U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 PM

9,991 posts, read 5,664,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I'm the same way. I love early American History and architecture, but I'm not interested in art per se. My wife wanted to snap a photo with the statue, but we never actually ventured inside the adjacent museum.

The only art-related site we visited was the Second Bank of the United States -- only because it features paintings of key historic figures in American History. It felt more like a history museum more than an art museum.

We also went to the Constitution Center, Museum of the American Revolution, Ben Franklin Museum, Independence Hall/Congress Hall, American Philosophical Society, and the list goes on.

The only site we missed was the Declaration House. It was closed for repairs and we had to leave town the next day.
The PMA was designed by African American architect, Julien Abele, who worked for Horace Trumbauer. So the museum itself isn't just any museum, imo.

Declaration House is not the original house that was on that corner. It was re-built during the Bicentenial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM

9,991 posts, read 5,664,898 times
Quote:
I can see why you feel that way. I felt at home in Philly, with its beautiful parks, striking architecture, and fantastic museums. The only thing I didn't like about Old City (where we stayed) was that there really weren't many stores/chain restaurants. I would imagine they're mostly concentrated in the downtown Center City area.
There are chain restaurant reps like Panda Express and Cheesecake Factory. But, the city is an independent restaurant mecca. Even in places tourists do not wander there are independents.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:22 PM

4,609 posts, read 7,697,547 times
Thanks for sharing your experience and kind words!

You'll certainly get plenty of agreement on this board about Philadelphia's continued underrated attributes, although that's changed for the better fairly rapidly over the past decade. In some ways, it's a blessing and a curse, as Philly's slightly lower profile is what affords it generally a much more financially approachable and downright comfortable/pleasant existence for such a large, East Coast city. As others have noted very aptly in the past, it's the "Goldilocks" city. But the extent to which it can remain as such may be more difficult as its fortunes rise.

I can't help but think that by 2030, the city might actually get its "due" in terms of national/ global reputation by continuing on its trajectory.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:27 PM

26,243 posts, read 24,993,795 times
Quote:
I'm jealous! I'd consider moving there someday, but my wife wants to stay close to family. I guess that means plenty of vacations to the City of Brotherly Love in our future.

Yes, Society Hill was beautiful. Didn't get a chance to see Rittenhouse or Fairmont, but I'd love to next time I'm there.

I know what you mean about being bored to death in South Florida. I live in Miami, which is probably more shallow/less intellectually stimulating than Fort Lauderdale will ever be. It's all about partying, beaches, and nightlife.

I actually went to an Alexander Hamilton exhibit hosted by Nova Southeastern University earlier this year -- the kind you might find at a museum in New York, Boston, or Philadelphia.

It was an absolute treat, and I know you could never find something like that in Miami.

Other than HistoryMiami, the Frost Science museum, Coral Gables museum, and a slew of art museums peppered throughout the city (I'm not big on art), there isn't much to do in Miami that's mentally enriching. No wonder I felt so at home in Philly!
I love art museums because they have "objects." I like paintings well enough, but I find the artifacts fascinating.

I once got to hold a tarantula at a museum in Washington. There were about forty or so people listening to the speech about spiders, and he chose me. Oh, joy! He said that if I didn't make any sudden moves or seem too tense, that it wouldn't hurt me. I ended up petting it.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 AM

5,958 posts, read 5,357,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There are chain restaurant reps like Panda Express and Cheesecake Factory. But, the city is an independent restaurant mecca. Even in places tourists do not wander there are independents.
I find that to be one of the best parts of Philadelphia. You will always have Starbucks and Dunkin, but I enjoy the local coffee shops, bakeries, restaurants, markets, etc.

Actual retail (shopping) are the only chains I would like to see expand in Philadelphia, but I can live without 20 Paneras, Olive Gardens, Arbys and every other crappy chain that proliferates Southern cities.

I wish there were less Wawas in Center City though, I don't mind the banks as much since they don't attract a rowdy crowd.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:57 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,527,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Of all its problems, I would never call Philadelphia boring. I have friends visit regularly and they all seem to feel the same way. I find Philadelphia enjoyable because i am curious. I love the history but I also enjoy the art whether its the Barnes or the Magic Gardens. I enjoy visiting the many ethnic enclaves and their delicious restaurants. I love people watching and Philly gives me the chance to do so without always being in the way like NYC. I love the world class restaurants popping up all over the city and I like that I can actually get a table and afford to pay the bill. I like that this time of year you can meet friends at a bar in center city and some mummers will show up and play a couple songs. I like that I can go for a hike in the Wisahickon and forget that i'm in the city. I love the Philadelphia's organic weirdness. I love that I can do all this without having to get into a car.

Some people are not into exploring and are more into feeling fancy or prestigious. If that is your thing then Philly would certainly be lacking compared to NYC, DC or even Boston. It is not a velvet ropes kind of town.

Philly is also pretty unfashionable. I am originally from Kansas City and there is no meaningful difference between the way citizens of KC/Philadelphia dress. Conversely, if you go to NYC, you are suddenly surrounded by extremely fashionable and well dressed people. Similarly Philadelphia is also lacking if you are really into shopping. The retail scene is pretty bad for a city of over 1.5 million. None of these things are important to me (I am part of the problem when it comes to the decline of retail) but it does matter to others.
OMG I so totally disagree. New yorkers as a whole (outside of those who are in the business) are they most boringest (is that a word) dressers.

Speaking as a ny'er what's their go to fashion?? BLACK. every day, all day, every person, every shape, form or fashion. I've got a freaking 10 year old niece in Brooklyn, what's her go to? Black. When I grew up I went to catholic school so all I could wear was a uniform, I remember thinking I couldn't wait to graduate because every day I could wear what I want. I grew up and then started noticing that everyone and their mama, including me lives in Black.

lol, I remember getting on the 2 train from Harlem in the winter in a red coat and getting the feeling that they were all pointing at me saying "Not one of us" in their best zombie voices. I think color scares them.

Now I think the crisis with shopping is just about every where except maybe NY and LA. I think that's a by product of malls. Malls became a big hit and local independent shops went by the wayside. We are seeing a reversal of that, thank God.
I make it a point to support small business Saturday simply because I hate chain stores. NY neighborhoods have manage to buck that trend.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
OMG I so totally disagree. New yorkers as a whole (outside of those who are in the business) are they most boringest (is that a word) dressers.

Speaking as a ny'er what's their go to fashion?? BLACK. every day, all day, every person, every shape, form or fashion. I've got a freaking 10 year old niece in Brooklyn, what's her go to? Black. When I grew up I went to catholic school so all I could wear was a uniform, I remember thinking I couldn't wait to graduate because every day I could wear what I want. I grew up and then started noticing that everyone and their mama, including me lives in Black.

lol, I remember getting on the 2 train from Harlem in the winter in a red coat and getting the feeling that they were all pointing at me saying "Not one of us" in their best zombie voices. I think color scares them.

Now I think the crisis with shopping is just about every where except maybe NY and LA. I think that's a by product of malls. Malls became a big hit and local independent shops went by the wayside. We are seeing a reversal of that, thank God.
I make it a point to support small business Saturday simply because I hate chain stores. NY neighborhoods have manage to buck that trend.
HAHA thats true: black is boring.
Although I can say that you can wear blacks in different ways and still look fashionable.
Also if you go to BedStuy or even Sunset Park (gasp!), the hipster fashion is on point and colorful.
I have to agree that people in Philly does not know how to dress up except for certain enclaves.
When I moved to Philly from Miami, I just found that people are horribly dressed in general.
You can wear black-black or just a tshirt/sandals but look fashionable.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:02 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,321,723 times
I care about a person's personality if they are just strangers. I would care about their dress, context, appearance, and personality more if I was trying to get to know the person.

Otherwise why should the enclave of dress really matter for a city if you're not the audience of a fashion show or something like that?

Old 11-27-2019, 11:35 AM

508 posts, read 439,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I care about a person's personality if they are just strangers. I would care about their dress, context, appearance, and personality more if I was trying to get to know the person.

Otherwise why should the enclave of dress really matter for a city if you're not the audience of a fashion show or something like that?
As I said, it doesn't matter to me personally, but I think it matters to many people and is one of the layers of elements that leads to people considering a city like NYC, LA or Miami to be exciting and it is not part of the equation of what people consider to be exciting about Philadelphia. People perceive New Yorkers to be sophisticated in a way they don't perceive Philadelphians (or most other cities). The escapism of pretending to be a small part of that world is exciting to many.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:25 PM

3,776 posts, read 1,815,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
As I said, it doesn't matter to me personally, but I think it matters to many people and is one of the layers of elements that leads to people considering a city like NYC, LA or Miami to be exciting and it is not part of the equation of what people consider to be exciting about Philadelphia. People perceive New Yorkers to be sophisticated in a way they don't perceive Philadelphians (or most other cities). The escapism of pretending to be a small part of that world is exciting to many.
Just that ALL quickly can name things about these cites or immediate region. That they can note as EXITING. LA all know Hollywood to Malibu, Coastal lifestyle. Miami gets the Beach and Miami Beach to Palm Beach to the Keys..... Mimi in the Middle. NYC needs no mention of things they note.

Philly is not going to get a exciting not over Ben Franklin, his tomb or Liberty Bell or even Beautiful City Hell to the Rocky steps of the Art Museum. Like other cities. They FO NOT affiliated the Jersey Shore with Philly either. As some locals like to push just a hour+away.

Gaining MORE recognition for its unique aspects of CC to UC and other enclaves. Come in visits and if others tell of the great visit they had to others. Visitors like to be WOWED by visits and New and aspects termed "Must See" places with excitement. They may overlook some negatives more to still get to the places deemed exciting and not to be missed.

We all should know it is hard to match the things some cities universally get recognition for ...... over a city for nice visits to explore ..... but less a Big Exciting label. Philly still gets a bit of the lesser label. Catching up. But city isn't adding much more to increase being a more exciting destination by creating more then just nice improvements.

I think Philly will continue to gain more tourism. But so are other cities. Baltimore got some early hype for its Harbor Place. Still did not spill over to much more there.

Philly adding Independence Mall. Showcases the Hall nicely. When I first saw Independence Hall. I thought it needed much more to showcase it. It was just too just hemmed in all around it then. I just think MORE could be added to the Mall itself too. Wide open in the middle still could have more added, seating and events that bring visitors. Especially its farther half from the Hall itself.

I see the Liberty Bell building as drab and should have had more grandeur. But still the Idea of the Mall was GREAT TO CREATE and a asset. But still added too also.

Just we have to admit that Philly Historic sights. Are Great..... But seen far less as -- Exciting vs some other cities you listed. That we all can name aspects that the term "Exciting" can be added and why they draw visitors.

Philly has a great Core. But a more subdued "IT" factor when people think of exiting. I will add yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or