U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 11:26 AM

10,006 posts, read 5,680,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

Oh, and I was in NYC this weekend and was amazed at how that town avoids the "dirty" label. It has the same problems with trash as any other big town I've been in. DC and Chicago are the only big towns I've spent a ton of time in that mange to move the needle when it comes to trash.
I was in NYC twice this month and I agree: how does it continue to avoid the "dirty" label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 09:44 AM

6,948 posts, read 8,027,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the rules I learned back in the days of Usenet newsgroups was: You can call others out on their views, but criticizing their grammar and usage was verboten.
That’s an admirable practice, I suppose, but if someone opens a thread, particularly titled as this one, then I expect to see more than half-formed sentences (if that), with little to support their claim. I smell a troll, actually, and am waiting for the OP to return and acknowledge the posts that thoughtful writers such as you have taken the time to post.
Quote:
This article suggests that while the response to the program has been positive, some esidents of the six neighborhoods aren't certain the leaf blowers and mechanical street sweepers have made much of a difference. (The leaf blowers are used to blow trash into the middle of the street so the sweepers can pick it up without requiring residents to move their cars.)
I was blown away (in a negative fashion) when I learned of the bolded practice above. Cities larger than ours require their car owners to occasionally move their vehicles so that the rest of their residents and visitors can enjoy cleaner streets. I’m looking forward to the day when the politicos of my generation retire (or are voted out) so that the next generation takes on some of the sacred cows our current leaders are unwilling or too afraid to tackle. Parking anywhere one wants for as long as one wants needs to go. It’s no longer the 70s and Frank Rizzo is mayor.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:09 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,830,231 times
Cities with more trees on neighborhood streets especially ..... even those in Philly. I've seen streets with leaves gathered on street-drains. But TRASH is even worst if no storm-drain alone or street-cleanings come. Yet it IS EASIER to send out crews to clear these drains (especially after rain events). That also at the same time, make Philly streets cleaner. Especially, as much already may have gathered around the storm-drains.

AS A EXAMPLE CITY NEARBY. Baltimore in 2014 added a city "Rain Tax" to buy a new fleet to start of
8 new street-sweepersand 4-storm-drain cleaning trucks. That do drains alone and the Bay inlet debris that gathers.

Baltimore 2014 initiative deemed SUCESSFUL in cleaner streets concentrating on the city's
East side neighborhoods and to protect the Bay too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DByhs1SGsjU

There is NO REASON Philly leaves this street like this for months and no one reports it to the city?
Or Inaction by the city. I understand this is a extreme example not throughout the city. But tires and everything.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9942...7i16384!8i8192

Some parts of the block nearby isn't bad looking at all and tree-lined. But one storm-drain is partially blocked here anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9933...7i16384!8i8192

South Philly too can get storm-drain debris that NEVER will see a street-sweeper to clear it? Doesn't matter if gentrifying with new infill either. North or South.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9313...vQ!2e0!7i16384!

These things label one a troll in a thread that is on CLEAN STREETS. Or just a Hater..... then the grammar and sentence structuring. As the OP already got too and others. But many in these neighborhoods will not do better throughout Philly either. With those labeling posters ..... also live among others who may write poorly and in structuring.

*** Philadelphians claiming -- no where to move cars and never street-cleanings or something in the spring once if lucky? Will have it maintain a status quo. This -- BLOWING DEBRIS PAST CARS TOWARD MIDDLE OF STREETS for then sweepers. Was something that many hate even more as a idea. Maybe already ended??? Not to return next year that is....

Seems Philly still has some cleaners yet. Some the smaller types. But OTHER CITIES ARE ADDING FLEETS and taking a more proactive approach. Also this claiming its the "Current Political Machine" in place and replacing it with younger intellectuals will fix things?

Won't change people and same outcry of no place to move cars or a excuse ..... will still exist. They grumble in most cities too. Especially when ticketed for non-moving of cars. But enforcing it still gains results.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:51 PM

22,700 posts, read 28,042,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Cities with more trees on neighborhood streets especially ..... even those in Philly. I've seen streets with leaves gathered on street-drains. But TRASH is even worst if no storm-drain alone or street-cleanings come. Yet it IS EASIER to send out crews to clear these drains (especially after rain events). That also at the same time, make Philly streets cleaner. Especially, as much already may have gathered around the storm-drains.

AS A EXAMPLE CITY NEARBY. Baltimore in 2014 added a city "Rain Tax" to buy a new fleet to start of
8 new street-sweepersand 4-storm-drain cleaning trucks. That do drains alone and the Bay inlet debris that gathers.

Baltimore 2014 initiative deemed SUCESSFUL in cleaner streets concentrating on the city's
East side neighborhoods and to protect the Bay too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DByhs1SGsjU

There is NO REASON Philly leaves this street like this for months and no one reports it to the city?
Or Inaction by the city. I understand this is a extreme example not throughout the city. But tires and everything.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9942...7i16384!8i8192

Some parts of the block nearby isn't bad looking at all and tree-lined. But one storm-drain is partially blocked here anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9933...7i16384!8i8192

South Philly too can get storm-drain debris that NEVER will see a street-sweeper to clear it? Doesn't matter if gentrifying with new infill either. North or South.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9313...vQ!2e0!7i16384!

These things label one a troll in a thread that is on CLEAN STREETS. Or just a Hater..... then the grammar and sentence structuring. As the OP already got too and others. But many in these neighborhoods will not do better throughout Philly either. With those labeling posters ..... also live among others who may write poorly and in structuring.

*** Philadelphians claiming -- no where to move cars and never street-cleanings or something in the spring once if lucky? Will have it maintain a status quo. This -- BLOWING DEBRIS PAST CARS TOWARD MIDDLE OF STREETS for then sweepers. Was something that many hate even more as a idea. Maybe already ended??? Not to return next year that is....

Seems Philly still has some cleaners yet. Some the smaller types. But OTHER CITIES ARE ADDING FLEETS and taking a more proactive approach. Also this claiming its the "Current Political Machine" in place and replacing it with younger intellectuals will fix things?

Won't change people and same outcry of no place to move cars or a excuse ..... will still exist. They grumble in most cities too. Especially when ticketed for non-moving of cars. But enforcing it still gains results.
Rain tax is a common name for the stormwater fees that the EPA is requiring. How a city implements it is up to them.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:54 PM

5,661 posts, read 2,757,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I was blown away (in a negative fashion) when I learned of the bolded practice above. Cities larger than ours require their car owners to occasionally move their vehicles so that the rest of their residents and visitors can enjoy cleaner streets. I’m looking forward to the day when the politicos of my generation retire (or are voted out) so that the next generation takes on some of the sacred cows our current leaders are unwilling or too afraid to tackle. Parking anywhere one wants for as long as one wants needs to go. It’s no longer the 70s and Frank Rizzo is mayor.
Under the old street-sweeping program that ended in 2008, city residents were required to move their cars on street sweeping day as well. You might still be able to find some "No Parking - Street Cleaning - ##-## (time) (day of week)" signs on a city block or two, even. And that was the case when Rizzo was mayor.

But surely you've come to see how whacked out people here get over parking. It's like they've caught the vapors.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:06 PM

1,197 posts, read 761,294 times
The other day I was in Philly and there was someone standing on the steps of their row home smoking. After they were done puffing, they threw the cigarette stub on to the side street and then went back into their home. I can imagine they do this a few times a day and whenever else they are in the city when they are done smoking.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
But surely you've come to see how whacked out people here get over parking.
I have. This is when the city’s parochialism gets in the way of its ambitions for world class status. As I suggested earlier, I think we’ll need to look to the next generation’s leaders to move us past the mindset of “that’s just how we’ve always done things here.”

Old 11-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
The other day I was in Philly and there was someone standing on the steps of their row home smoking. After they were done puffing, they threw the cigarette stub on to the side street and then went back into their home. I can imagine they do this a few times a day and whenever else they are in the city when they are done smoking.
This is a pet peeve of mine and it’s not just a problem in Philly. Everywhere I go, I see smokers toss their cigarette butts out the window or on the sidewalk. I sometimes think smokers don’t see their butts as litter, but just something innocuous they are permitted to drop wherever they please. I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:08 PM

26,306 posts, read 25,037,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine and it’s not just a problem in Philly. Everywhere I go, I see smokers toss their cigarette butts out the window or on the sidewalk. I sometimes think smokers don’t see their butts as litter, but just something innocuous they are permitted to drop wherever they please. I don’t see this changing anytime soon.
Years ago, a former neighbor told me that she threw her butts out of the car window when she smoked while driving because she didn't want them in her ashtray. She didn't want her car to smell bad. That justifies littering? I'll never understand that mentality.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 PM

544 posts, read 221,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Years ago, a former neighbor told me that she threw her butts out of the car window when she smoked while driving because she didn't want them in her ashtray. She didn't want her car to smell bad. That justifies littering? I'll never understand that mentality.
My neighbor’s butts are constantly rolling onto my side of the front porch (we have a shared/split porch rowhome). Yet he had the audacity to tell me I should not have my dog do his business, which I clean up after immediately, in my own dang yard. If I can clean up my dog doo, you can take care of your butts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or