U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which formerly forlorn sections of the city will see the most transformative changes in the 2020s?
Lower North Philly 10 29.41%
Central North Philly 1 2.94%
Upper North Philly 1 2.94%
West Philly--South of Market 7 20.59%
West Philly--North of Market 3 8.82%
Southwest Philly 2 5.88%
Kensington 9 26.47%
Frankford 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 10:53 AM

590 posts, read 435,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
The bottom line is this: Germantown, while zoned as part of Philadelphia, is barely connected to the Philadelphia in which most (not all) people desire to reside. There is just nothing to do in Germantown that one would associate with a city. Unfortunately, this will be its downfall.
Uh, no. Germantown’s issues are poverty and racial segregation. West Mount Airy is less urban than Germantown yet far more prosperous. Similarly much of the Northeast is more healthy and vibrant than Germantown. It may be hard for you to believe but most people don’t choose where to live based on nightlife or other such ephemera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 11:52 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,631,457 times
Quote:
The bottom line is this: Germantown, while zoned as part of Philadelphia, is barely connected to the Philadelphia in which most (not all) people desire to reside. There is just nothing to do in Germantown that one would associate with a city. Unfortunately, this will be its downfall.
I forget how old you are( or I never knew in the first place) but Northern Liberties and Fishtown were pretty undesirable in 2000 or so except to people who lived there at the time. It changed.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:58 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm not a Christian anymore and this was after being indoctrinated with Calvinism(Presbyterianism) on one side of my family and Methodism( Wesleyism) on the other. I "jumped ship" so to speak and was confirmed as an Episcopalian. Then there were big leaps into Charismatic Catholicism during the mid-70s.

Now, I'm none of those things because outright and veiled homophobia makes it impossible for me to even step foot in any church or any religious institution. There have been times when I have made exceptions to that but they are extremely rare. I know you and Pete Buttigieg are sincere but I just can't go along with it anymore.
And I wouldn't hold that against you, for the organized church has given you plenty of reasons over the years to be disgusted.

BTW, I actually became a confirmed Episcopalian at age 14, but I too was baptized Presbyterian. There's a joke about the major Protestant faiths that plays off social status; it begins with Baptists and ends with Episcopalians - "an Episcopalian is a Presbyterian whose investments have done very, very well."

My mother called herself a "unilaterally excommunicated" Catholic.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times
Quote:
You've already gotten some blowback from others on this, but if you really think that, then explain Point Breeze to me.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:09 AM

557 posts, read 404,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You've already gotten some blowback from others on this, but if you really think that, then explain Point Breeze to me.

Point Breeze is a 5 minute Uber ride to Rittenhouse Square. To address Karen's point about NL and Fishtown, same thing, except to Old City. You guys are validating my point. People want to live in or near the city. Germantown isn't anywhere near the "city." To address BR's statement, yes, new wealth and new city residents want to LIVE IN THE CITY. I don't know why this is so confusing. Might as well live in Quakertown.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:12 AM

None of this matters. Believe what you guy want. Germantown is going to be poverty-stricken and run-down for a very long time. In 10 years we'll be having the same exact discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 08:48 AM

26 posts, read 6,123 times
Quote:
Point Breeze is a 5 minute Uber ride to Rittenhouse Square. To address Karen's point about NL and Fishtown, same thing, except to Old City. You guys are validating my point. People want to live in or near the city. Germantown isn't anywhere near the "city." To address BR's statement, yes, new wealth and new city residents want to LIVE IN THE CITY. I don't know why this is so confusing. Might as well live in Quakertown.
There are many benefits to living right next to the Wissahickon, whether you like it or not. Germantown is a quick regional rail ride away from the heart of the city.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:38 AM

226 posts, read 68,273 times
Quote:
I get your point, but not everyone can afford or wants to live in the neighborhoods surrounding Center City. Some want a neighborhood city experience. It's like living in Queens and Brooklyn rather than Manhattan. Or Lincoln Park/ Wicker Park in Chicago instead of the areas surrounding the Loop.

Those other places are not all garbage. Last time I looked, Germantown was Incorporated into Philadelphia in 1854 and still is.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:35 PM

Very very very few people move to Philadelphia and pay wage tax, enroll their kids in private schools out of necessity and live an hour+ outside the city just because there is a park nearby. That’s kind of a ridiculous statement.

And you’re correct, not everyone can afford to live near or in the city. That’s who lives in Germantown, which is why it will retain high levels of poverty and crime for the discernible future. Just is what it is. Not sure why we’re arguing about this. I’m not bashing G-Town. Just stating the situation.

Last edited by Pennsport; 11-10-2019 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-10-2019, 02:45 PM

226 posts, read 68,273 times
Even if they could afford to, not everyone wants to be in or near the center of town. If you think Germantown is too far out, what about Chestnut Hill, which has no shortage of adherents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or