U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:29 AM

5,570 posts, read 2,721,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

*(Notice I said nothing positive about the K-12 public schools.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You post would pretty much applies to any major city... You can live in the burbs and enjoy the city...

That being said, this poster needs to live in Philadelphia, the only hesitation I would have is the school system.
As has already been noted, the OP isn't concerned about the schools, but to say you can't say anything positive about them is inaccurate.

There are several good grade schools in the city, and two of the 10 best high schools in the state, including the usual #1 (which is also usually the only high school in the region to make the U.S. News 50 Best in the country), are city public schools. Yes, you need to pass an exam (and win a lottery in the case of the #1 school) to get in, but they're city public schools all the same; the other one also probably has the single most diverse student body in the state. At least it sure looks that way when I'm on a bus passing it at either start or dismissal time. The citywide magnet high schools also make good choices - and if you want to learn about farming while in high school, your only option in the region is a public magnet high school located in Roxborough - I think it's the only big-city high school in the country devoted to agriculture.

And as far as prospects for their improvement are concerned, you might want to ask a Chester Arthur parent or member of the school's Friends group. (The Friends groups are comprised of adults who do not necessarily have children in a local public school but wish to support it. The citywide alliance of Friends groups is called Friends of Neighborhood Education (FONE), part of the Philadelphia Crosstown Coalition, a federation of civic associations in some 20-odd neighborhoods.)

Sure, the school district as a whole remains troubled, and many schools still lack adequate resources. But considering city public schools is not a non-starter. You just need to do research. (You might also want to read The Philadelphia Citizen's reporting and commentary on schools to get an idea of the breadth and depth of the challenges and the people working to meet them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:41 AM

4 posts, read 793 times
I would prefer not to disclose which university I’m attending, but thank you all to the people who have replied!
I am 20 and am indeed childless, so the K-12 system does not directly impact me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or