U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:43 AM

4,534 posts, read 6,102,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloemariep View Post
I'm going to provide you with some background on my life - I'm a 31 year old, single female who grew up in South Jersey (about 30 minutes outside of Philadelphia). I lived there for the majority of my life until I moved to Philly in my mid-twenties. Let me start off by saying, I LOVE everything about Philly - I could sit here for hours listing the things I love, the amazing memories I made and awesome people I met. But t came to the point where I wasn't happy with my life for these reasons: 1) my love life was non-existent, 2) I wasn't happy with my career - I was highly underpaid and applied to hundreds of other positions with no luck and 3) with most of my friends getting married/starting a family, I started seeing them less which meant not going out as much. I wanted a change for myself.

I have a sister who lives in the Charlotte area (little older with children) and my parents will be retiring to Hilton Head within the next two years. So about six months ago, I decided to start a new chapter in my life and relocate down to Charlotte, NC. The past couple of weeks, I've been questioning myself if I made the right decision. I like Charlotte, but I don't LOVE Charlotte - Uptown is a complete ghost town and lacks the culture that Philly has. Also, I only have one friend at work (who I barely hang out with). However, I have a job that I enjoy and am paid more than what I was making up north. I'm just lost at this point and am looking for some opinions on what I should do? Has anyone moved to Charlotte and felt the same way? Do I need to give it more time?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I don't know anything about Charlotte but I can say, six months isn't enough time. I'm from Philly, lived in Southern CA for two years before moving back, and I don't even think two years was enough time. Especially when it's a big cultural move, like East Coast-West Coast or North to South.

You didn't mention whether the love life has improved down there? Anyway, I'd recommend giving it AT LEAST a year, if not more. And actually, maybe wait til your parents move to HH? Meanwhile, you can sock away all that extra $, which you'll need if you do eventually come back to the city. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 11:09 AM

5,919 posts, read 5,331,728 times
I agree with other posters about sticking it out.

I have been to Charlotte many times for work, nice town, but definitely bland and typical sunbelt style city. If I was given an incredible work opportunity, maybe I would move and stick it out for 2-3 years, and then update an awesome resume and move back North.

I'm also a planner and analytical, so I would make a pro/con list, talk to friends, family, look at opportunities up here, etc. In the end its your decision and you should do what makes you happy, not friends or family.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:41 PM

22,615 posts, read 27,948,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with other posters about sticking it out.

I have been to Charlotte many times for work, nice town, but definitely bland and typical sunbelt style city. If I was given an incredible work opportunity, maybe I would move and stick it out for 2-3 years, and then update an awesome resume and move back North.

I'm also a planner and analytical, so I would make a pro/con list, talk to friends, family, look at opportunities up here, etc. In the end its your decision and you should do what makes you happy, not friends or family.
This is good advice - pretty much what she was told on the Charlotte board.

A lot depends on what she likes to do in her off time. The area is changing almost constantly, as the population grows. Just getting more money in Charlotte is a good reason to give it a couple of years. It costs money to move. She might as well come out ahead financially.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 AM

2,693 posts, read 2,229,641 times
Well I will be curious to see if the original poster can provide any more info or feedback.
I think the overwhelming advice to stay for at least a bit longer makes sense. and I still don't have an idea of things she has done to connect with people or activities. It's hard for sure, but not knowing these things makes it more difficult to give any advice or insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or