Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between a Republican Coroner and a Democrat Coroner? Apparently there is a difference because people think so. And don't get me started on Republican and Democrat judges who are elected to enforce the law. Oh, there's more. The Recorder of Deeds too needs to be immersed in Democratic politics to be able to his job properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 12:23 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
It's been that way in every place that (in which) I've lived. Is this surprising to you?

Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Is this supposed to be some kind of whine about how many races were won by democrats in the city? Maybe if the republicans actually tried, they might have a bigger say in city government. They didn't even bother to put up candidates in 60% of the district council races, nor the race for sheriff, and their mayoral candidate wasn't originally endorsed by the party over a candidate who has been living on disability for years but would have miraculously been able to serve as mayor despite this. They even lost an at-large council seat to a third party candidate. If it's more about how the democrats swept leadership in Delco, well, look, no further than DC for reasons why.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:13 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Where I live, Satan would win election if he had an R after his name. Stop your damn whining.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:32 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
The Republican Party is dead to city people, and for damn good reasons.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
The Republicans on city council who have held the minority party seats have been extremely moderate but they tend to focus on job creation and tax and government reform as their niche . You are replacing those voices with ones that are to the left of the Democrats. It's up to each person to decide if that is better or worse for Philadelphia.

I personally like to be pragmatic about these things rather than ideological. These two seats potentially provide a check on the majority party. But if you see David Oh as Donald Trump then I suppose you may look at things differently.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:23 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Where I live, Satan would win election if he had an R after his name. Stop your damn whining.
Where I live, Satan DID win the election with an R after his name.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:24 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What is the difference between a Republican Coroner and a Democrat Coroner? Apparently there is a difference because people think so. And don't get me started on Republican and Democrat judges who are elected to enforce the law. Oh, there's more. The Recorder of Deeds too needs to be immersed in Democratic politics to be able to his job properly.
WAH! WAH!

So are you an expert on coroners? If this is some kind of injustice, tell us why the GOP coroner was much more qualified and deserved to win...aside from being a Republican of course!

By the way, it does seem silly that this is an elected position.

The vast majority of us know nothing about their job, so in absence of that knowledge, if most of us are Democrats, why wouldn’t we vote for the Democrat?

Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post

By the way, it does seem silly that this is an elected position.
That was my point but predictably people put on their team jerseys as expected.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:56 AM

1,395 posts, read 914,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Is this supposed to be some kind of whine about how many races were won by democrats in the city? Maybe if the republicans actually tried, they might have a bigger say in city government. They didn't even bother to put up candidates in 60% of the district council races, nor the race for sheriff, and their mayoral candidate wasn't originally endorsed by the party over a candidate who has been living on disability for years but would have miraculously been able to serve as mayor despite this. They even lost an at-large council seat to a third party candidate. If it's more about how the democrats swept leadership in Delco, well, look, no further than DC for reasons why.
Democrats swept every race in Bucks, too, which is kind of surprising since it's typically split 50-50.

I also agree with OP. It seems a little pointless for coroner to be an elected position when no one knows anything about the candidates (or cares) that far downballot, so the winner is just the person who has more partisans show up. It would be much better for someone to be hired based on professional qualifications for something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia