Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 10:40 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,839,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

When you became a citizen it means you agreed with the principles and policies written in our Constitution. You took an oath that swore you to that document. As I understand it it's a solemn occasion. So you bound yourself to the place that document was created whether you see it that way or not.
This is a little much. I do a lot of reading, and when I finish a book I enjoy/appreciate, I don't (necessarily) hold the place in which it was written in higher esteem. One can have respect or even reverence for a document and not care at all about the (long-past, in this case) setting in which it was written--it's the ideals that matter, and their applicability to contexts outside the context in which the writing occurred. It'd be one thing if all the framers of the Constitution hailed from Philadelphia, but they of course didn't.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:03 AM

558 posts, read 296,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This, times 1,000%.

DC is certainly a beautiful city, chock full of museums, monuments, and a good amount of nightlife. But beneath the surface it's very culturally banal, with a suffocatingly workaholic, disgustingly egocentric and mundane bureaucratic culture that was honestly sickening to my soul after living in the area collectively for 5 years--no thanks. Much happier in the Boston area now, which I've found to have many Philly parallels.

Philly is as authentic and real as cities come. And it actually doesn't try to actively push out its poor as a revitalization strategy, unlike most other major cities.

If that's what it takes to become more "palatable" to white bread suburban tourists, who, frankly, are just uncomfortable with seeing people who are down on their luck or don't want to challenge their sense of middle-class complacency--I don't think the city gains anything by selling itself out and compromising its morals.

I'll also add that you'd have to be complete fool to not understand what Philly has to offer as a major city. There's no excuse in the Internet age; just comes down to intellectual laziness.
Exactly. You said it much better than I did.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:55 AM

13,999 posts, read 8,867,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Honestly, Philadelphians rather comity suicide then look to NYC to emulate aspects of ..... is waaaay overboard. Maybe if it was Chicago, or Kansas City.
I made sure I looked things up. But in reading this forum for some time. The ONLY CITY Philadelphians accept any comparisons to ..... is mighty NYC. Boston only for aspects of early American history..... and for DC it's a fagetaboutit.
I didn't get too many verbal brickbats thrown my way when I wrote this.

Maybe I exaggerate, but it seems to me that most of the time, when Philadelphians compare their city to New York, it's to highlight the differences rather than the similarities. And that annoyance over "the sixth borough" is real.

Quote:
You excluded my points on why Comcast doesn't bring TV filmed shows to Philly? Movies it has influence in, and highlight the NBC classic Peacock symbol?????

If you feel it isn't necessary for Comcast to do for Philly more? Besides skyscrapers and employment in its offices. Fine. I do have the internet to search what Comcast bought and owns ......
Employment ain't beanbag.

But if you're talking about media glitz, I doubt that will change. Syndicated TV talk shows have changed since the days "The Mike Douglas Show" emanated from the studios of (then) NBC-owned WRCV on Walnut Street here, and from what I can tell, the only syndicated talker to achieve wide success from somewhere other than New York or LA since that show was...are you ready for it?...Oprah Winfrey's show out of Chicago.

There probably will be another scripted dramatic TV series set here to join "Cold Case," "Hack" and "thirtysomething" from years past. (All of them, even the ones not shot here initially, eventually shot here.) In the meantime, there's always "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on cable. I just don't know when it will emerge.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:38 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,211,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I didn't get too many verbal brickbats thrown my way when I wrote this.

Maybe I exaggerate, but it seems to me that most of the time, when Philadelphians compare their city to New York, it's to highlight the differences rather than the similarities. And that annoyance over "the sixth borough" is real.

Employment ain't beanbag.

But if you're talking about media glitz, I doubt that will change. Syndicated TV talk shows have changed since the days "The Mike Douglas Show" emanated from the studios of (then) NBC-owned WRCV on Walnut Street here, and from what I can tell, the only syndicated talker to achieve wide success from somewhere other than New York or LA since that show was...are you ready for it?...Oprah Winfrey's show out of Chicago.

There probably will be another scripted dramatic TV series set here to join "Cold Case," "Hack" and "thirtysomething" from years past. (All of them, even the ones not shot here initially, eventually shot here.) In the meantime, there's always "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on cable. I just don't know when it will emerge.
I certainly understand that a 6th Borough would be fighting words and hated. But many threads highlighted Philadelphia's desire for a more and more NYC vibrancy, vibe even, professional relocations from etc. Other cities virtually none. Then its fully Philly is its own city and others it has no interest of ideas from ...... but again. Unless they are Mighty NYC.

Of course, you know the man on the streets thinking on that vs C-D or a outsider.

As others note. Philadelphia IS its OWN city, a REAL one and style of its own and at the end of the day ...... chooses, designs, evolves by its OWN people of talent. Yet ONLY NYC gets any attention for ideas.

You probably know the kind of responses I got in the past. Whether on Piers, Broad St or Parks and trees. I should have saved some most heated - how dare you ones-.

You have full respect here ..... as you should. Best responder in writing skills and details. NO ONE .... NOR I . says Philly won't continue getting better as a vibrant Big US Legacy city full of history.

Oprah originally started in the NBC affiliate station WMAQ. But never was in the NBC Center there. But past syndicated shows were like - Phill Donohue, Jerry Springer, Jenny Jones (whose show we were in to see recording at the studio in the NBC Chicago building, others I can't think of. Newer former ones like the Steve Harvey show .... all I can think of now. Of course the 3-NBC Wednesday trio of shows. But they have warehouse studios mostly.

I remember Mike Douglas show. Glad his episodes were saved. Merv Griffins .... were all destroyed. But they go back decades.

***** Comcast is the beast now to BRING MORE TO PHILLY. TV, Movies ect and a NBC STUDIO. Why not syndicated shows out of Philly there too again. Its time no ........

Last edited by DavePa; 10-27-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-27-2019, 01:17 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,481,998 times
Quote:
I certainly understand that a 6th Borough would be fighting words and hated. But many threads highlighted Philadelphia's desire for a more and more NYC vibrancy, vibe even, professional relocations from etc. Other cities virtually none. Then its fully Philly is its own city and others it has no interest of ideas from ...... but again. Unless they are Mighty NYC.

Of course, you know the man on the streets thinking on that vs C-D or a outsider.

As others note. Philadelphia IS its OWN city, a REAL one and style of its own and at the end of the day ...... chooses, designs, evolves by its OWN people of talent. Yet ONLY NYC gets any attention for ideas.

You probably know the kind of responses I got in the past. Whether on Piers, Broad St or Parks and trees. I should have saved some most heated - how dare you ones-.

You have full respect here ..... as you should. Best responder in writing skills and details. NO ONE .... NOR I . says Philly won't continue getting better as a vibrant Big US Legacy city full of history.

I don't believe Oprah used NBC? But pad syndicated shows did like - Jerry Springer, Jenny Jones (whose show we were in the studio in the NBC Chicago building, others I can't think of. Newer former ones like the Steve Harvey show .... all I can think of now. Of course the 3-NBC Wednesday trio of shows. But they have warehouse studios mostly.

I remember Mike Douglas show. Glad his episodes were saved. Merv Griffins .... were all destroyed. But they go back decades.

Comcast is the beast now to BRING MORE TO PHILLY. TV, Movies ect and a NBC STUDIO. Why not syndicated shows out of Philly there too again.
I don't know where you get some of this stuff. I've seen episodes of Merve on one of the nostalgia channels. However, it was made in NYC, so has nothing to do with this thread. The Mike Douglas Show came from 6th and Market, after it was moved from Cleveland when Westinghouse and NBC switched stations.

I never, ever ran into any local in Philadelphia, South Jersey, or northern Delaware, who pined for anything involving NYC. Not once in real life.

Dave, you keep complaining about responses that you've gotten to your posts. Do you ever proofread them? Most of the complaints are concerning difficulty in reading them.

You are allowed your opinion. Everyone is allowed their opinion.

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-27-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-27-2019, 03:30 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,211,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't know where you get some of this stuff. I've seen episodes of Merve on one of the nostalgia channels. However, it was made in NYC, so has nothing to do with this thread. The Mike Douglas Show came from 6th and Market, after it was moved from Cleveland when Westinghouse and NBC switched stations.

I never, ever ran into any local in Philadelphia, South Jersey, or northern Delaware, who pined for anything involving NYC. Not once in real life.

Dave, you keep complaining about responses that you've gotten to your posts. Do you ever proofread them? Most of the complaints are concerning difficulty in reading them.

You are allowed your opinion. Everyone is allowed their opinion.
And got them hard to read responsed.... but respectful - marketStEL ..... the best writer here. Surely knows all my grammar errors and sentence structuring ..... for sure.

So I guess Comcast's two big pretty towers for the Philly skyline ..... being owner of NBC Universal as HUGE. Need NOT BRING MORE TV and Film to Philly, have studio's there perhaps to create some more even syndicated shows. .....

That as a MAIN point I made.... AS MY OPINION. Guess it s only mine?

I mentioned Merv's shows "ONLY" to say Mike Douglas shows were saved. Merv's I mistakenly said ALL were lost. But way more then half were lost.

From link:

Merv Griffin Show Clip Licensing | The Merv Griffin Show

From link:
- From 1962 to 1986, there were over 5,000 episodes of The Merv Griffin Show produced. It was common practice in the industry that, after the initial broadcast, the network (or syndication company) would erase the tapes so that they could be reused for new programming.
- This was done as a cost-saving measure as tapes were very expensive.
- It was hard at the time to envision that a daily talk show such as The Merv Griffin Show would ever be aired again and so, sadly, many of the shows were not saved.
- 600 plus episodes from 1969-1975 that exist also are audio format only.

Over 2000 episodes from the program, encompassing over 2,500 hours of footage, still exist in their original videotape format, so the visual quality is exception

* But well over half were erased. 3000 out of 5000.

I will also add that NBC/Comcast does not own the whole of the 37-story NBC Chicago Center. I can not find the number of floors it occupies. Also Judge Mathis currently records in the former Steve Harvey studio there and Chicago's local NBC affiliate station.

But Comcast CAN ADD ANYTHING to its Philly buildings.

While we discussed Wegmans in the past. I'm sure you know the Raleigh store recently opened. But they did change seeking a North Carolina location for a new distribution center ..... for one now in Virginia. Perhaps a better tax incentive offered?

Last edited by DavePa; 10-27-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-27-2019, 09:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,532,459 times
OK everybody, please take a deep breadth and calm down.

I just conveyed a discussion I had with my colleague but it is also something that I have noticed with some posters relocating from the North East-Mid Atlantic region but have NEVER been to Philly.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
And got them hard to read responsed.... but respectful - marketStEL ..... the best writer here. Surely knows all my grammar errors and sentence structuring ..... for sure.

So I guess Comcast's two big pretty towers for the Philly skyline ..... being owner of NBC Universal as HUGE. Need NOT BRING MORE TV and Film to Philly, have studio's there perhaps to create some more even syndicated shows. .....

I mentioned Merv's shows "ONLY" to say Mike Douglas shows were saved. Merv's I mistakenly said ALL were lost. But way more then half were lost.

From link:

Merv Griffin Show Clip Licensing | The Merv Griffin Show

From link:
- From 1962 to 1986, there were over 5,000 episodes of The Merv Griffin Show produced. It was common practice in the industry that, after the initial broadcast, the network (or syndication company) would erase the tapes so that they could be reused for new programming.
- This was done as a cost-saving measure as tapes were very expensive.
- It was hard at the time to envision that a daily talk show such as The Merv Griffin Show would ever be aired again and so, sadly, many of the shows were not saved.
- 600 plus episodes from 1969-1975 that exist also are audio format only.

Over 2000 episodes from the program, encompassing over 2,500 hours of footage, still exist in their original videotape format, so the visual quality is exception

* But well over half were erased. 3000 out of 5000.

I will also add that NBC/Comcast does not own the whole of the 37-story NBC Chicago Center. I can not find the number of floors it occupies. Also Judge Mathis currently records in the former Steve Harvey studio there and Chicago's local NBC affiliate station.

But Comcast CAN ADD ANYTHING to its Philly buildings.

While we discussed Wegmans in the past. I'm sure you know the Raleigh store recently opened. But they did change seeking a North Carolina location for a new distribution center ..... for one now in Virginia. Perhaps a better tax incentive offered?
Bring up Wegmans on the grocery thread. It's way off topic for here.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
OK everybody, please take a deep breadth and calm down.

I just conveyed a discussion I had with my colleague but it is also something that I have noticed with some posters relocating from the North East-Mid Atlantic region but have NEVER been to Philly.
MarketStEl has mentioned a book that compares Boston and Philadelphia. The Puritans had absolutely no problem driving out non-Puritans. William Penn welcomed everyone. Colonial Philadelphia was the original melting pot. Germanic settlers poured in with enough numbers that Ben Franklin wondered if the colony would become "German" speaking. There were Catholics and Jews. The Caribbean trade was such that the New Years food was pepperpot soup. The English custom of mumming was blended with the Germanic custom of shooting - the basis of the Mummers Parade. Swedes and Finns who had come to New Sweden were blended into the whole shebang.

There are buildings in Old City that were designed by prominent London architects.

Maybe to some Europeans there's nothing to see. But Philadelphia is unique in the US.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:32 AM

13,999 posts, read 8,867,774 times
Quote:
Sometimes one needs a translator to understand you; at others, a Sherpa guide. But I can usually figure out what you're trying to say. This, for instance:

Quote:

It appears to be, but I can't say it's a bad idea.

The logic seems sound to me: With its acquisition of NBCUniversal from GE, Comcast changed from being primarily a transmitter of entertainment and information content to being a creator and distributor of it. Given how deeply invested the company is in its longtime hometown, one would think it would invest some money in producing content for beyond-local consumption there too.

Quote:
I missed that news, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia