U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,106,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Guilty as charged. I've stopped by the rocky statue a couple of times and only once gone up the steps but did not venture into the art museum.

That said, I'm not an art museum guy. The only art museum I've been to was in the middle east if you don't count the National Gallery in London.

Not everyone likes or must like art. It does not tickle my fancy and I don't see this changing soon.
I'm the same way. I love early American History and architecture, but I'm not interested in art per se. My wife wanted to snap a photo with the statue, but we never actually ventured inside the adjacent museum.

The only art-related site we visited was the Second Bank of the United States -- only because it features paintings of key historic figures in American History. It felt more like a history museum more than an art museum.

We also went to the Constitution Center, Museum of the American Revolution, Ben Franklin Museum, Independence Hall/Congress Hall, American Philosophical Society, and the list goes on.

The only site we missed was the Declaration House. It was closed for repairs and we had to leave town the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Interesting that you live in Florida and want to know if people find Philadelphia boring. I moved to Philadelphia from Fort Lauderdale because I was bored out of my brains down there and wanted to live in an affordable big city with lots of things to do---a city where I did not need a car to survive! I've lived in Center City seventeen years now (without a car) and I've never been bored living here---NEVER. How can one possibly be bored in this city that has so many attractions? Just walking in a gorgeous neighborhood like Society Hill, Rittenhouse, Old City, or Fairmount lifts my spirits, as it feels like I'm strolling through a beautiful painting. Friends and family who visit me here are as delighted with Philly as I am.
I'm jealous! I'd consider moving there someday, but my wife wants to stay close to family. I guess that means plenty of vacations to the City of Brotherly Love in our future.

Yes, Society Hill was beautiful. Didn't get a chance to see Rittenhouse or Fairmont, but I'd love to next time I'm there.

I know what you mean about being bored to death in South Florida. I live in Miami, which is probably more shallow/less intellectually stimulating than Fort Lauderdale will ever be. It's all about partying, beaches, and nightlife.

I actually went to an Alexander Hamilton exhibit hosted by Nova Southeastern University earlier this year -- the kind you might find at a museum in New York, Boston, or Philadelphia.

It was an absolute treat, and I know you could never find something like that in Miami.

Other than HistoryMiami, the Frost Science museum, Coral Gables museum, and a slew of art museums peppered throughout the city (I'm not big on art), there isn't much to do in Miami that's mentally enriching. No wonder I felt so at home in Philly!

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
This is a good question. I think for alot of people who live here it will become boring because they have been here for all their lives. Me on the other hand ,29 yo guy...Love my city..I think there is plenty to do, there is always something going on. Philly is a GREAT MIX OF EVERYTHING. I've been traveling alot lately...and i still love Philly to the fullest. I dont think i could live anywhere else.
I can see why you feel that way. I felt at home in Philly, with its beautiful parks, striking architecture, and fantastic museums. The only thing I didn't like about Old City (where we stayed) was that there really weren't many stores/chain restaurants. I would imagine they're mostly concentrated in the downtown Center City area.

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Overall, I don't see how people would not enjoy visiting Philadelphia, unless they strayed into a bad area, but in Center City and now many other areas, there is plenty to do, see, eat and enjoy, and there seem to be more offerings every time I visit, like the new Four Seasons roof.
I couldn't agree more. I think most people would enjoy Philly if they actually visited, but they have little to no knowledge of the area. It's a shame many think New York is the only state worth visiting in the Northeast.

Would I have been so interested in Philly had I not been a history buff? Maybe not. I visited Baltimore and Annapolis after visiting Philly a year ago. Despite having beautiful areas and architecture in its own right, there's just no comparison.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post

I'm not saying Philly should be everyone's first destination (I for one would always take the beach over any locale), but if you find yourself in our city and are unable to indulge your passions/interests, I would encourage to actually develop at least one passion/interest.
Agreed. There's something for everyone there. In my case, I went for the history and architecture. Finding that the city boasts so many beautiful parks was a bonus. And the food was great, too!

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post

Philly is also pretty unfashionable. I am originally from Kansas City and there is no meaningful difference between the way citizens of KC/Philadelphia dress. Conversely, if you go to NYC, you are suddenly surrounded by extremely fashionable and well dressed people. Similarly Philadelphia is also lacking if you are really into shopping. The retail scene is pretty bad for a city of over 1.5 million. None of these things are important to me (I am part of the problem when it comes to the decline of retail) but it does matter to others.
I agree. The people in Philly seemed more down-to-earth than in New York or Boston. I also loved that it seemed so much more relaxing there than in the other two cities. Mind you, I spent most of my time in Old City.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OP, there's an active thread with the topic name: Phila. #1 Best trip 2020, National Geographic. So obviously there a sufficient number of people who don't think Philadelphia is boring. Personally I find beaches and sand boring so you won't find me going to any city(unless it's Miami) that features those prominently.
I actually live in Miami and am bored here. I'm not a huge beach/nightlife person. Not much history to explore here. The only "historic" area I enjoy is Coral Gables, but even there there is not much to do, and the history only dates back to the early 1900s.

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 5,659,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I'm the same way. I love early American History and architecture, but I'm not interested in art per se. My wife wanted to snap a photo with the statue, but we never actually ventured inside the adjacent museum.

The only art-related site we visited was the Second Bank of the United States -- only because it features paintings of key historic figures in American History. It felt more like a history museum more than an art museum.

We also went to the Constitution Center, Museum of the American Revolution, Ben Franklin Museum, Independence Hall/Congress Hall, American Philosophical Society, and the list goes on.

The only site we missed was the Declaration House. It was closed for repairs and we had to leave town the next day.
The PMA has rooms with colonial era furniture...well, more 18th century European. And, I think, you didn't see the Fairmount Park houses which are all 18th century.

I'm a lot more interested in 19th century Philadelphia, wrt the Civil War and the city's being very much part of the industrial revolution. The city post the 1854 consolidation is what I'm interested in.

Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

9,986 posts, read 5,659,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I'm jealous! I'd consider moving there someday, but my wife wants to stay close to family. I guess that means plenty of vacations to the City of Brotherly Love in our future.

Yes, Society Hill was beautiful. Didn't get a chance to see Rittenhouse or Fairmont, but I'd love to next time I'm there.

I know what you mean about being bored to death in South Florida. I live in Miami, which is probably more shallow/less intellectually stimulating than Fort Lauderdale will ever be. It's all about partying, beaches, and nightlife.

I actually went to an Alexander Hamilton exhibit hosted by Nova Southeastern University earlier this year -- the kind you might find at a museum in New York, Boston, or Philadelphia.

It was an absolute treat, and I know you could never find something like that in Miami.

Other than HistoryMiami, the Frost Science museum, Coral Gables museum, and a slew of art museums peppered throughout the city (I'm not big on art), there isn't much to do in Miami that's mentally enriching. No wonder I felt so at home in Philly!
You were right next to one of William Penn's 5 squares: Washington Sq. It's adjadent to Independence Hall.

"Slew of musems" is part of the attraction of Miami for me. I can skip the rest of FL.

Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

22,669 posts, read 28,005,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The PMA has rooms with colonial era furniture...well, more 18th century European. And, I think, you didn't see the Fairmount Park houses which are all 18th century.

I'm a lot more interested in 19th century Philadelphia, wrt the Civil War and the city's being very much part of the industrial revolution. The city post the 1854 consolidation is what I'm interested in.
When my nephew was little, I took him to the art museum every summer. We went through the medieval armor collection. He didn't even know that there were paintings in the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or