U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 PM

1,187 posts, read 753,650 times

Advertisements

I come to the city almost every other week for just about anything including volunteering. I've been to all sorts of events and attractions, including running and cycling at Fairmont park. I've brought out of town visitors countless of tims into the city. The only thing I avoid in the city is public transport. I've never used the train or the buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Note that he didn't answer my questions about whether he spends any significant time in the city.

Everything about the Comcast TC is world class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 09:49 PM

5,543 posts, read 2,707,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I come to the city almost every other week for just about anything including volunteering. I've been to all sorts of events and attractions, including running and cycling at Fairmont park. I've brought out of town visitors countless of tims into the city. The only thing I avoid in the city is public transport. I've never used the train or the buses.
Quick question: did you use the Tube and the buses in London?

Old 10-28-2019, 10:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 1,788,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
uhm why should it?? what movies do comcast have influence in? serious question I have a sibling that works for mirmax, I can't speak to the tv business but the movie business not sure how much control they have over where the filming takes place. I know they own focus films which is a film distributor but I would think the director and producers have more of a say then the distributor.

Do more?? wth? comcast employees a crap load of people at very good paying jobs and supports new tech companies in developing. Those people live and spend money in the city. What they heck are they supposed to do?? be the messiah and make everyone walk on water??

Lastly you do know most cities have entire departments to lure film business to their city, not companies.

Philadelphia has the GPFO (greater philly film office)
No one is putting down Comcast (unless they do as their cable company). It clearly is a top CC employer offering high-end jobs. No one said otherwise.

I merely say.... NBC Universal is a HUGE portion of Comcast now. Why do Philadelphians feel more cannot be done with the owner of a key American TV network NBC and Universal for the entertainment industry for Philly?

Does it bash Philly to say that? Demean it? Seems that way. Most want to go at me for totally other reasons then my main point on Comcast and NBC.

NBC brought 3+ TV network dramas to Chicago and totally film them there. Yet Philly with Comcast his the basically. Why not mere Philly based TV shows by Comcast thru its NBC ownership?

What is so awful and as if bashing Philly about that? The NBC Network is more about Television over the film industry. That's Universal. All would need to work with the city to to gain permits to film and street closures too etc.

All this personal stuff thrown my way and I assume one who called me a Suburbanite and troll to. Maybe it was for someone else? But right after my post said?
I guess when I said I'm in Pennsyltucky .... it meant the suburbs of Philly. In the Appalachian area of PA......

Old 10-29-2019, 07:20 AM

1,187 posts, read 753,650 times
When I go into central London (zone 1) I use the tube but mainly because there is a huge shortage of parking plus the Tube is extensive. I haven't used the buses in central London as I don't mind walking in the city but again.

For zone 2 and 3, I drive everywhere but it's a pain to find paid parking. The city goes into great extent to make sure there is NO paid parking options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Quick question: did you use the Tube and the buses in London?

Old 10-29-2019, 11:31 AM

40 posts, read 9,520 times
this conversation confuses me. From everything I read and see, Philly is doing just fine.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 PM

5,913 posts, read 5,330,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
What is a city in the end? What city can touch the urban fabric shown below? NYC obviously, San Fran, maybe Chicago, and maybe Boston but that's it. So while Philadelphia may be rough around the edges, it's one of the most impressively built large cities in the US regardless if some random person from Europe had a poopy time here.

(credit: https://www.instagram.com/photolope/?hl=en)
I have been stuck in Dallas for 2 weeks (work related), and times like these always remind me how truly wonderful cities like Philadelphia (and New York) are.

Dallas is a rather depressing mess of highways, strip malls and tightly packed mcmansions. There are a few sections of downtown and some other areas that are pleasant, but the area is overwhelmingly bland.

I may be a Northeastern snob (), but Philadelphia is truly one of the America's greatest cities, although it still has a lot of work to do from a political and business standpoint.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:20 PM

9,931 posts, read 5,627,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I have been stuck in Dallas for 2 weeks (work related), and times like these always remind me how truly wonderful cities like Philadelphia (and New York) are.

Dallas is a rather depressing mess of highways, strip malls and tightly packed mcmansions. There are a few sections of downtown and some other areas that are pleasant, but the area is overwhelmingly bland.

I may be a Northeastern snob (), but Philadelphia is truly one of the America's greatest cities, although it still has a lot of work to do from a political and business standpoint.
People mistakenly think that George Miflin Dallas( prior mayor of Philadelphia and prior VP of the US) is who the City of Dallas is named for but it's someone else with the surname "Dallas".

I don't think it's snobbery to view Philadelphia (or New York obviously) as truly great cities because they simply are.

I literally don't get, except for Miami, the attraction of most sunbelt cities.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:38 PM

353 posts, read 142,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Dallas is a rather depressing mess of highways, strip malls and tightly packed mcmansions. There are a few sections of downtown and some other areas that are pleasant, but the area is overwhelmingly bland
I used to travel to Houston for work... a lot. The thing that stuck out to me was how few supermarkets there were, but a Chili's-type restaurant everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I literally don't get, except for Miami, the attraction of most sunbelt cities.
It's the low cost of living. If you make $100k in Philadelphia, you can get an average house in the suburbs where you have to pinch your pennies to make ends meet, but $100k/yr in Texas can get you a McMansion with a pool and you can afford to eat out multiple times a week. If you like pools and chain restaurants, a city like Houston is heaven.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:49 PM

6,928 posts, read 7,998,987 times
Lol. The op should go to the sunbelt cities if he thinks Philly isn’t living up to its potential as a big city (a concept he hasn’t been able to clearly articulate, btw).

Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 1,788,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Lol. The op should go to the sunbelt cities if he thinks Philly isn’t living up to its potential as a big city (a concept he hasn’t been able to clearly articulate, btw).
Despite on your ignore. No one needs to laugh at others preference of a Suburbs lifestyle and areas of getting a larger house for the price. Though property taxes may no longer be cheap ..... property cost still can remain cheaper in Suburban Sunbelt cites.

I do not think anyone should mock someone's choice. I could be happy in suburbia or a smaller urban city..... but a large urban city core. I could not afford.

High-earning professionals working or retired surely afford Center City Philly. But not a $100.000 home and probably not even a condo. Then one might consider a higher crime risk .... part if a deal-breaker too?

Why mock the OP anyway? The usual vendetta if one doesn't exalt Philly love in a created thread and forever a scarlet letter as if a hater..... Gets old from the same people usually too.

I personally would not label Philly not a large urban US city. But I can see if quaint Colonel neighborhoods and others of 3-story row predominately..... and telling a European from a large urban city. The s part og our downtown City Center too.

They are use to the 5-6+ story blocks after blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or