U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2019, 10:28 AM

5,583 posts, read 10,090,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That was my point but predictably people put on their team jerseys as expected.
What team jersey were you wearing when you wrote the title of this thread?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 12:09 PM

230 posts, read 119,427 times
Quote:
That was my point but predictably people put on their team jerseys as expected.

Well, you did a poor job of making your point then.

A relative of mine was a county coroner in Central Pa. He has a high school education. His experience was a few years as an EMS. That's it. But he was friendly with the local Republican establishment that ran things, and they put his support behind him and he won the election. That's what political machines do.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:02 PM

9,932 posts, read 5,631,457 times
Quote:
What is the difference between a Republican Coroner and a Democrat Coroner? Apparently there is a difference because people think so. And don't get me started on Republican and Democrat judges who are elected to enforce the law. Oh, there's more. The Recorder of Deeds too needs to be immersed in Democratic politics to be able to his job properly.
It, likely, happens because people are still allowed to choose the one party "lever" on the ballot.

I'm thrilled, by the way, that another minority party won one of the "At Large" city council seats.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Is this supposed to be some kind of whine about how many races were won by democrats in the city? Maybe if the republicans actually tried, they might have a bigger say in city government. They didn't even bother to put up candidates in 60% of the district council races, nor the race for sheriff, and their mayoral candidate wasn't originally endorsed by the party over a candidate who has been living on disability for years but would have miraculously been able to serve as mayor despite this. They even lost an at-large council seat to a third party candidate. If it's more about how the democrats swept leadership in Delco, well, look, no further than DC for reasons why.
The funniest part of all is the OP is obviously ignorant of when Philadelphia was run by a REPUBLICAN machine. And that machine was described as one of the most corrupt in the country.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The Republican Party is dead to city people, and for damn good reasons.
It died, overall, after Sam Katz's mayoral run.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Democrats swept every race in Bucks, too, which is kind of surprising since it's typically split 50-50.
It's not surprising. The president is making the Republican Party toxic. Look what happened in VA and Kentucky.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:01 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,197,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's not surprising. The president is making the Republican Party toxic. Look what happened in VA and Kentucky.
Did Romney, the most polished, well-mannered politician you could find, carry VA? No. There are trends that are in motion with or without Trump.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:27 AM

808 posts, read 487,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
A relative of mine was a county coroner in Central Pa. He has a high school education. His experience was a few years as an EMS. That's it. But he was friendly with the local Republican establishment that ran things, and they put his support behind him and he won the election. That's what political machines do.
Exactly the reason, in my opinion, that coroner doesn't need to be, and probably shouldn't be, an elected position.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Did Romney, the most polished, well-mannered politician you could find, carry VA? No. There are trends that are in motion with or without Trump.
Lol. I know. I've been following politics since the 1960 presidential election.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:35 AM

514 posts, read 228,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It, likely, happens because people are still allowed to choose the one party "lever" on the ballot.
Not any more.

https://theintercept.com/2019/10/30/...raight-ticket/

Not that most people won't just mindlessly punch the R or D for every race anyway, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia