U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 12:19 PM

32 posts, read 6,245 times

Advertisements

I hold dual US/UK citizenship. I live in Philadelphia now. There are plenty of Europeans living in and around Philadelphia.

I do think Philadelphia gets overshadowed by NYC and DC for overseas visitors but plenty make the stop and very much like what they see. I see plenty of overseas, including UK/European tourists around Independence Hall and exploring Rittenhouse and Center City.

I'm not sure how DC has "more" to do compared to Philadelphia. I suspect the OP, if his post is in good faith and not something made up to stir up a controversy, has more to do with the person's relationship with his wife than the two cities in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 12:51 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,709,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
I hold dual US/UK citizenship. I live in Philadelphia now. There are plenty of Europeans living in and around Philadelphia.

I do think Philadelphia gets overshadowed by NYC and DC for overseas visitors but plenty make the stop and very much like what they see. I see plenty of overseas, including UK/European tourists around Independence Hall and exploring Rittenhouse and Center City.

I'm not sure how DC has "more" to do compared to Philadelphia. I suspect the OP, if his post is in good faith and not something made up to stir up a controversy, has more to do with the person's relationship with his wife than the two cities in question.
Quite possibly, but playing devil's advocate here:

Philly has some wonderful museums, including the best archaeology museum in the country and one of its leading art museums, but Washington has the Smithsonian collection, all of which are free - there's probably no greater concentration of a variety of museums anywhere else in the country.

It has a larger and more diverse restaurant scene than many outside it know. I'd still put Philly's food scene above DC's, but Washington's no slouch.

We're the birthplace of the nation. They're where the nation is run from.

I don't think DC has more to do than Philly does, but what it has has a much higher profile in the public imagination.

Edited to add: 1ondoner has some strong - and strongly held - opinions, and he's not shy about expressing them. That's a good thing, for it means that where people like me take issue with them, we can engage them honestly and directly.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:19 PM

353 posts, read 142,449 times
In addition to what there is to do, Washington DC is simply cleaner; the houses are kept in better shape, the subway stations/trains are kept clean, and there is less "grit" basically everywhere.

I'm aware that DC has some gritty spots, but if we focus on them, it's only fair to compare the worst spots in DC to the worst spots in Philly. Meanwhile, Philly is just starting to make Market Street a pleasant walk between City Hall and Old City.

Even if you're not doing anything, DC tends to be a more pleasant space to simply get around.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:13 PM

4,581 posts, read 7,676,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
In addition to what there is to do, Washington DC is simply cleaner; the houses are kept in better shape, the subway stations/trains are kept clean, and there is less "grit" basically everywhere.

I'm aware that DC has some gritty spots, but if we focus on them, it's only fair to compare the worst spots in DC to the worst spots in Philly. Meanwhile, Philly is just starting to make Market Street a pleasant walk between City Hall and Old City.

Even if you're not doing anything, DC tends to be a more pleasant space to simply get around.
Point well taken. I think the tide is shifting in Philly regarding treatment/maintenance of public spaces, especially outside of Center City, but of course there's so, so much more than can be done--even as basic as regular street-sweeping.

To me, at least, DC is a little too polished, however--to the extent of being a Disney-esque version of modern American urban living. It's hard not to come away with a contrived/manufactured feel compared to a city like Philadelphia.

That being said, I think a healthy balance of having a bit of patina/grit--but also not being disgustingly littered and completely neglected in certain sections--definitely gives the city a sense of being "lived in" but also livable. Boston and New York seem to have that balance down pretty darn well, for example, which is why they're two of the most high-demand cities in the US.

It's a difficult balance to strike, but I fully believe Philly is capable of it.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:29 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,457,022 times
Stay away from Philly! More room for visitors like me!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Quite possibly, but playing devil's advocate here:

Philly has some wonderful museums, including the best archaeology museum in the country and one of its leading art museums, but Washington has the Smithsonian collection, all of which are free - there's probably no greater concentration of a variety of museums anywhere else in the country.

It has a larger and more diverse restaurant scene than many outside it know. I'd still put Philly's food scene above DC's, but Washington's no slouch.

We're the birthplace of the nation. They're where the nation is run from.

I don't think DC has more to do than Philly does, but what it has has a much higher profile in the public imagination.

The DC Smithsonian Mall museums are "free" because we pay the fed taxes to make them free. It's one of the things about taxation that I am very happy to pay.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:14 PM

3,715 posts, read 1,790,696 times
Do Philly museums have free days for PA residents? I know Chicago museums do. This set by the state too. Perhaps it provides cost to the museums? But many are crowded especially all summer long. Best to get city passes or on-line tickets faster to get thru lines. But still waits. Especially weekends.

But certainlyh not a bad thing if PA state ask does this also in a day for free entry of a state resident

But I still don't get this Philly s not a large urban American city opinion of a few.....

Old 10-31-2019, 09:20 PM

26,119 posts, read 24,891,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The DC Smithsonian Mall museums are "free" because we pay the fed taxes to make them free. It's one of the things about taxation that I am very happy to pay.
I'm happy to pay for that, too. I'm also glad that the Philadelphia Museum of Art has a pay what you wish day every month. Everyone should have access to those treasures.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:20 AM

371 posts, read 553,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
We also pay for Dulles and National Airports (both Federally Owned and Funded)- something few are aware of. Philly airport is owned and funded by the city. There are also many other federal-local funding disparities. One of the largest of course is the number of federal employees - 284K civilian full-time federal employees live in the Washington, D.C. metro area, versus 33K in the Philly metro. This mid-high income population has a direct relationship on a city's potential growth. Only the NY, San Diego (Navy), Baltimore (which is primarily DC focused) and the Norfolk, VA (Navy) MSA's have more Federal Employees, than the Philadelphia MSA.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 AM

4,534 posts, read 6,102,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Wait, are we talking about the same picture? Glenside? That's Fishtown. The intersection you are seeing is Norris-Susquehanna-Cedar. This is right where the grid shifts to orient to the river going north which is why it looks like a mish-mash as opposed to Philadelphia's typical grid.
Very good! I just spent (wasted) a half-hour of my time trying to find the exact spot, not realizing you had already pinpointed the intersection. Anyway, I was looking for that building in the lower right of the picture, looks like a church. Found it. True Hand Society on E. Susquehanna. But yeah, that area truly is a mish-mash of streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or