U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 257 times

Advertisements

When are you moving?Approximately December 5-6

Where are you coming from?

Tampa area, Florida

Why are you moving?
Work

Where will you be working?
The Navy Yard

Have you been here yet?

Only some hours
Will you buy or rent?
Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
It's not a deal breaker for me. My budget is around 1,600 a month

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Hi-rise
Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?

PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, no children.

Do you prefer public or private schools?

N/A

Do you have pets?
No

Do you want or need a yard?
No

Are you keeping a car?
I'm not sure

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Both
What do you want to be closest to?
Nightlife/Supermarkets/Subway station
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
I would prefer to live alone (no roomates) I have no preference and I don't really care about the ethnicity or race of my neighbors.
Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water?

Everything is good.

Hey, so I am planning on moving to Philadelphia from Florida because of a job offer in the Navy Yard. I've always had a car here and nothing is very walkable where I live, I've been in Philly for a couple of hours only and about a week in New York, I feel like I can get used to the big city life and I think that it is something that goes with my personality (I get bored easily).
I was considering living in Center City and I wouldn't need car but I do not know how that would play out since I'm used to having a car. I saw that the Navy Yard has a shuttle that runs around 4th and Market and 10th and Market and a shuttle that runs through the NRG station. So I could possible take the BSL line and then the shuttle that runs through the NRG to get to work.

I live here in the Tampa area so there's always something less than a 10 minute drive which is why the suburbs are not very appealing.
I'm a single young woman and would like to live in a place where I feel safe to go out at night and to get home late from work (they told me there is a lot of overtime).
I can own a car with my budget but it would have to be a used car that ranges around $10,000 and I could not afford parking if I live in Center City. I'm also worried about someone stealing my car, breaking a window or something similar.

I'm not dead set on Center City and could move to the suburbs but I would like a place that's safe and that it's not a bad commute because I get stressed out when driving in really crowded roads.

I was wondering who had any tips, experiences and opinions about:
Street parking in center city with permit.

How hard is it to find parking?
Do you use your car and find parking everyday?
How reliable is the BSL line?
Have any of you used the Navy Yard shuttle? How reliable is it?
Which part of Center City is safest?
Which suburbs are good?
Also, any other opinions would be good.

I'm planning on going there around November 10th to look for apartments.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,306,676 times
It can be hard to get an Uber/Lyft from the Navy Yard from a few passengers I've had before from that area. I'd suggest when you ask for an Uber/Lyft, you can that person or have a few contacts to call so that it can be more easy to get a ride without having to schedule a taxi. I think they might have a shuttle, but most things I believe don't run after hours.

I've never used the Navy Yard shuttle, but that's what I've heard about it.

BSL line is very reliable, although the walk might be a walk from the Navy Yard, but it is certainly do-able.

With Center City, you can live anywhere and be fine.

Parking is hard to find outside of the Navy Yard. If you need a car, pay for a space. Not worth the hassle of possibly getting tickets, especially with an area you're just getting to know.

Media, Plymouth Meeting, and Conshohocken are some good suburbs. The commute from the suburbs can be killer though.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 AM

9,931 posts, read 5,627,472 times
Since you specified hi-rise there are two newly constructed ones in Center City I suggest: The Alexander and 1601 Race St. Both are close to the BSL and may also have monthly parking options.

A commute from suburbs to the Navy Yard will be a pain.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM

5,543 posts, read 2,707,472 times
Another Center City high-rise, also recently built, and a little closer to entertainment and nightlife: 1213 Walnut Street (you may still hear some locals refer to this as the "Fergie Tower" because it envelops the beloved Sansom Street pub of that name).

Two more: The Ludlow and The Girard, the two new apartment towers in National Real Estate Development's East Market project. They take up the south side of the 1100 block of Market Street, which makes them super convenient to the BSL, MFL, Regional Rail (Jefferson Station is across the street) and the express shuttle from 10th and Market to the Navy Yard.

I think you can find studio apartments in any of these new towers for $1600/month; one-bedrooms might be a stretch at that price point, though. You might also want to look into some of the older office buildings that have been converted into apartments, like the Griffin at Broad and Chestnut.

The BSL is super-reliable; I ride it every day for a slightly longer distance than you will to get to and from my office. The loop shuttle that connects NRG Station to the Navy Yard runs far enough into the night that you shouldn't be caught short if you work late there.

Safety shouldn't be a worry for you anywhere in Center City.

If you decide to settle in the 'burbs, I'd recommend you consider a suburb that has a Regional Rail station in it. That way, you don't have to drive to work if you don't want to, though your commute in that case will probably take you 45 minutes to an hour or maybe more and require a transfer at Jefferson Station. Ardmore has a new midrise apartment building right in the heart of its downtown that you might want to consider, One Ardmore Place.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:41 AM

40 posts, read 9,520 times
I think you'd be better off in center city than the suburbs since it sounds like you don't like dealing with crowded roads. Traffic gets pretty bad here. If you get a studio near the BSL it's a straight shot down to the stadiums and then the shuttle (annoying, but the the navy yard just started getting built up fairly recently. They're planning an extension of the BSL there, but who knows when that will happen).

You could probably find a 1br if you look at renting in a rowhouse as opposed to a high-rise. All of center city is safe with the rittenhouse, washington sq west and old city neighborhoods having a good number of rentals and lots to do (shopping, restaurants, bars, museums, etc.) Also note that the subway-surface trolleys and MFL subway all have free transfers to the BSL at city hall station if you want to look outside of center city. Fishtown is a pretty trendy neighborhood outside of CC by the MFL subway/el and might have more sf for your $. Passyunk square and bella vista are also an option near the BSL; there's the italian market and a bunch of restaurants and some shops but is much quieter than center city.

As others have said, if you decide on the suburbs, just find something close to regional rail; you can hop on the BSL at city hall station which is close to the Suburban RR station. You'd be looking at a pretty long commute though.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:52 AM

362 posts, read 135,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
You could probably find a 1br if you look at renting in a rowhouse as opposed to a high-rise. All of center city is safe with the rittenhouse, washington sq west and old city neighborhoods having a good number of rentals and lots to do (shopping, restaurants, bars, museums, etc.)
I agree - I'd suggest she focus less on high rises and more on these neighborhoods.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:44 PM

Also, just saw the note about supermarkets, so I'll just add that center city has 2 trader joes, 2 whole foods, a Mom's Organic (like a whole foods), 2 ACME markets, several other smaller markets and next year a Giant. So that's pretty covered. Also, there's several nice farmers markets with produce from around PA. Reading Terminal Market also has several produce stands. Also the Italian Market is right outside of Center City and a large sprouts market opened recently right outside of center city at Broad and Washington.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 257 times
Thank you all for your responses. My future boss recommended a place called The Enclaves right in the south which is a short commute. I will take a look at those apartments and some others when I make my way there in some weeks.
Any other tips and responses are welcomed.
I'm also not opposed to moving to a rowhouse, its not a deal breaker for me.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:22 AM

just note that the enclaves appear to be right next to the refinery that recently blew up. There was an issue with chemicals being released from the explosion. Maybe whatever potential health-risks have dissipated since then, but I would be hesitant...

Old 10-30-2019, 03:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 644,497 times
I personally would not recommend the Enclaves. It is in an isolated part of Deep South Philadelphia, which means generally you are far from Center City where the social amenities you are seeking are located.

I would focus on Passyunk Square and the Washington Square neighborhoods.

Also, Spring Garden is a great neighborhood, with easy access to the BSL and Center City.

You would most definitely find a 1 bedroom in a row home at your price point.

If you insist on a walk up you can check out some of the slightly older high rises, or consider a studio in the new high rises being built.

You have easy access to the Broad St. Line which will quickly take you to NRG station for a short shuttle ride to the Navy Yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or