 4-5 occasions and was glad to move out. He felt it might've been something about that particular building and/or particular small section.
A one-off situation, or any (potential) relation to the current high school dynamic?
There are two public high schools in Roxborough (and NONE in Germantown now that Gtown High is closed, which to me is criminal for a neighborhood of 40,000+).

Roxborough High School is not the worst public school around--it probably trends toward the top academically of open enrollment high schools, but it has a huge catchment including very poor areas in Upper North Philly and Germantown.

Saul High School is on Henry Avenue and is a very good school. It is also the only Agricultural Public High School in the US. Randolph Technical High School is another "better than average" public school located nearby in East Falls on Henry Avenue.

As far as crime is concerned----Roxborough has always been among the lowest crime neighborhoods in the entire city with a lot of Cops also living in the neighborhood---similar to the Far Northeast in that regard (Andorra would fit in perfectly in the Far NE).

Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,307,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There are two public high schools in Roxborough (and NONE in Germantown now that Gtown High is closed, which to me is criminal for a neighborhood of 40,000+).

Roxborough High School is not the worst public school around--it probably trends toward the top academically of open enrollment high schools, but it has a huge catchment including very poor areas in Upper North Philly and Germantown.

Saul High School is on Henry Avenue and is a very good school. It is also the only Agricultural Public High School in the US. Randolph Technical High School is another "better than average" public school located nearby in East Falls on Henry Avenue.

As far as crime is concerned----Roxborough has always been among the lowest crime neighborhoods in the entire city with a lot of Cops also living in the neighborhood---similar to the Far Northeast in that regard (Andorra would fit in perfectly in the Far NE).
Saul is also truly a magnet school rather than a typical local catchment public school I believe, correct?

Old 10-25-2019, 02:08 PM

11,914 posts, read 10,616,633 times
Quote:
Saul is also truly a magnet school rather than a typical local catchment public school I believe, correct?
Yes, although not nearly as selective as Masterman or Central.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:44 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Yes, although not nearly as selective as Masterman or Central.
True, but the magnets also produce a decent crop of well-educated, intelligent graduates.

I know one Saul grad who (after a detour pursuing one of his passions, SEPTA Regional Rail, and finding out that [as he put it] he had little or no chance of advancing within the ranks if his name didn't end in a vowel) went back into the career he trained for, landscape architecture.

I also have another friend, a graduate of Bodine, who is at the very least my equal as a writer - sensitive and insightful. In one of our conversations, I asked him point blank why he didn't end up at the college I attended. In his case, he said, it had to do with chasing popularity instead.

One can indeed get a very good education in the city's public schools. it's just that it usually requires more effort to obtain it.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:49 AM

590 posts, read 435,121 times
Quote:

This comment is spot on. Roxborough HS is one of the better open enrollment high schools and the neighborhood has a low crime rate.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:30 PM

32 posts, read 6,245 times
I've looked at housing listings in Manayunk and East Falls (the comparable parts of East Falls). What I find telling is that housing appreciation is practically non-existent. Barely keeping up with inflation. Plenty of instances of someone buying a rowhouse for 275k in 2010 and selling it for 299k today. And these are nicely kept up properties. I find it intriguing. But it also tells me the money is flocking to closer in areas like Point Breeze or Kensington, which has seen far more investment and gentrification and appreciation.

As it stands, you can get pretty good deals in East Falls/Manayunk now. Sub 300k for a well-kept, nicely maintained and even updated rowhouse in a safe area not too far from Center City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or