U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which formerly forlorn sections of the city will see the most transformative changes in the 2020s?
Lower North Philly 10 29.41%
Central North Philly 1 2.94%
Upper North Philly 1 2.94%
West Philly--South of Market 7 20.59%
West Philly--North of Market 3 8.82%
Southwest Philly 2 5.88%
Kensington 9 26.47%
Frankford 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 08:42 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,711,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Aldan Park is one the best and beautiful apt complexes in the city that I'm aware of. Guess where it is?

Look, Pennport is the guy who tried to tell me that black homeowners, who live in gentrifying neighborhoods, should sell their homes for pennies on the dollar to flippers so those flippers can gain all the home equity related wealth. That attitude is something I will fight against 100%.
I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I suspect Pennsport wouldn't know what to make of Jumpstart Germantown and its progeny. A Jewish guy who lives in Mt. Airy teaching African-Americans and women how to become their own developers and renew their neighborhoods from within while building wealth for themselves and their families? Couldn't possibly happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 10:01 AM

557 posts, read 404,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I suspect Pennsport wouldn't know what to make of Jumpstart Germantown and its progeny. A Jewish guy who lives in Mt. Airy teaching African-Americans and women how to become their own developers and renew their neighborhoods from within while building wealth for themselves and their families? Couldn't possibly happen.
Karen, I never told you or anyone else to sell houses for pennies on the dollar. I have no idea where you got blatantly incorrect story from. Ok, you guys win. Germantown is headed up due to homegrown reinvestment and focus.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Karen, I never told you or anyone else to sell houses for pennies on the dollar. I have no idea where you got blatantly incorrect story from. Ok, you guys win. Germantown is headed up due to homegrown reinvestment and focus.
Just remember: I didn't say it would happen overnight.

This isn't going to be another Point Breeze, or even a Sharswood. This is going to be slow (maybe very slow) and incremental. Because of this, it will be more durable, and what we said upthread notwithstanding, less susceptible to dramatic downturns when the markets go south.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:58 AM

501 posts, read 437,407 times
If you live here I think its hard to deny that Mt. Airy and Germantown have seen a recent influx of new residents. There have been several posters on this board to Moved to the NW from the greater center city neighborhoods (myself included). Mt. Airy is probably the best represented neighborhood on this board.

My unscientific observation is that the upper northwest appeals to those who moved to central Philadelphia as transplants when they were younger but now that they are older (perhaps thinking about children) they want more space and better housing without completely giving up on living in an urban environment. My block alone has seven such households that I know about. The people coming here now seem to be those that moved to central philly in the 2005-2010 time period (and a weirdly large amount of people moving here from Brooklyn).

I absolutely loved living in South Philly but after 6 years the lack of trees started to get to me. My first trip to Mt. Airy felt magical. As I get older I realize I don't really care about have 100+ bars and restaurants in walking distance but I do value having a nice main street with some good local options in walking distance.

This area is also good for households that have split commuters. I work in center city and my fiance enjoys a short commute to conshohocken. Others I know commute to job centers in Forth Washington, Willow Grove, Springhouse, Horsham, or City Line ave. Likewise while the office parks in KOP are not exactly close it is a much better commute from here than anywhere in greater center city.

As the wave of transplants that arrived around the same time I did (2007) get older some will want to continue living in the city, some will move to the burbs and some will want something in between. I think many of those choosing something in between will pick the upper northwest.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
If you live here I think its hard to deny that Mt. Airy and Germantown have seen a recent influx of new residents. There have been several posters on this board to Moved to the NW from the greater center city neighborhoods (myself included). Mt. Airy is probably the best represented neighborhood on this board.

My unscientific observation is that the upper northwest appeals to those who moved to central Philadelphia as transplants when they were younger but now that they are older (perhaps thinking about children) they want more space and better housing without completely giving up on living in an urban environment. My block alone has seven such households that I know about. The people coming here now seem to be those that moved to central philly in the 2005-2010 time period (and a weirdly large amount of people moving here from Brooklyn).

I absolutely loved living in South Philly but after 6 years the lack of trees started to get to me. My first trip to Mt. Airy felt magical. As I get older I realize I don't really care about have 100+ bars and restaurants in walking distance but I do value having a nice main street with some good local options in walking distance.

This area is also good for households that have split commuters. I work in center city and my fiance enjoys a short commute to conshohocken. Others I know commute to job centers in Forth Washington, Willow Grove, Springhouse, Horsham, or City Line ave. Likewise while the office parks in KOP are not exactly close it is a much better commute from here than anywhere in greater center city.

As the wave of transplants that arrived around the same time I did (2007) get older some will want to continue living in the city, some will move to the burbs and some will want something in between. I think many of those choosing something in between will pick the upper northwest.
Let me jump in again to say that as of now, Germantown is a tougher sell than Mt. Airy to these people.

But if those Jumpstarters are rehabbing houses, pricing them around $400k, and getting that amount for their houses - and I've seen more than a few of them, mostly variants on what I call the "generic gray box" rehab, upscale version - then it's not as tough a sell as it used to be. The number of such houses is small relative to the entire Germantown real estate market, but it used to be nonexistent outside those pockets of affluence I mentioned before. Most of the rehabs go for $200k-$399k.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:03 PM

501 posts, read 437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Let me jump in again to say that as of now, Germantown is a tougher sell than Mt. Airy to these people.

But if those Jumpstarters are rehabbing houses, pricing them around $400k, and getting that amount for their houses - and I've seen more than a few of them, mostly variants on what I call the "generic gray box" rehab, upscale version - then it's not as tough a sell as it used to be. The number of such houses is small relative to the entire Germantown real estate market, but it used to be nonexistent outside those pockets of affluence I mentioned before. Most of the rehabs go for $200k-$399k.
I agree. I think it is telling that when the Germantown rehabs do appear on the market none of them seem to sit for very long. To me that indicates that the demand already exists but the investors have not discovered the market yet. I've known a few Mt. Airy folks that have moved to Germantown to buy a house (they were renters) or to be able to buy a bigger house as their family grew. I imagine much of the development will crowd around the Mt. Airy border and slowly work its way down.

I think Germantown has been lagging on the business front but there have been some recent signs of life. The relatively recent openings of Uncle Bobbies/Germantown Espresso/Ultimo is certainly positive. The opening of the cupcake cafe and Jesisy's is another. I believe there is a Cidery opening soon on the Germantown section of the Avenue. I've also heard good things about Jr. Billy's smokehouse on Chelten but haven't tried it yet myself. I hope this trend continues. Ultimately what dissuaded me from purchasing in Germantown vs. Mt. Airy was the sense that there was not much for me to do in walking distance. I like being able to walk to get coffee/dinner/drinks. That seems to be slowly changing.

I also think Germantown needs to better promote some of their already existing amenities. I'm thinking of Rittenhouse Soundworks and la rose jazz club.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:39 PM

525 posts, read 207,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I agree. I think it is telling that when the Germantown rehabs do appear on the market none of them seem to sit for very long. To me that indicates that the demand already exists but the investors have not discovered the market yet. I've known a few Mt. Airy folks that have moved to Germantown to buy a house (they were renters) or to be able to buy a bigger house as their family grew. I imagine much of the development will crowd around the Mt. Airy border and slowly work its way down.

I think Germantown has been lagging on the business front but there have been some recent signs of life. The relatively recent openings of Uncle Bobbies/Germantown Espresso/Ultimo is certainly positive. The opening of the cupcake cafe and Jesisy's is another. I believe there is a Cidery opening soon on the Germantown section of the Avenue. I've also heard good things about Jr. Billy's smokehouse on Chelten but haven't tried it yet myself. I hope this trend continues. Ultimately what dissuaded me from purchasing in Germantown vs. Mt. Airy was the sense that there was not much for me to do in walking distance. I like being able to walk to get coffee/dinner/drinks. That seems to be slowly changing.

I also think Germantown needs to better promote some of their already existing amenities. I'm thinking of Rittenhouse Soundworks and la rose jazz club.
Yeah, it is a shame only a couple of places really get city-wide recognition here. Chelten Ave, along with Germantown Ave, have real potential to be restaurant, entertainment and nightlife hubs for the area, yet much of these areas still feel pretty run down, especially everything northeast of Wayne on Chelten. I know so many people of my generation (Millenials) who really admire Germantown and Mt. Airy, and talk about moving up here when they are older. It is green, it has character, it has transit, houses/lots are bigger and it is affordable. Will it ever be a nightlife hub? Probably not. I hope the slow, "organic" transformation does continue. I hope we do get some more fun bars and eateries. But it won't rapidly flip like Fishtown or the like.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 6,123 times
I'm not going to continue entertaining Pennsport's incredibly narrow, South Philly-centric view of what a city is / should be. Instead, here's an example of some new, market-rate apartments and condos in Germantown by the same folks who are building in Kensington, Francisville, and Brewerytown. It's interesting to see them marketed as "Mt Airy / Germantown," potentially in the same way that realtors started using the word "Fishtown" a bit liberally.

Mt. Airy / Germantown Properties - Stamm Development Group

Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
I'm not going to continue entertaining Pennsport's incredibly narrow, South Philly-centric view of what a city is / should be. Instead, here's an example of some new, market-rate apartments and condos in Germantown by the same folks who are building in Kensington, Francisville, and Brewerytown. It's interesting to see them marketed as "Mt Airy / Germantown," potentially in the same way that realtors started using the word "Fishtown" a bit liberally.

Mt. Airy / Germantown Properties - Stamm Development Group
But the two projects featured on that page are clearly labeled as being in Germantown - one of them even has "Germantown" in its name.

But speaking of using terms liberally, it seems apartment building developers and owners toss the term "luxury" around pretty liberally too. The developer calls both of these buildings "luxury" apartment buildings. Now, the apartments themselves may have fancier fixtures than others - I wouldn't know unless and until they release photos and renderings. But in terms of amenities, both are far from what I'd call "luxury" buildings. One has a residents' lounge, and the other a dog washing station, but one nice amenity does not a luxury rental make.

Still, these are brand-new buildings, they're market-rate apartments, and they're definitely in Germantown - one of them just down the block from Germantown Town Hall.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:42 AM

11,914 posts, read 10,618,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
You think people move to a city to live by a forest? If you are correct though, why hasn't anything happened there? Dozens of city neighborhoods have completely transformed over the last 15 years. The park has always been there. Germantown itself has been there for hundreds of years. What exactly is holding people back from embracing the city/park life? You say " people chose a neighborhood based on its amenities and proximity to other thing." I agree, and that speaks volumes about how the people view Germantown.

You just sound ignorant saying nothing has happened there. There weren't new homes being built and sold for $500,000 when I bought in Germantown 8 years ago. My house certainly wasn't worth $200,000 (which 3 on my block recently sold for). Gentrification is a very real concern for many here, as it should be. Some people in Philly can be so provincial---it's a 15 Minute drive or train ride from Queen Lane to Center City. Where are you getting 1 hr +? Some parts of "the city" are less accesssible due to congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or