U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 04:35 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,530,077 times

Advertisements

Enjoying a great evening in front of the Art museum . Live jazz band, food and tons of folks swing dancing. Christmas tree lighting. All free. Can't figure out how to post pictures. Lol Philly Boring?? Not buying it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 04:35 PM

22,688 posts, read 28,028,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I understand my post can be hard to understand at times and typos, grammar and sentence structuring. But my post was FULLY POSITIVE on the Mall built as I noted..... I first saw Independence Hall before the Mall and thought it was all hemmed in I said. It did need a plaza or the Mall. I said nothing on the buildings tore down for the Mall as being slum-like. I don't remember it that way.

As I noted too. Things got added also afterwards. The fountain was a nice touch I noted. So guess it is done now? Great if all is finished then. But early on it did not have additions. Glad more came.

Perhaps more highlighting the Mall and Hall, Bell and Betsy Ross House etc. Is needed more in commercials in links we view that you get city advertisements with them. Even for YouTube video viewing vlogs of visitors to cities. They have intermittent commercials too. Some on cities to visit in these advertisements.

Philly can advertise it more. Especially for Spring thru Autumn. Now There are the top of a Philly skyscraper as a skydeck. To view the city from .... needs advertising toward prospective tourist.

More the city adds. The more to get out the news. GLAD YOU COULD GIVE - KYB01 a laugh. Guess if I wrote Hell in a spot I meant Mall. She supposedly only saw my post as you used it in quote. She climbs in on Ignore. I took that C-D Ignore feature?
The city and the feds were very busy working on that whole area leading up to the Bicentennial.

They reconstructed the Graff house and City Tavern. They advertised to try to acquire a picture of Ben Franklin's house, but no luck on that, so they built the museum underground and the ghost house on the land. Plus the city ran a massive ad campaign, locally, in anticipation of a huge number of tourists telling everyone to be polite to the tourists and helpful to the lost tourists, if our time allowed.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:22 AM

26,275 posts, read 25,015,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The city and the feds were very busy working on that whole area leading up to the Bicentennial.

They reconstructed the Graff house and City Tavern. They advertised to try to acquire a picture of Ben Franklin's house, but no luck on that, so they built the museum underground and the ghost house on the land. Plus the city ran a massive ad campaign, locally, in anticipation of a huge number of tourists telling everyone to be polite to the tourists and helpful to the lost tourists, if our time allowed.
Especially those pesky New Jerseyans.

While looking for old photos of the area, I found this page: peale - Ghost Gardens, Lost Landscapes

Old 11-28-2019, 06:04 PM

9,996 posts, read 5,672,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Enjoying a great evening in front of the Art museum . Live jazz band, food and tons of folks swing dancing. Christmas tree lighting. All free. Can't figure out how to post pictures. Lol Philly Boring?? Not buying it
It was not that long ago that the PMA tree lighting was nothing special. They lit the tree with nothing else going on.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:14 AM

4,549 posts, read 6,123,186 times
What a passive-aggressive title for a thread. And didn't we have this same exact discussion with Philly "failing to live up to its expectations"? Both started by non-native-Philadelphians.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:12 AM

5,647 posts, read 2,749,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The crappy glass building was designed by a major architect although I forget who.
Mitchell/Giurgola Associates (sorry, southbound_295), one of the heavyweights of the Philadelphia School, since vanished like the pavilion it designed, absorbed by another firm. (I really did have this factoid lodged in the back of my head, but did verify via Wikipedia before posting.)

I remember reading a comment to the effect that the building looked like it should be the entrance to the nearby subway station, not a home for the Liberty Bell.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:21 AM

9,996 posts, read 5,672,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
What a passive-aggressive title for a thread. And didn't we have this same exact discussion with Philly "failing to live up to its expectations"? Both started by non-native-Philadelphians.
The one who started this thread loved visiting here.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:49 AM

5,647 posts, read 2,749,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Mitchell/Giurgola Associates (sorry, southbound_295), one of the heavyweights of the Philadelphia School, since vanished like the pavilion it designed, absorbed by another firm. (I really did have this factoid lodged in the back of my head, but did verify via Wikipedia before posting.)

I remember reading a comment to the effect that the building looked like it should be the entrance to the nearby subway station, not a home for the Liberty Bell.
Correcting myself:

It wasn't Mitchell/Giurgola Associates that was absorbed by another firm; they're still around, dba MGA Partners.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:12 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,582,146 times
OP, other than Philadelphia Old City, there is:
Valley Forge National Park where George Washington camped (watch the video in the visitor's center). There is a house that was Washington's headquarters when he camped in Valley Forge.
Gettysburg in driving distance / one night overnight (school kids go there as day trips)
When we visited Valley Forge NP, we were pointed to other places not too far from here where battles were fought (Monmouth, ...) where there is more history to be learnt.

Last edited by FromGA; 11-29-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-29-2019, 10:18 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,582,146 times
I consider Philadelphia to be the first among equals. That is the best city amongst peer cities from Atlanta to Dallas to Baltimiore to Miami and to possibly Chicago.

I consider NYC / DC / Boston (brain factory) / SFO / LAX / possibly Seattle (in case their tech scene is vital) to be a different category of metros, which are primary economic drivers for the USA, and essential for its stature and aura. Apparently what has emerged out of MIT over the years is alone responsible for 2T of annual US GDP (something I recall reading recently, but dont quote me). Boston's universities such as MIT, Harvard, BC, BU, Northeastern, WPI about an hour away are a class apart IMO.

But if you want a normal city that is not in the super city category, you cannot find one better than Philadelphia area for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or