Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:05 PM

156 posts, read 302,316 times

Advertisements

We may be looking to move to PA from NY for many reasons..I am starting my search with the type of school I would want my children to attend (girl K/ Boy Pre K). I found a few Nature style Pre schools and Kindergartens and one in particular is called The Schuylkill Center in Philadelphia. The Waldorf School in Phoenixville PA are the type of schools I am looking for...more student centered/inquiry based. I am also an elementary teacher and am open to public school....if I can find a great area where I can teach and send my kids.
With that being said...we would like to be able to make friends (in our late 30's almost early 40's LOL)
shop not too far from home, but also have some land, enjoy fun activities for the kids and adults, hiking and being outdoors...etc. I lived in SC for a few years, i loved the small town feel, schools were great, lots of activities, but looking for closer to NY and all the seasons.
I am just getting started so I will have to narrow it down once I get some ideas. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 01:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,452,534 times
Post your answers to the form found at http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html. You've already given some specifics and identified priorities, but the form will be helpful, too.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:51 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,268,989 times
Yes, providing the response to form will be more helpful. Price point and the type of home you are looking for are big factors in suggestion areas.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Excellent! Thank You

When are you moving? considering summer before school starts 2020
Where are you coming from? Long Island NY
Why are you moving? better quality of life, better schools, more opportunity for me to teach.
Where will you be working? I am an elementary teacher
Have you been here yet? a few times

Will you buy or rent? not sure...I guess it depends on if we can find the best area for us right off the bat!
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? If we buy, between 250-450 single family home.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA suburb
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? engaged -2 kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? considering both
Do you have pets? 2 dogs- one large, one small
Do you want or need a yard? yes, would love property
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work yes
Shopping yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) yes
Nightlife- restaurants
Train or subway stations no

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? diverse, but able to make friends- family environment

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? ALL
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Old 11-13-2019, 02:32 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,636,967 times
You might be able to do Chestnut Hill. Most places in delco and chestco, and probably montco would be okay. Depends where your job ends up being, really.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:07 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,268,989 times
I would focus on areas like Havertown, West Chester, Downingtown to start.
Jenkintown is another great alternative.

As the other poster stated, it really is dependent on where you get your job. For example if you lived in Dowingtown but got a job in Jenkintown, you would have a hellish commute.

Therefore I recommend checking out rentals say in a place like Havertown which is a little more centrally located, until you find your long term employment.

Havertown is part of the Haverford School District, which is an excellent tight knit community.

The housing stock is a bit older, but you can find an updated home with a medium/small yard in your price range.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-13-2019 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: removed link of competitors site

Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 AM

At first, I will not be working; I will be home with the kids so that isn't my main concern. I want to find them the best school that fits and then when it is time, I will hopefully be able to work in the district where they attend.
Havertown and Chestnut Hill both seem great.. Thank you for the options!
We definitely would like to have some land, and older homes are just fine
Now that I am thinking more, It would be important for us to have access to lakes and water for summertime. I want to add that to my list above!

Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 AM

Circle of Seasons in Fogelsville PA is an idea of the type of schooling we would HOPE to have for our kids...its Waldorf inspired, student centered, fosters love of learning etc... and this one is actually a public school. Does anyone know about the area surrounding this school?
Or other schools like it ? thank you

Old 11-14-2019, 09:56 AM

187 posts, read 122,921 times
Looks like that one is outside of Allentown in the Lehigh valley. It's nice there (both Allentown and Bethlehem), the area is growing quickly due to its proximity to NYC and Philly.

If you're looking for something closer to Philly, the Waldorf school of Philadelphia in germantown is supposed to be good, and I've heard good things about greene towne Montessori in center city. There are lots of others around the area and some schools that aren't strictly Montessori or Waldorf but adopt practices.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:50 PM

thank you skintreesnail, I will also look into the schools you've mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia