U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,830,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
My neighbor’s butts are constantly rolling onto my side of the front porch (we have a shared/split porch rowhome). Yet he had the audacity to tell me I should not have my dog do his business, which I clean up after immediately, in my own dang yard. If I can clean up my dog doo, you can take care of your butts!
Sometimes tight urban living .... is not what butts cracked are up to be. Don't expect a butt pick-up anytime ever.

Lacking yards doesn't help. Butts get flung anywhere today. Guess ashtrays carried onto a porch are obsolete or too much trouble.

Nothing will change here and living attached is with a unfriendly neighbor unfortunately. Shy I rather not be attached go another neighbor.

Only chance of cleaner streets is gentrification complete or street-sweeping brought back. People are not going to change. Unless you might get a new neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 01:06 PM

568 posts, read 410,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Sometimes tight urban living .... is not what butts cracked are up to be. Don't expect a butt pick-up anytime ever.

Lacking yards doesn't help. Butts get flung anywhere today. Guess ashtrays carried onto a porch are obsolete or too much trouble.

Nothing will change here and living attached is with a unfriendly neighbor unfortunately. Shy I rather not be attached go another neighbor.

Only chance of cleaner streets is gentrification complete or street-sweeping brought back. People are not going to change. Unless you might get a new neighbor.
How would you know? You don’t live here. You have zero idea what the streets of Philadelphia look like.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM

17 posts, read 1,993 times
I live in East Kensington (near Fishtown) and pick up litter on the streets around my house for about an hour each week. It's very satisfying work.

The problem around here isn't people throwing trash on the ground.

It's people who don't secure their trash when they put it out on garbage day. On a windy day, it just takes one loose pile of household trash to foul an entire block.

I can tell you exactly which houses have poor trash hygiene in my neighborhood. There's one on almost every block. They leave black plastic bags untied, or put out an overflowing recycling container with no lid, or lots of little white trash bags that aren't tightly tied. Whoosh, it's all over the place in a minute.

For big trash piles, I've had good luck submitting a 311 ticket. They actually do come and clean up the mess if you report it.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:15 AM

4,270 posts, read 2,164,972 times
When ignorant people stop throwing their trash on the ground and start appreciating their surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
North Philly
West Philly
All a long broad.
Fishtown
Kensington
When will people start to truly care about philly stop throwing trash everywhere?
Why won't fines and laws get more strict and why wont the city make this a main priority?
This is decades in the making

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

176 posts, read 105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersville_carol View Post
I live in East Kensington (near Fishtown) and pick up litter on the streets around my house for about an hour each week. It's very satisfying work.

The problem around here isn't people throwing trash on the ground.

It's people who don't secure their trash when they put it out on garbage day. On a windy day, it just takes one loose pile of household trash to foul an entire block.

I can tell you exactly which houses have poor trash hygiene in my neighborhood. There's one on almost every block. They leave black plastic bags untied, or put out an overflowing recycling container with no lid, or lots of little white trash bags that aren't tightly tied. Whoosh, it's all over the place in a minute.

For big trash piles, I've had good luck submitting a 311 ticket. They actually do come and clean up the mess if you report it.
Yes was going to post this. Littering is a fraction of the issue.

The city just needs to get serious about it, that's all. For example, the city is serious about parking - hence the army of ruthlessly efficient Gestapo PPA officers patrolling the streets near and far. There's hundreds of them - the whole PPA is a considerable expense. No other city in the world (maybe, London) is parking this ruthlessly and efficiently enforced. It's a joke. But it's a choice the city has made: parking must be enforced.

Now, imagine if we made a different choice - like a city like Boston has done - if we tried to ruthlessly enforce cleanliness. Unsecured trash on the curb is - now and always has been - a violation. But the city rarely enforces it. It would only take a few $100 violations before Landlords started providing their tenants with enclosed garbage bins (like the rest of the civilized does) and pay an employee to go around to their properties on trash night and take out to the curb. Or overgrown weed pits, or...

Here's an idea - how about we took those 500 uniformed PPA parking enforcers - and halved it - and put the other 250 out to enforce Quality of Life issues in the city. **** would get cleaned up pretty quick.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

594 posts, read 281,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post

...**** would get cleaned up pretty quick.
...And the city would lose out on millions of dollars in parking revenues.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

176 posts, read 105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
...And the city would lose out on millions of dollars in parking revenues.
If they gained QOL fines it would, at least, partially off-set. Unsecured trash is $75 fine right now...it's just not enforced.

And do we have an actual accounting on where the fine revenues go? Does it go to the city b/c when you write a check it's to the PPA. I wouldn't be surprised if a huge portion of the $$ goes to fund that massively ****ty organization.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM

5,661 posts, read 2,757,533 times
Quote:
If they gained QOL fines it would, at least, partially off-set. Unsecured trash is $75 fine right now...it's just not enforced.

And do we have an actual accounting on where the fine revenues go? Does it go to the city b/c when you write a check it's to the PPA. I wouldn't be surprised if a huge portion of the $$ goes to fund that massively ****ty organization.
Keep in mind that the Parking Authority is an independent agency that is not a city department. It's like SEPTA in that regard, with the only difference being that it operates solely in one jurisdiction. It was turned over to the state to run a few years back in order to provide the city Republicans with a patronage haven of their own.

Litter enforcement falls on the Department of Streets. Any revenue from fines for littering and improper handling of trash go into the city treasury therefore.

Old Today, 07:42 AM

10,006 posts, read 5,680,021 times
Quote:
Yes was going to post this. Littering is a fraction of the issue.

The city just needs to get serious about it, that's all. For example, the city is serious about parking - hence the army of ruthlessly efficient Gestapo PPA officers patrolling the streets near and far. There's hundreds of them - the whole PPA is a considerable expense. No other city in the world (maybe, London) is parking this ruthlessly and efficiently enforced. It's a joke. But it's a choice the city has made: parking must be enforced.

Now, imagine if we made a different choice - like a city like Boston has done - if we tried to ruthlessly enforce cleanliness. Unsecured trash on the curb is - now and always has been - a violation. But the city rarely enforces it. It would only take a few $100 violations before Landlords started providing their tenants with enclosed garbage bins (like the rest of the civilized does) and pay an employee to go around to their properties on trash night and take out to the curb. Or overgrown weed pits, or...

Here's an idea - how about we took those 500 uniformed PPA parking enforcers - and halved it - and put the other 250 out to enforce Quality of Life issues in the city. **** would get cleaned up pretty quick.
Unless something has changed PA manages the PPA not the city despite its name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or