U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 129 times

Advertisements

I'm debating for a similar home between these two communities. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 2,230,568 times
I think they are both really good places to live. I think Paoli might be preferable for me but again depending on your situation- schools, commutes, etc. I don't think you could go wrong in either one but all things being equal I would opt for Paoli.
Train, a bit quieter, less construction (for now).
Curious to see what others will way.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:14 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,308,603 times
Newtown Square is closer to the city. So, if you like to visit the city a lot or the airport, Newtown Square is a better choice. If neither of those things is important to you, Paoli probably. If it's a mix between the two, look for other factors to consider too.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:41 AM

64 posts, read 72,993 times
I live in Paoli (19301). If schools are important, both the Great Valley and T/E district rank higher than Marple Newtown, though I am sure Newtown Sq schools are perfectly nice. Maybe Newtown Sq is closer in terms of mileage to Philadelphia, but if you are commuting into CC, Paoli is far superior b/c of easier regional rail and Amtrak access. For this reason we did not consider Newtown Sq and I think this is a big reason the pricing is higher in Paoli.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:41 PM

354 posts, read 142,449 times
I always found Paoli to be more trendy and Newtown Square being more stable. I think it really comes down to if you want to pay a premium to live in the trendy place, or get more house-for-the-money in a perfectly fine area.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 17,808 times
>I always found Paoli to be more trendy

I'm curious what you mean by that. The Paoli area was first populated in the very early 18th century. Parts of Paoli are in Willistown Township, which was incorporated in 1704. The Battle of Paoli (sometimes called the Paoli Massacre) happened in 1777 during the Revolutionary War (although the fighting itself actually occurred in and around what is today the borough of Malvern).

I was born in the 1950s and my Paoli memories date back to the very late 1950s. I remember when Eisenhower, as President, paid a visit to Paoli. In all candor, Paoli hasn't changed much since when I was a child. Yes, there are some new businesses and some buildings have been replaced or rehabbed but nothing has substantially changed. It hasn't changed radically like some other areas in metro Philly.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 17,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMI6 View Post
I'm debating for a similar home between these two communities. Any thoughts?
If you're buying, both prices and real estate taxes will be higher in the 19301 zip code portions that are in the Tredyffrin/Easttown School District than the 19301 parts that are in Great Valley School District. Tredyffrin Township is obviously T/E while the Willistown Township parts of 19301 are in GV.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:41 AM

354 posts, read 142,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpa View Post
>I always found Paoli to be more trendy

I'm curious what you mean by that. The Paoli area was first populated in the very early 18th century. Parts of Paoli are in Willistown Township, which was incorporated in 1704. The Battle of Paoli (sometimes called the Paoli Massacre) happened in 1777 during the Revolutionary War (although the fighting itself actually occurred in and around what is today the borough of Malvern).

I was born in the 1950s and my Paoli memories date back to the very late 1950s. I remember when Eisenhower, as President, paid a visit to Paoli. In all candor, Paoli hasn't changed much since when I was a child. Yes, there are some new businesses and some buildings have been replaced or rehabbed but nothing has substantially changed. It hasn't changed radically like some other areas in metro Philly.
I guess it may be psychological and I'm generalizing a Main Line town to a Delco town. Even then though, I can name a handful of restaurants in Paoli that I enjoy and can't name a single one in Newtown Square. I'm not bashing Newtown Square; it's a perfectly fine place and I'm sure there are some good places to eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or