Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 02:02 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,851 times

Advertisements

I think most of the OP's original premise is garbage. I was recently back in town with some NYC friends for OutFest, and they loved the city. It's obviously no New York, but that doesn't diminish it's status as a great city. They loved the charm and relative affordability.

What Philly truly lacks is pop culture and media presence. It doesn't have many movies or tv shows set there, it doesn't have many celebrities or high profile people living there, and it isn't glamorized and sexed up the way New York, LA, or Miami is. It also, somewhat unfairly, still has a bit of a lingering reputation for being run down and still post-industrial. That is luckily changing though.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:18 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,452,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I think most of the OP's original premise is garbage. I was recently back in town with some NYC friends for OutFest, and they loved the city. It's obviously no New York, but that doesn't diminish its status as a great city. They loved the charm and relative affordability.

What Philly truly lacks is pop culture and media presence. It doesn't have many movies or tv shows set there, it doesn't have many celebrities or high profile people living there, and it isn't glamorized and sexed up the way New York, LA, or Miami is. It also, somewhat unfairly, still has a bit of a lingering reputation for being run down and still post-industrial. That is luckily changing though.
^^ yes.

Also, after being a resident of Philly for 11+ years and reading CD posts for quite a while, I have to say: damn! I'm tired of people comparing us to ... pretty much anywhere. NYC is unique within North America. DC has attributes that logically (constitutionally!) can happen in DC. LA, Miami, Chicago, et al. all have locational and industrial/economic features that make them unique. Great! Good for them! Every city is the result of locational advantage, economy, history, its immigrant population, etc. Comparisons are provocative and therefore kind of fun. But really, just let NYC be NYC, Philly be Philly, etc. Celebrate each city's strengths, acknowledge their weaknesses, and don't conflate differences with deficiencies.

And NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER call Philly "New York's 6th Borough!"

Old 10-25-2019, 03:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,527,681 times
Let me start by saying that I like Philly (read Philly area) much more than I thought I would when I first moved here and I have no plans to leave soon though this can change in the future. So with that, I hope it's clear that I have a disdain for Philly.

I think most of the people are missing my point, while it is true that the tourism numbers are on an upward trajectory, so is the case in every other big city. There is nothing unique about this. Travel and hospitality is growing worldwide.

What is in question is where Philly ranks compared to other cities. I think the same could be said of Phoenix, Dallas and Houston. Personally, I'm would not book a flight and hotel to tour these cities because they are just office blocks and residential areas. However, I don't think the same could be said of Philly.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:43 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,539,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Let me start by saying that I like Philly (read Philly area) much more than I thought I would when I first moved here and I have no plans to leave soon though this can change in the future. So with that, I hope it's clear that I have a disdain for Philly.

I think most of the people are missing my point, while it is true that the tourism numbers are on an upward trajectory, so is the case in every other big city. There is nothing unique about this. Travel and hospitality is growing worldwide.

What is in question is where Philly ranks compared to other cities. I think the same could be said of Phoenix, Dallas and Houston. Personally, I'm would not book a flight and hotel to tour these cities because they are just office blocks and residential areas. However, I don't think the same could be said of Philly.

But that IMO has absolutely nothing to do with your title??

Philly most of the time is compared to NYC due to its location, now unfortunately it will unfairly be considered lacking due to this comparison.

That in no way means Philadelphia is "failing" as a big city. It's NEVER going to be DC or NY C and I would question the intelligence of some one visiting here expecting it to be like that.

Now you've admitted to having disdain for Philly so it's highly unlikely that you are going to objectively evaluate the cities desirability as a travel destination.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:02 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

This place is unique because the country was born here. You, indirectly, became a citizen because of what happened here which was important enough that you abandoned your UK citizenship( you're not a dual citizen, right?). Frankly if you don't understand, historically, or others don't understand how Philadelphia ranks compared to at least other American cities there's nothing much else to say about this topic.

History buffs do make a point of coming here, btw. Patriotic Americans do make a point of trying to come here as well.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:24 PM

I became a citizen long before I moved to Philly. Philadelphia's place in the history of the founding of America is not in question. This is about others coming to visit Philly for tourism purposes and it's attractiveness to those outside the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
This place is unique because the country was born here. You, indirectly, became a citizen because of what happened here which was important enough that you abandoned your UK citizenship( you're not a dual citizen, right?). Frankly if you don't understand, historically, or others don't understand how Philadelphia ranks compared to at least other American cities there's nothing much else to say about this topic.

History buffs do make a point of coming here, btw. Patriotic Americans do make a point of trying to come here as well.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:26 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I think most of the OP's original premise is garbage. I was recently back in town with some NYC friends for OutFest, and they loved the city. It's obviously no New York, but that doesn't diminish it's status as a great city. They loved the charm and relative affordability.

You know this of course. It's much more important for Philadelphia to continue to attract, as best it can, scholars, scientists, researchers, medical personel and essential STEM people. I enjoy pop culture sometimes but it fleeting.

It is starting to fascinate me that LA can still maintain a glamous alure when parts of it are on fire. That's only going to get worse, I'm afraid.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:27 PM

That was a typo. I meant to say, I have NO disdain for Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Now you've admitted to having disdain for Philly so it's highly unlikely that you are going to objectively evaluate the cities desirability as a travel destination.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:34 PM

409 posts, read 364,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Having an international media giant based here is dynamite. That's something we could not say 15-20 years ago.
Nobody, and I mean nobody, is saying “Philadelphia? Isn’t that where Comcast is headquartered? I definitely need to visit it now!” If anything, the average non-Philadelphian has a negative opinion of Comcast.

Regardless of who owns NBC, tourists will still go to Rockefeller Center to visit it.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,202,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Nobody, and I mean nobody, is saying “Philadelphia? Isn’t that where Comcast is headquartered? I definitely need to visit it now!” If anything, the average non-Philadelphian has a negative opinion of Comcast.

Regardless of who owns NBC, tourists will still go to Rockefeller Center to visit it.
But WHAT has Comcast buying NBC Universal and NBC broadcasting, the Universal Film Studio in Hollywood and theme Parks. Rockefeller Center or 30-Rock. Is still NBC's broadcast headquarters.

Yes Philly got TWO very nice Skyscrapers from Comcast and maybe more yet? Chicago sill has its 30+story NBC Center and the Lighted Peacock symbol on top and entrances visible. Building is brightly Lit but the NBC sign on to not always lit.

I'm not sure how much of the building built in like 1983 patterned off of Rockefeller Center in Chicago... Comcast NBC owns? Or merely part? Or all? Apparently if not all? It holds naming rights. The Chicago TV shows filmed there use it? Studio's for talk shows that were syndicated to many stations. Not sure who is left. Many over the years though.

- But does the Comcast Center/Tower PHILLY .... have the NBC Peacock plastered on the building?
- Does it serve for any NBC filming, TV, syndicated talk shows, studios in it? If NOT WHY?
- is it mainly offices that are in its other ownership interest over NBC Universal?

*** Seems to boast then Comcast ...... is as if NBC isn't part of it as far as Philly is concerned, or what Philly gets out of it?

** WHY DID NOT THE NEW COMCAST TOWER .... GET A COMCAST/NBC AND PEACOCK SYMBOL?

* WHY isn't Comcast bringing new NBC shows TO HILLY and FILMED IN PHILLY????

NBC Center Chicago looks older and Art Deco....
and still has the NBC symbols top and bottom sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Philly has failed to live up to its expectation as a big city-nbctower-chicago...jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia