U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 05:39 AM

5,550 posts, read 2,709,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
MarketStEl has mentioned a book that compares Boston and Philadelphia. The Puritans had absolutely no problem driving out non-Puritans. William Penn welcomed everyone. Colonial Philadelphia was the original melting pot. Germanic settlers poured in with enough numbers that Ben Franklin wondered if the colony would become "German" speaking. There were Catholics and Jews. The Caribbean trade was such that the New Years food was pepperpot soup. The English custom of mumming was blended with the Germanic custom of shooting - the basis of the Mummers Parade. Swedes and Finns who had come to New Sweden were blended into the whole shebang.

There are buildings in Old City that were designed by prominent London architects.

Maybe to some Europeans there's nothing to see. But Philadelphia is unique in the US.
Amen, sister.

Relevant to the part I boldfaced, and I've mentioned this elsewhere before:

You will find a statue honoring the same woman near one of the main entrances to the Massachusetts State House in Boston and at the corner entrance to the Friends Center/Philadelphia Yearly Meeting in Philadelphia. (The Philadelphia statue is a replica of the Boston original.)

That woman's name is Mary Dyer.

The colonial authorities in the Massachusetts Bay Colony hanged Dyer for her adherence to the Quaker faith.

In Massachusetts, her presence by the State House door serves as an admonishment against religious intolerance. In Philadelphia, it's a testament to the power of belief and the importance of freedom of conscience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 07:48 AM

3,715 posts, read 1,790,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I was talking to a colleague who relocated from Europe to the Philly area after his spouse first got a job in Maryland and he followed her across the pond. They have each rented an apartment close to their places of work such that every Thursday he drives down to Maryland and then drives back to PA on Sunday evening.

Rarely do they get to spend the weekend in PA as according to him "there is more to do in DC". I asked him how many times he's been to Center City to which he replied only once and it was that he needed to do something in the city.

I find his experience very similar that of many people in the US and it is not uncommon for relocating NJ residents to post that they've never been to Philly. Prior to moving here the closest I'd been to Philly was Gettysburg while I had been to DC 3 times for vacation and once for work.

Which begs me to wonder, why is there very little interest in Philly? For a city it's size, it doesn't seem to attract visitors.
Basically they are denying what you claim of others, see it as your view possibly? Basically denying its true.

So as to get the topic OFF ME AND POINT. Comcast NBC as a Big fish doing more for Philly in the entertainment field. Was my main point AND IGNORED.

BUT YOUR ORIGINAL POST ALL SHOULD GET BACK TO ABOVE. Not mine and writing skills.
CONCIDER IT BEING FROM "pennsyltucky"

*** So as you titled it.:

"Philly has failed to live up to its expectation as a Big city". '

Now thread can get back on target.

Last edited by DavePa; 10-28-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 AM

172 posts, read 104,877 times
This dude is just a Philly flame troller from the Suburbs, move along. Stop responding and let this thread die.

Should I start a thread EVERY time one of my friends visits and LOVES Philly?

Old 10-28-2019, 09:15 AM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
My experiences are different.

I have been in Manhattan for a while and know several people and couples that relocated to Philadelphia and absolutely love it.
I also have a lot of New York friends taking weekend trips for Philadelphia for a fun escape from New York.

Philadelphia is a much larger city than DC and there are still a lot of puzzle pieces falling into place in and around Center City, but I find the improvements to be fairly drastic citywide since the late 90s/early 00s. The new 4 Seasons for example is truely a world renowned example of where Philadelphia is at in 2019.

And I think you are generalizing a bit... I am a Philadelphia/New York who has no desire to go to DC, so theres that too.
Note that he didn't answer my questions about whether he spends any significant time in the city.

Everything about the Comcast TC is world class.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

1. Comcast's (also Comcast NBCUniversal) corporate logo incorporates the Peacock now. But no, other than the pillar outside the main Comcast Technology Center entrance on 18th Street, there are no visible logos of any kind on either Comcast tower.

2. AFAIK, no network-wide syndicated shows originate in Philadelphia now, though some did in the past, but when the new second Comcast tower (the Comcast Technology Center) opened, the NBC O&O TV station here, NBC10 (WCAU), moved its studios into the building, as did the (NBC-owned) Telemundo Spanish-language station, Telemundo 62 (WWSI). I was informed on a tour of the studios with the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists that NBC10 Philadelphia is the first all-IP-based TV station in the country (IOW, all signals within the station, to and from its transmitter, and between remote news vehicles and the station are transmitted via IP rather than satellite or microwave).

3. Comcast owns NBCUniversal lock, stock and barrel. The network remains headquartered at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York, however. With the exception of the Four Seasons Hotel on the Comcast Technology Center's top nine floors (and an absolutely spectacular restaurant on the hotel's - and the building's - top floor), both Comcast towers are fully occupied by Comcast offices and staff. Rumors occasionally circulate that the company is planning a third downtown office tower.

The NBC Peacock logo is inside the Comcast TC. It's on the northern wall behind the Vernick Coffee bar area.
Comcast also owns the Brit Sky News.

Brian Roberts, I think, is being coy about there being no plans for a 3rd office tower. I thought they already had dibs on the land at 19th and Arch.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This is a little much. I do a lot of reading, and when I finish a book I enjoy/appreciate, I don't (necessarily) hold the place in which it was written in higher esteem. One can have respect or even reverence for a document and not care at all about the (long-past, in this case) setting in which it was written--it's the ideals that matter, and their applicability to contexts outside the context in which the writing occurred. It'd be one thing if all the framers of the Constitution hailed from Philadelphia, but they of course didn't.
New citizens take an oath wrt the Constitution similar to what people who join the military and other fed positions do.
So either they're lying when they answer in the affirmative or they actually believe in that oath. And since they have to learn a fair amount about the country ahead of time it seems logical to me that they might connect what they learned to the place some of the more important things about the country happened.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:51 AM

3,019 posts, read 1,514,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Honestly, Philadelphians rather comity suicide then look to NYC to emulate aspects of ..... is waaaay overboard. Maybe if it was Chicago, or Kansas City.
I made sure I looked things up. But in reading this forum for some time. The ONLY CITY Philadelphians accept any comparisons to ..... is mighty NYC. Boston only for aspects of early American history..... and for DC it's a fagetaboutit.

You excluded my points on why Comcast doesn't bring TV filmed shows to Philly? Movies it has influence in, and highlight the NBC classic Peacock symbol?????

If you feel it isn't necessary for Comcast to do for Philly more? Besides skyscrapers and employment in its offices. Fine. I do have the internet to search what Comcast bought and owns ......
uhm why should it?? what movies do comcast have influence in? serious question I have a sibling that works for mirmax, I can't speak to the tv business but the movie business not sure how much control they have over where the filming takes place. I know they own focus films which is a film distributor but I would think the director and producers have more of a say then the distributor.

Do more?? wth? comcast employees a crap load of people at very good paying jobs and supports new tech companies in developing. Those people live and spend money in the city. What they heck are they supposed to do?? be the messiah and make everyone walk on water??

Lastly you do know most cities have entire departments to lure film business to their city, not companies.

Philadelphia has the GPFO (greater philly film office)

Old 10-28-2019, 01:03 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,222,216 times
I don't understand how Philadelphia is "in the shadow" of D.C. (never been to either).

What would D.C. be if it weren't the capital?

Old 10-28-2019, 02:00 PM

5,550 posts, read 2,709,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't understand how Philadelphia is "in the shadow" of D.C. (never been to either).

What would D.C. be if it weren't the capital?
Philly sits more in the shadow of New York than it does in the shadow of DC.

And if DC weren't the capital, it would be what Georgetown was at the time the national capital started to develop, namely, a sleepy port town on the Potomac.

And quite likely we'd be talking about self-important, insufferable, egotistical Official Philadelphians. Edited to add: The difference being that they'd be diluted in an actual city that exists independent of them.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 10-28-2019 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 02:10 PM

364 posts, read 135,575 times
Default Philly has failed to live up to its expectation as a big city???

What is a city in the end? What city can touch the urban fabric shown below? NYC obviously, San Fran, maybe Chicago, and maybe Boston but that's it. So while Philadelphia may be rough around the edges, it's one of the most impressively built large cities in the US regardless if some random person from Europe had a poopy time here.

(credit: https://www.instagram.com/photolope/?hl=en)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or