U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 02:07 PM

9,986 posts, read 5,659,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Hey,
I’m sitting here in Jersey City right now after flying in from Atlanta, where I was all last week and weekend. I’ll tell you what, neither of those cities hold a candle to Philly. This is my objective opinion.
Yes. Truth! I've been in Atlanta a few times and what I've seen is meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 03:42 PM

591 posts, read 278,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agree. While its fantastic to see Philadelphia on these lists, comparing it to Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit and calling the city scrappy is rather insulting in my opinion.

This is a situation where being near New York is a curse, if Philadelphia were anywhere else in the nation it would not be referred to as "scrappy"...

Philadelphia is one of the nations largest, most cultured and thriving cities, yes its gritty, but how long do we have to lead with that headline?, its 2019, not 1980.
I long for the days when NYC was considered gritty.

It wasn't THAT long ago.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,800,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
The city leadership itself should be more pro-active in the image the city's portrayed. It's been old hat to since the late 90's to continuously watch a sporting event on national television, and see them always showing Pat's or Geno's and talking about cheese steaks & hoagies.
You forgot the most important thing of all throwing snowballs at Santa. I blame it on journalism laziness.

Last edited by newmarlig; 11-21-2019 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,695,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
This is good, I just wish these publications would quit with the "scrappy underdog" theme. And I get it when compared with our neighbors to the north, but so is almost every other city. I think we're well beyond that moniker.
This 1,000%. Philadelphians (and Pennsylvanians generally) need to adopt a lot more self-assurance and confidence. The city is indeed beyond the need for validation by media accolades.

Obviously good/well-deserved press goes a long way for image, but it's also something that really isn't novel for Philly at this point. With all due respect, we're not talking about Omaha or something.

As was pointed out in that "other" thread, what Philly has to offer is more than self-evident to anyone with any sense of culture or interest in unique urban experiences.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:39 PM

3,767 posts, read 1,811,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's annoying because a ton of NY is gritty even in Manhattan.
Only city that gets a out for grittiness, dirty streets and trash bags in its core set out ..... will be NYC. Just the way it still is in 2019. Irreverent if less then 1980 too. Restored older buildings cleaned too. Get far more admiration. Of course some stand out for Architecture .... no matter what.

Philly certainly can be proud of its improvements and CC outward keeps getting more. But visitors note the extras, cleanliness. Cleaned grittiness in restorations and green. Adding flowers goes a long way on key streets too.

Some need to stop taking opinions given personally. Outsiders as visitors/tourist .... I always say, "Notice EVERYTHING".

Noteworthy positives on Philly in publications are proof of the right direction. City getting rid of the head tax too. Will help more relocations of businesses lured beck to the city too.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:21 AM

591 posts, read 278,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Only city that gets a out for grittiness, dirty streets and trash bags in its core set out ..... will be NYC. Just the way it still is in 2019. Irreverent if less then 1980 too. Restored older buildings cleaned too. Get far more admiration. Of course some stand out for Architecture .... no matter what.

Philly certainly can be proud of its improvements and CC outward keeps getting more. But visitors note the extras, cleanliness. Cleaned grittiness in restorations and green. Adding flowers goes a long way on key streets too.

Some need to stop taking opinions given personally. Outsiders as visitors/tourist .... I always say, "Notice EVERYTHING".
Bro. Where are you from?

Old 11-22-2019, 10:49 PM

3,767 posts, read 1,811,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Bro. Where are you from?
The State Philly is in. But when the term grittiness comes up negatively at times to debris on streets and mixes in blight among gentrified blocks.

Only Mighty NYC gets a OUT. Being New York. All know I'm not in Philly and only visit. I've said on numerous times .... I'm in the middle Susquehanna Valley region. Some note as Pennsyltucky negatively. Plenty of Philly and NYC transplants .... moving into cheaper small cities and I meet many. All races but many White from Bartenders to those on fixed incomes, retired, on disability to welfare recipients aplenty. Good gang-free schools for families and cheap taxes like just a few hundred for old-stock row-housing . Some go for a few hundred $$$'s back taxes even at auction.

No such thing as gutting a row-home and selling it for profit here. But they are recent housing till abused and left to be condemned by cert in kinds of folk. Sad to see a Red X sign of condemnation from these worst transplants who moved on after trashing places.

Much change in these cities that are in depressed areas. PA has them across the State too. My hometown is on the edge of the Coal region too. Basically, all depressed older small cities. Most know the Large Midwest city I lived a few years past decades too. I speak of it too often. But it's my default city to use in comparisons too on travels.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-22-2019 at 10:58 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 10:36 AM

4,691 posts, read 2,901,563 times
The city has added a lot of worthwhile attractions this decade. My personal favorites are the Barnes, the American Revolution museum, and the Cira Green.

One thing Philly was lacking before was a way to see the city up high. The city hall observation deck is fine but it’s essentially buried by taller surrounding buildings. Now with the One Liberty observation deck and the Jean-George Sky Lounge, we got that covered pretty good.

I know I have said this before, but the Cira Green really is an underrated park and totally worth a stop imo.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:08 AM

9,986 posts, read 5,659,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The city has added a lot of worthwhile attractions this decade. My personal favorites are the Barnes, the American Revolution museum, and the Cira Green.

One thing Philly was lacking before was a way to see the city up high. The city hall observation deck is fine but it’s essentially buried by taller surrounding buildings. Now with the One Liberty observation deck and the Jean-George Sky Lounge, we got that covered pretty good.

I know I have said this before, but the Cira Green really is an underrated park and totally worth a stop imo.
Wrt the One Liberty observation deck, Comcast TC obsures a lot of the Parkway now.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:30 PM

4,224 posts, read 1,565,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I wanted to get there before the summer ended but wasn't able to put will be high on my list at the start of the 2020 warm season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or