U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:09 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,709,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I’m partly guilty. Even re-reading the OP, it seems poorly articulated. That’s probably why I got involved once the convo move to more interesting terrain.

I’ll let others try to work through the OP.
Frankly, I think the original subject had run its course, and those of us commenting on it simply got distracted/went off on tangents.

Unless someone has something new to say in response to that original lament, we can probably let this thread die a natural death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,356,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Which begs me to wonder, why is there very little interest in Philly? For a city it's size, it doesn't seem to attract visitors.
Public perception. The people. Crime. And so on. Or just that there are so many cities in that area that people think of 1st & they don't have time to visit them all.

I know my brother liked living in NYC, but Philly has been nothing but headaches. Has even developed bouts of road rage since living there.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:47 AM

3,718 posts, read 1,790,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Public perception. The people. Crime. And so on. Or just that there are so many cities in that area that people think of 1st & they don't have time to visit them all.

I know my brother liked living in NYC, but Philly has been nothing but headaches. Has even developed bouts of road rage since living there.
I've experienced that road-rage. Tight rows with limited parking does not help. Everyone wants their parking spot.don't dare take it either as another aspect....

Old 11-06-2019, 12:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 7,676,722 times
Quote:

That's rather unusual. NYC is, without peer, the most headache-inducing city in the county.

I love a good trip to NYC like the next person, but the crush of humanity, commerce, and super-intense density is incredibly stressful to the average human being.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:18 PM

583 posts, read 275,503 times
Word.

To say that NYC is easier to live in than Philly is a head-scratcher for certain.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:41 PM

You all can use me as your punching bag and deflection. I merely agreed with the previous poster's brother living in Philly. Good this below poster wasn't lambasted for it ... he was left alone to target me for agreeing with his brothers claims. Clearly I relate to seeing examples and now rubbing off. Narrow alley-sized streets especially. Were not designed for cars that then have to park even partly on the sidewalks. No helping walkability either.
Quote:

I like this post in another thread titled - "Do you need to be a tourist to appreciate your own city"
Though most will probably agree. Including Philly area residents. But it ALSO cn give you a perspective in what other visitors see and encounter. Especially, outside of CC and UC. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Traveling and experiencing other places helps to put your own city in perspective. You might take a visitor's view of your own city as others might see it. My city is "blessed" with a huge annual (bucket list) event so we have thousands of visitors in town for about two weeks. We are used to seeing people wandering around lost or going the wrong way for a few weeks. Everything is geared toward that event but there are many assets that residents may, or may not, take advantage of. People live in a bubble and could benefit from breaking out to better appreciate what they have.
This bold portion. Can lead to seeing good and bad a visitor sees and THEY SEE EVERYTHING and details. If parking if driving creates a verbal bout? That lessens their good perspective. True FOR ANY CITY.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-06-2019 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-06-2019, 01:19 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:

Unfortunately Philadelphia is not the best for driving. Glad I don't do it anymore.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:09 PM

26 posts, read 6,043 times
Philly was designed for pedestrians, followed by horse-drawn carriages, followed by trolleys. It was not designed for the automobile – and that’s not a bad thing.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
Philly was designed for pedestrians, followed by horse-drawn carriages, followed by trolleys. It was not designed for the automobile – and that’s not a bad thing.
^^^^ Philly and other Legacy cities. But tight rows so common as Philly has, with no additional parking even in back like alleys with something to utilize even if taking up a yard works or garage.

It isn't great if everyone still has or needs a car. So aspects can be worst then some other cities. Add parking only on one side of the street too. Certainly worse.

Great if more parts could evolve to having more alley-sized streets car-free. Especially near the better mass-transit options. Walkability improves and ambiance.

But mostly dreaming it seems. Cars still rule far too much for such a tightly attached city in most of it. Then boasting rights in walkability to me decline with cars as obstacles themselves. Wider sidewalks blocks help in walking space. I'd still like more green and shade though too.

Why sometimes a great option of urban form. Can't do choices that European cities can more and more. Close more streets to traffic. Having transit options so great. Even NYC in many areas few own cars.

*** Most locals dislike this thread as it is seen as a thread that uncomplimentary post are no help or accepted. I agree it dying or closed is best.....

Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM

4,243 posts, read 2,150,165 times
and please describe what you consider to be lower class people???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
imo, and most people I know, think Philadelphia offers a lot in terms of what people look for in a big city. Music scene, restaurants, museums, etc. there is abundance. Philly does get a lot of visitors. Certainly isn’t near the top but plenty of weekends you can’t book a hotel room. I find often lower class people hold a negative opinion towards the city due to their inability to appreciate the aforementioned cultural offerings.

1ondoner, you made the thread, so what are the things you feel that are missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or