Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:38 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
Really? It's a 9 block distance between stores. That's very close and certainly very walkable, IMO, especially in Center City.
Its a full 1-mile walk, which is pushing it.

I was not predicting Arch Street near the Convention Center to be the next choice, but I don't think its a poor choice.

My complaint is how slow TJ has been expanding into the Philadelphia market. I think they finally got a wake-up call with the recent addition of new groceries in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 08:13 AM

2,555 posts, read 2,676,733 times
For some people, it's pushing it, for some, it's not.

There "needs" to be another Trader Joe's because the older one has been doing so well and sometimes gets overfilled with people. If I knew how to run a store and had the choice, I'd be happy to run the newer Trader Joe's in the location, lol.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:04 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
It's more like about 11 blocks.
-- 2121 market Street is closer to 22nd than 21st.
-- Some of the blocks are longer length than just the usual "one block."

Some people will walk that distance with groceries. I'd say most would not.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
It's more like about 11 blocks.
-- 2121 market Street is closer to 22nd than 21st.
-- Some of the blocks are longer length than just the usual "one block."

Some people will walk that distance with groceries. I'd say most would not.
Regardless, Center City can certainly support 2 Trader Joes, probably a third in Old City.

I do agree that South Philadelphia and Northern Liberties/Fishtown need their own as well.

The thing with Fishtown that makes me laugh is the selective picking of which national retailers are allowed in. Lululemon got a pass, but there is a whole debacle of the planned Starbucks on Frankford. I bet if Trader Joes announced a storefront on Frankford, people would applaud and throw a parade. Very silly.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:14 PM

I don't know what Starbucks debacle there was. But, La Colombe is headquartered in Philly, with a big cafe in Fishtown. So maybe? there's some influence there anti-Starbucks.

Lord knows, Comcast is headquartered here and the city has let that company hold residents hostage for DECADES!

Old 10-28-2019, 09:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
I don't know what Starbucks debacle there was. But, La Colombe is headquartered in Philly, with a big cafe in Fishtown. So maybe? there's some influence there anti-Starbucks.

Lord knows, Comcast is headquartered here and the city has let that company hold residents hostage for DECADES!
The Starbucks debacle(April, 2018)made national( maybe international) news. It concerned two black guys waiting for someone at the 18th and Spruce St store who were arrested because they supposedly didn't want to buy anything while they waited or they were refused restroom availability because they didn't buy anything. Someone captured their arrest on twitter, I think, and it went viral. It caused Starbuck corporate from Seattle to show up to do image damage control. I may have left something out that you can google.

Afaik, one of the original owners of LaColombe coffee roasters, etc is an alum from Starbucks.

How is the city being held hostage by Comcast? Oh, okay David Cohen is a big cheese at Comcast and was Rendell's chief of staff or something like that and is now another kind of big cheese with DNC.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Starbucks debacle(April, 2018)made national( maybe international) news. It concerned two black guys waiting for someone at the 18th and Spruce St store who were arrested because they supposedly didn't want to buy anything while they waited or they were refused restroom availability because they didn't buy anything. Someone captured their arrest on twitter, I think, and it went viral. It caused Starbuck corporate from Seattle to show up to do image damage control. I may have left something out that you can google.

Afaik, one of the original owners of LaColombe coffee roasters, etc is an alum from Starbucks.

How is the city being held hostage by Comcast? Oh, okay David Cohen is a big cheese at Comcast and was Rendell's chief of staff or something like that and is now another kind of big cheese with DNC.
I was more referring to the Fishtown neighborhood association claiming Starbucks takes away from the local character for Frankford Ave, Starbucks is not giving up though.

Whether you like Starbucks or not, I find the selective arguments infuriating. Fishtown neighbors would welcome Trader Joes or Whole Foods with open arms, but apparently Starbucks is shunned... Starbucks will win at the end of the day, not sure why certain Fishtown neighbors are putting up such a fight.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:51 AM

192 posts, read 160,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was more referring to the Fishtown neighborhood association claiming Starbucks takes away from the local character for Frankford Ave, Starbucks is not giving up though.

Whether you like Starbucks or not, I find the selective arguments infuriating. Fishtown neighbors would welcome Trader Joes or Whole Foods with open arms, but apparently Starbucks is shunned... Starbucks will win at the end of the day, not sure why certain Fishtown neighbors are putting up such a fight.
Yeah i dont know what legal ground FNA have to stand on aside from tight roping legal chicanery. Apparently Starbucks was denied by the ZBA pretty conclusively which lends me to believe La Colombe had some sway. Some sort of an "overlay" that allows the likes of La Colombe (a chain) and LuLuLemon (a chain) but not Starbucks? Come on.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:36 PM

I don't know how long you've lived in Philly. Maybe you are a native.
It was decades ago now, but for YEEEARS, it is my belief that Comcast fought other cable companies being allowed to come into Phila. I remember the cockamamy, IMO, plan that City council had -- that divided the city and kept some companies out of certain areas.

To this day, I believe that is why most of the city can't get FiOS.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:40 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
I don't know how long you've lived in Philly. Maybe you are a native.
It was decades ago now, but for YEEEARS, it is my belief that Comcast fought other cable companies being allowed to come into Phila. I remember the cockamamy, IMO, plan that City council had -- that divided the city and kept some companies out of certain areas.

To this day, I believe that is why most of the city can't get FiOS.
I remember when they came into town. They bought other cable entities. I was working in TV. I had conversations with techs from those other entities. The techs were repeatedly told not to worry, their jobs were guaranteed. I was aware of 2 who specifically asked questions and explained that they were on the verge of buying a house and they couldn't afford surprises. No problem. Then a week before the takeover. . .surprise! They were told that their salaries would be cut in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia