U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 06:29 PM

540 posts, read 305,315 times

Advertisements

How is zip 19341? Reasonable price there.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 PM

353 posts, read 142,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
How is zip 19341? Reasonable price there.
Exton is a perfectly fine place to live; it's safe with good schools and it's a pretty affluent area. My biggest complaint is that it is very commercial (basically a small-scale King of Prussia); the mall and countless shopping centers creates a lot of traffic. Driving into Philadelphia isn't great, as you'll need to deal with the Schuylkill Expressway, but you can take Septa Regional Rail instead.

If access into the city isn't a priority for you, you can get even better prices north of I-76 (Eagle/Chester Springs). I would also recommend looking into Phoenixville, which I consider to be an up-and-coming area.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:17 PM

730 posts, read 537,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
For 600k in Bergen County, you get a dumpy looking 1900 Sq ft 3BR 2.5 bath house on a 9000 sq ft lot in Montclair with $1,000/mo in taxes.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...82207598_zpid/
Montclair is Essex County.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
Y’all always forget about Haddonfield, Collingswood, and Westmont in these conversations. South Jersey has real, walkable communities with excellent public transportation options and relatively affordable housing.
That is really just that one little stretch of Haddon Ave in that pocket of Camden County. Beyond that there really isn't much else like that.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:22 PM

Any particular reason the OP is avoiding Bucks County?

Old 10-30-2019, 09:36 PM

233 posts, read 140,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Any particular reason the OP is avoiding Bucks County?
Perhaps the better question is why the OP has given up on the Bronx, Brooklyn, Weehawken, Union City, Binghamton, Newark (DE), or any of the other places asked about in 100+ threads.

This year alone, bluewin888 has started dozens of threads on the Pennsylvania boards asking about various places in the state—from Philadelphia to the Lehigh Valley to Harrisburg...and everything in between. (Plus a thread on Erie.)

To wit:
Depending on which posts you want to believe, bluewin888 is either in a hurry to buy a condo in the Bronx NOW—or planning to invest $1M in an apartment building in Downtown Easton—or trying to find a good neighborhood with luxury homes, good schools, and rich people in Reading.

Draw your own conclusions about the OP's objectives, the apparent lack of sincerity behind any of the questions asked—or for that matter, the lack of follow-through on thoughtful responses given by others to the OP's vague questions.

My opinion: Spend time responding at your own discretion.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-01-2019 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: removed schizophrenic.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:33 AM

540 posts, read 305,315 times
Like to live near shopping centers.

No need to access Philly.

Highway access is very important— frequent travel to NJ NY DE and MID PA.

Exton seems easy to find a newer house at 400k

Phoenixville has trains ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Exton is a perfectly fine place to live; it's safe with good schools and it's a pretty affluent area. My biggest complaint is that it is very commercial (basically a small-scale King of Prussia); the mall and countless shopping centers creates a lot of traffic. Driving into Philadelphia isn't great, as you'll need to deal with the Schuylkill Expressway, but you can take Septa Regional Rail instead.

If access into the city isn't a priority for you, you can get even better prices north of I-76 (Eagle/Chester Springs). I would also recommend looking into Phoenixville, which I consider to be an up-and-coming area.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:24 PM

32 posts, read 6,172 times
Where is this "My current house is 4-bed 4-bath with a pool and 15 min to NYC. FOR about $500k"

Fifteen minutes from NYC, 4 bed, for 500k?

Hmm. I don't buy this without know more. A lot more. A 500k budget barely gets you a townhouse in a decent school district in Westchester, indeed, most of the NYC suburbs when you get down to it.

I'm guessing this 500k house is in a crap area. With outrageous taxes.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:04 PM

26,111 posts, read 24,883,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
3 - PA has things that NJ generally doesn’t, such as an abundance of colleges and universities, historical sites, museums, and pleasant, walkable suburban towns that drive up home values.
New Jersey has no historical sites?

Old 10-31-2019, 03:52 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,306,676 times
There is no one place for everyone.
It sounds like you want everything for real cheap, and that's just not possible. (Convenience to city life, access to public transportation, garage for car(s), newer home with modern amenities, close to nightlife and grocery, and more, etc.)
You have to pick out what you want more than others, and that's different for everyone.
This includes even the simple factor of not liking change because you're used to living where you are.

Not everyone can or wants to be in the most reputable school district. No one area or district or place can be for everyone. For some families where cyber school is allowed, cyber school might even be the best option. Individuals and how they interact in the environments they are in determine the quality and kind of education they receive the most rather than a reputation of a place.

Start with yourself, and if you're interested in the Philly area, fill out the questionnaire and copy and paste.
Otherwise, why post at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or